Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 2 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dundee

Premier Division
Aberdeen scorers: McKinlay (OG) 4, Strachan 22 (Pen), Weir 63, Hewitt 68, Strachan 89.
Dundee scorers: Mackie 85 Ferguson 88

31/12/1983 | KO: 15:00


Manager Ferguson had to shuffle his pack a bit for this game, played before a holiday crowd of over 18,000. Mark McGhee had a stomach upset and Alex McLeish was out with an ankle injury. For 84 minutes the Dons ruled and were in irresistible form but they relaxed in the last five minutes and their carelessness contributed to their failure to establish a new defensive record by the end of the season, they lost only 21 goals. Although forced into changes in the team formation, the Dons attacked the Dundee goal immediately. Hogmanay celebrations came early for the home fans when a goal arrived after only 4 minutes. Keeper Geddes failed to keep out a teasing, swerving cross from Peter Weir, and McKinlay entered the festive spirit by knocking the ball into his own unguarded net. Aberdeen now began to dominate and entertain the large crowd and the Dundee defence was under severe pressure and looking very shaky. Geddes was the busiest man on the field and was keeping Dundee in the game. However, he had to admit defeat in 22 minutes when Gordon Strachan gained control and fired his 20 yard shot low past the keeper. The Dens Park team were taking a pounding but suffered no further calamities before the interval, The same could not be said of the referee who was limping and in obvious discomfort. He left the field to be replaced by the senior linesman, with a substitute linesman coming on. Just on the whistle Andy Geddes had a shot saved by Jim Leighton.

The"new" referee knew all about yellow cards and within 7 minutes Fraser was booked for fouling Strachan. The red procession continued towards Bobby Geddes, though in a break¬away, Leighton had to look lively to save a strong drive by Richardson. A first-time shot from Eric Black and a header from Willie Miller kept the pressure on Dundee's hard pressed defence. In 63 minutes the Dark Blues' defence succumbed again as Weir made it 3-0. Strachan collected a clever back heel from Black and Geddes could only punch out the wee man's shot as far as Weir, who gleefully sidefooted the ball into the net. There followed a double substitution, Paterson for Geddes and Tommy Mclntyre for Miller.In 68 minutes Aberdeen scored a fourth goal. Weir set up Ian Angus for a shot from 18 yards Geddes could not take the ball cleanly and John Hewitt moved in to knock the ball into the goal. Again there was a double substitution, with Kidd replacing Richardson and Ian Porteous coming on for Weir. 10 minutes from the end Aberdeen netted a fifth goal via the penalty spot, In one of ther relentless forays into Dundee's penalty ba McKinlay fouled Doug Bell and Strachan made his usual immaculate job of the award. Dundee seemed to realise they had nothing -lose and they threw caution to the wind. Ma:- -. lashed a drive past Leighton in 85 minutes art Ferguson snatched another goal 2 minutes from time. The Dons had won well but they could, and should, have won more decisively.

Source: Match Programme, 30th October 1993

Dundee Teamsheet
Geddes R, Glennie, McKinlay, Fraser, Smith, McDonald, Mackie, Richardson (Kidd 69), Ferguson, McCall, Geddes A (Paterson 65)

Bookings:  Fraser 52,   Mackie 78
Attendance: 18,250
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Muirhead, Renton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride