Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Arbroath 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Arbroath 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Third Round
Aberdeen scorers: Heikkinen 12, Mackie 67.

08/01/2005 | KO: 15:00

Dons ease through in cup

After a ten minute delay to the start of this match Aberdeen booked their place in the fourth round of the cup with a win against Arbroath in wild conditions at Gayfield. Markus Heikkinen headed the Dons into the lead in the 12th minute and despite carving out several chances it took until the 67th minute for the Dons to add a second through Darren Mackie. The match also marked the return of Noel Whelan as he replaced John Stewart late in the second half. The Dons will now be looking for a home tie from Monday's draw.

After a ten minute delay to let the crowd in the match kicked off in a strong wind and the home side had the advantage of these conditions in the first half. Arbroath were pumped up for the match and the opening exchanges saw them concede a series of fouls including a brutal assault on Kevin McNaughton by Alan Brazil. Arbroath carved out the first corner of the match in the fifth minute and Esson punched the ball clear but a second corner seconds later saw Millar fire over. Esson was in action again in the 9th minute making a save from Swankie.

Having weathered this early flurry the Dons settled and won their first corner in the 11th minute. Chris Clark fired the ball across goal and an Anderson header was scrambled off the line and cleared for a second corner that resulted in Aberdeen grabbing the lead. On target was Markus Heikkinen scoring his third goal for the club when he headed Steve Tosh's corner into the net to settle the nerves. Tempers flared in the 15th minute with several players squaring up to each other and when the dust had settled Kevin McMullen and Darren Mackie found themselves in the referee's book.

John Stewart had a chance to extend the Dons lead in the 19th minute with a low drive from 16 yards but keeper Inglis was down smartly to block the effort with his legs. Mackie then went on a strong run but opted to pass when he had created a good shooting chance for himself. Conditions were proving to be difficult as the snow started to fall to add to the problems already created by the wind making it difficult for either side to play decent football.

In the 39th minute Aberdeen carved out another chance when Tosh set up John Stewart but once again Inglis kept the youngster out. Adams then had an effort blocked before Arbroath ventured up the field where MacDonald had his effort blocked and Aberdeen eventually cleared the corner to preserve their lead.

Aberdeen had another chance to extend their lead after the break when Mackie did well to pull down a McGuire pass. Having done the difficult part the striker then hit the ball tamely at Inglis with 49 minutes on the clock. The Dons were missing chance upon chance despite dominating proceedings and Chris Clark was the next to miss when his shot was blocked in the 56th minute then Steve Tosh was denied on the hour mark. Arbroath were making more of a game of it in this half and Calderwood must have been concerned about the missed chances with such a slender lead.

Aberdeen finally grabbed a second in the 67th minute when John Stewart steered a long ball into the path of Darren Mackie and the striker stroked the ball into the net to make it 2-0. A minute later Noel Whelan made a return to first team action when he replaced John Stewart in attack. The Englishman had his first chance five minutes after entering the fray but once again Inglis was good enough to make the stop. Then in the 77th minute Steve Tosh fired over and two minutes later Scott Morrison replaced him. There were no further goals but the Dons will be happy to be in Monday's draw.

Arbroath Teamsheet
Inglis, McMullen, Donaldson, Rennie, McLeod, Bishop, Millar (Cussick  82), MacDonald, Brazil, Henslee (Farquharson  87), Swankie (MacLean  87)

Bookings:  McMullen 15,   Millar 63,   Brazil 88
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Esson, Hart, McGuire, McNaughton, Anderson, Heikkinen, Tosh (Morrison 79), Adams, Mackie, Stewart (Whelan 68), Clark.

Unused Subs: Craig, Foster, Blanchard.

Bookings:  Mackie (15).
Attendance: 4,165
Venue: Gayfield Park, Arbroath
Referee: Brian Winter, Motherwell
Goal hero Markus Heikkinen is covered in mud after helping the Dons to victory.
Chris Clark fights for the ball at Gayfield today.
Markus Heikkinen heads the Dons into the lead today.
Steve Tosh celebrates with Heikkinen after his 12th minute goal.
John Stewart in the thick of the action this afternoon.
Steve Tosh shields the ball at Gayfield.
Derek Adams battles in the midfield.
Calderwood and Nicholl look anxious as the Dons look for a second goal.
Darren Mackie turns away after scoring the second goal.
Tosh and Stewart celebrate with Mackie.
Russell Anderson keeps Arbroath out.