Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Kilmarnock


22/04/2006 | KO: 15:00

Dons fail to break down Killie

Aberdeen failed to breakdown Kilmarnock this afternoon and therefore remained in sixth place. After going unbeaten against Rangers last week the Dons achieved a less welcome statistic this week as they failed to record a win against the Ayrshire men all season. There were chances to win the match with Dempsey being denied by Combe in the first half and Severin being denied by the woodwork after the break. Combe indeed had several fine saves to deny the Dons and with Hibs beating Hearts the European spot could be available but Hibs are favourite to benefit.

The visitor's were unchanged as they kicked off this afternoon and forced the early play without threatening the Dons goal. Aberdeen broke forward in the 5th minute and as Smith was played in he tried to curl in a cross but fired it straight out of play as the winger lost his balance. Aberdeen were starting to get a grip of the game and two minutes later Dempsey delivered a ball into the area and Crawford's shot was easily gathered by Combe.

A penetrating pass from Snoyl released Crawford who went on to win the first corner of the match. It was well defended by Kilmarnock and at the other end Naismith picked up a Wales flick but fired his effort well wide of goal. Three minutes later Clark played a clever one-two with Crawford and fired a powerful effort wide of the target. A minute later Kilmarnock went close when Naismith went on a direct run unto the box only to be halted by a crunching Anderson tackle. The ball then fell to Naismith who fired wide. Two minutes later Dempsey almost opened his account for the Dons with a volley that produced a terrific save from Alan Combe.

Jamie Smith was then brought down on the edge of the D in the 25th minute and having dusted himself down he swerved it past the wall only for it to hit the back of Steve Crawford's head and deflect over the bar. Minutes later some lovely passing play broke down on the edge of the box when Clark took his eye of the ball. Another fine passing move in the 33rd minute ended with a low shot from Crawford, which was easily saved by Combe. Kilmarnock then won their first corner of the match in the 35th minute but Langfield plucked the ball cleanly out of the air.

A second corner followed two minutes later and it was headed clear as the visitor's put Aberdeen under some pressure. Both teams continued to play open attacking football but defences were on top at this stage in the awkward windy conditions. Then in the final minute Nicholson sent in a free kick that saw Combe slip as the ball floated wide of the goal.

A Smith free kick in the 49th minute forced Combe to concede a corner and a second followed a minute later as the ball bounced dangerously inside the Kilmarnock area. The visitor's suffered a blow in the 52nd minute when central defender Simon Ford picked up an injury and had to be substituted. Two minutes later Langfield was called into action when he had to dive low to smother a Johnston effort. Then Smith cut inside and hit a low effort that was beaten away by Combe. The game continued to rage from end to end and Snoyl was forced to concede a corner in the 56th minute.

Langfield gathered the cross but a poor clearance was almost returned with interest as a long range lob drifted wide. Another long-range effort from Naismith two minutes later went well wide before Aberdeen won a free kick on the edge of the box in the 62nd minute. The Dons executed a similar set play to the one that produced an equaliser at Ibrox. This time the luck deserted the Dons as the deflected kick crashed off the post and scrambled clear. A minute later Foster replaced Snoyl. Good play by Diamond in the 68th minute forced another Dons corner and the ensuing scramble saw Combe make another terrific block from Dempsey.

Another shot from Clark in the 71st minute was deflected but unfortunately it fell straight into the arms of the keeper as the Dons failed to get any breaks in front of goal. Kilmarnock then went close in the 77th minute when Nish headed wide from a free kick. Mackie then replaced Nicholson as the Dons looked to find a way past the visitor's defence. It was Kilmarnock who went close however in the 80th minute before the ball was scrambled clear. Calderwood played his final card in the 82nd minute when Macaulay replaced Clark.

Kilmarnock then forced a corner in the 85th minute but the ball was scrambled half clear before a second corner was conceded. This almost produced a sensational winner as Naismith prodded the ball wide after Johnston had nodded the ball back across goal. A minute later Langfield was forced to save from Naismith As Aberdeen were pinned back. There were muted claims for a penalty deep in injury time when Mackie delivered a cross that appeared to hit an arm but the decision would have been harsh. There were no further chances and Aberdeen had to rue some missed chances as they remain in sixth place.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Clark (Macaulay 82), Diamond, Severin, Anderson, McNaughton, Snoyl (Foster 63), Dempsey, Crawford, Smith, Nicholson (Mackie 77).

Unused Subs: Maguire, Griffin, MacFarlane, Esson.

Bookings:  Diamond (84).
Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Combe, Fowler, Hay, Greer, Ford (Wilson 52), Wales, Invincible, Johnston, Naismith, Nish, Wright. Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Greer 78
Attendance: 10,634
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Iain Brines, Erskine
Today's match programme.
Ferne Snoyl in action at Pittodrie today.
Jamie Smith in full flight as he breaks on the wing.
Jimmy Calderwood screams instructions on from the sidelines.
Steve Crawford in action this afternoon.
Smith's free kick looks goal bound until it hits Crawford and deflects over the bar.
Chris Clark in action this afternoon.
No way through for the Dons against a resolute Killie defence.
Combe shows a safe pair of hands at Pittodrie this afternoon.
Russell Anderson had another fine game this afternoon.
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen