Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Kilmarnock scorers: Wales 70

14/10/2006 | KO: 15:00

Skipper blunder cost Dons

A blunder from stand in captain, Scott Severin cost the Dons all three points at Rugby Park this afternoon. Fernandez intercepted his slack pass and he set up Wales to fire in the only goal of the match in the 70th minute. Aberdeen pressed forward after the goal but it was too little too late and despite a strong penalty claim in the final seconds the Dons suffered their third defeat in a row. To add to their woes Lee Miller hobbled off late in the match as the Dons slipped into the bottom half of the league.

After a quiet start to the match Aberdeen carved out the first chance of the match in the 4th minute when Mackie set up Chris Clark and his whipped cross was missed by everyone and slipped wide for a goal kick. The same two players combined a minute later and set up Barry Nicholson who fired in a shot that was deflected for the first corner of the match. Kilmarnock cleared as Considine attacked the ball and Aberdeen were on top at this stage and Lee Miller had a half chance in the 7th minute before Ford halted his progress and Smith gathered.

The Dons won their second corner two minutes later but Diamond headed well wide of the target. Langfield was then forced into a terrific save in the 11th minute when the Dons defence went to sleep and Fernandez fired in a fierce shot that was handled well by the keeper. That effort gave Kilmarnock a lift and Aberdeen were put on the back foot as Killie won their first corner before Aberdeen scrambled the ball clear. Naismith then had a pot shot in the 15th minute when he cut inside and fired over.

There was drama in the 16th minute when Severin brought down Fernandez and was lucky to escape a yellow card with the home crowd screaming for red. The ball was cleared and Mackie went close at the other end forcing Smith into a good save. Hart was then harshly cautioned a minute later as Naismith made a bit of a meal of a challenge. Conversely Nicholson was lucky to escape a caution for a late challenge in the 21st minute. There was further controversy in the 28th minute when Naismith clearly fouled Diamond and broke before being fouled by Dempsey to win a free kick in a dangerous position.

Fortunately the Dons defended the set play and Aberdeen broke and were unlucky not to take the lead when Clark set up Lee Miller and the striker's effort was cleared off the line. Then on the half hour mark Mackie had a glimpse of goal but scooped the effort over the bar. Diamond then suffered a face injury after a robust challenge from Fernandez but returned to the field after treatment. Naismith then set up Fernandez in the 33rd minute after poor defending but the effort went well over. Nicholson wasted a free kick opportunity in the 35th minute before Invincible headed wide at the other end.

Three minutes later Wright committed his umpteenth foul on Lee Miller but the set play ended with Mackie steering the ball well wide. Aberdeen pressed the Killie defence in the last five minutes but couldn't carve out a scoring opportunity. The home side then broke in the 44th minute and Naismith fed Fernandez, but fortunately the striker was flagged offside before he could do any damage. Then deep in injury time a cross from Hay found Invincible at the back post as his effort crashed off the woodwork.

Aberdeen had Hart to thank in the 47th minute with a well timed challenge on Naismith as the striker looked set to pull the trigger. Seconds later Wales fired over then Aberdeen broke and had a penalty claim as Miller appeared to be brought down by keeper Smith, but the Kilmarnock stopper came away with the ball and referee Conroy allowed play to continue. Mackie then fired wide from distance in the 50th minute as both sides looked to make the breakthrough. A minute later Ex-Dons youth player, Ryan O'Leary, replaced Simon Ford, making his first appearance of the season.

A Dons corner two minutes later was fired over by Severin before Mackie was released by Langfield but had to settle for a corner after delaying his shot. Aberdeen were then forced to soak up some pressure and appeared happy to allow Mackie to chase long balls all afternoon. Nicholson had an opportunity in the 66th minute but a well-timed tackle by O'Leary denied Nicholson then a minute later good play from Mackie set up Lee Miller but the striker missed from only six yards.

Two minutes later Daal replaced Dempsey with Mackie moving out to the left as the Dons looked to try and carve out the win. Before Daal could make an impact a Severin blunder handed the home side what was to prove to be the winner when a poor pass was intercepted by Fernandez and found Wales who fired the ball past Langfield. Aberdeen then charged forward looking for an equaliser with Considine failing to convert a Severin cross. Murray was booked in the 74th minute after taking Mackie out of the play and before the free kick could be taken Dan Smith replaced Considine.

Decisions were starting to go against the Dons now as Daal looked to have won a corner but referee Conroy awarded the goal kick allowing Killie to break and forcing Langfield into a save by turning the ball round the post. A mix up at the back saw Diamond slice the ball for a corner then earn himself a yellow card possibly for speaking out of turn. At the other end Diamond went close to levelling when Smith came for a cross, missed it and allowed Diamond to loop a header on to the top of the net. Smith then gathered a Daal knock down before Miller went down in a challenge with Johnstone and had to be replaced by Maguire.

Aberdeen continued to look for an equaliser and won a corner in the first minute of injury time. Goal scorer Wales cleared before Severin returned the ball into the box from a throw in. The ball was cleared for a corner and bizarrely referee Conroy awarded a goal kick. Then in the last second Foster was taken down inside the Kilmarnock box but referee Conroy failed to award the spot kick and immediately blew his whistle for full time.

Match Stats:

Killie Dons
Goal Attempts 17 8
On Target 8 2
Corners 7 6
Possession 55% 45%

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Smith, Fowler, Hay, Ford (O'Leary 50), Naismith, Wales, Invincible, Johnstone, Wright, Murray, Fernandez

Bookings:  Murray 74
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Hart, Considine (Smith 74), Dempsey (Daal 68), Diamond, Severin, Nicholson, Foster, Mackie, Miller (Maguire 89), Clark.

Unused Subs: Smith, Donald, Macaulay, Soutar.

Bookings:  Hart (17),  Diamond (84).
Attendance: 5,700
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: Steve Conroy, Busby
Lee Miller in action this afternoon.
Chris Clark was the only Dons player to receive pass marks from Jimmy Calderwood.
Both managers look frustrated with events on the pitch.
Lee Miller beats a defender as he looks for his first Dons goal.
Darren Mackie is challenged for the ball this afternoon.
Scott Severin can't believe it as his mistake costs the Dons.
Gary Wales is happy to accept the gift.
Lee Miller ends his day in agony as he limps off late in the game.
Ex Don O'Leary stops Nicholson as he shoots.
It takes two defenders to halt Dyron Daal at Rugby Park.
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen