Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Montrose 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Montrose 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Aberdeen scorers: Dempsey 60, Wlodarczyk 63.

12/07/2005 | KO: 19:45

Dons Polished Performance

As expected Kevin McNaughton and Ritchie Byrne returned to the side. The travelling Red Army also got the opportunity to see one of the Dons summer signings as Barry Nicholson makes his first start in a afc jersey.

The other changes from the weekend saw Ryan Esson replace Jamie Langfield in goal and Polish trialist Piotr Wlodarczyk was given the opportunity to show Jimmy Calderwood what he can do.

Kevin McNaughton captained the side.

The first chance of the game fell to Montrose after 3 minutes but Fotheringham put his effort wide. 6 minutes later Watson mishit a shot in the Aberdeen box. The Dons then broke quickly. McNaughton played the ball to Wlodarczyk who ran through the defence and was only stopped by a last ditch tackle.

On 14 minutes Wlodarczyk was in the thick of the action again as he was brought down in the penalty box but the referee waved play on. Then 2 minutes later he was put clean through but his effort was cleared off the line from a tight angle.

Aberdeen then almost gifted Montrose the lead (20 mins) - Hesitancy in the Dons defence allowed Fotheringham to cross but Doyle put his effort wide. 3 minutes later Montrose had another good opportunity but Henslee's header from a corner was cleared off the line.

26 minutes and John Stewart had his first chance of the game. Nicholson played in a good cross from the right but his header was saved by Reid in the Montrose goal.

On the half hour mark Wlodarczyk had another chance but he put his effort just wide after good play by Jamie Smith down the left. 2 minutes later the Pole had another shot blocked after good work this time from Nicholson down the right.

On 35 minutes Fotheringham missed Montrose's best chance of the half as he blasted over from a good position.

Whilst all eyes were on the Polish striker it was another trialist who almost gave Aberdeen the lead. McStay headed just over from a Smith corner. (38 mins)

A minute before the break Considine took a heavy knock after a challenge from Doyle.


Jimmy Calderwood made 2 changes at half time with Dempsey replacing Winter and Muirhead coming on for Considine who was still suffering from the knock he took.

The Dons looked well up for it at the start of the second half and Wlodarczyk was again involved in the action.

On 48 mins he was desperately unlucky as his shot hit the inside of the post. On 52 mins he had another opportunity. John Stewart had a great run, Clark was also involved as he set up the Polish striker but he put his effort wide.

4 minutes later Jamie Smith had a great run but there were no takers for his cross and the ball went just past the post. 2 minutes later Smith again had a great run. This time his cross found Wlodarczyk but he headed just over.

On the hour mark Aberdeen finally took the lead. It was Smith down the left again who created the chance. This time he found Gary Dempsey on the edge of the box. The Irish midfielder then hit a tremendous shot into the top hand corner.

3 minutes later it was 2 and Wlodarczyk got the goal he deserved. Clark played the ball in from the right. His first effort was blocked but he made no mistake with his second chance as he put the ball home from 10 yards.

Aberdeen was now in full control. On 67 mins Clark had another good run but there were no takers as he played the ball across the face of goal. 2 minutes later John Stewart suffered an injury. Although he looked ok he was taken off and replaced by Macaulay a minute later.

On 70 minutes Smith's corner was met by Ritchie Byrne but his half volley was cleared. 9 minutes later McNaughton had a run from his own half. He set up Dempsey but his shot was well saved by the keeper.

On 82 minutes Ritchie Byrne was unable to repeat his heroics of Saturday as he headed Clark's corner just over. 2 minutes later Montrose had their first chance of the second half. Henslee had a good header but Foster was on hand to clear it off the line.

In the final minute Richard Foster then had a good run down the left but again there were no takers in the box.

Montrose Teamsheet
Reid, Donachie, Smith, Doyle, Stephen, Fotheringham, Dodds, Hall, Martin, Watson, Henslee
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Esson, McNaughton, Considine (Muirhead 46), Winter (Dempsey 46), McStay, Byrne, Nicholson (Foster 65), Clark (Adams 85), Wlodarczyk, Stewart (Macaulay 70), Smith.
Attendance: 1,943
Venue: Links Park, Montrose
Referee: J. Lyon