Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Leith Athletic

East Scotland League
Aberdeen scorers: Low (Pen).
Leith Athletic scorers: Moffatt, McCulloch

20/04/1907 | KO:

Leith Athletic supplied the opposition at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon, when they met Aberdeen in an East of Scotland league match. There was a fairly large attendance when the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Boyle, Gault; Davidson, Strang, W. Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Wilson, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Leith Athletic: Kinghorn; Walker, Richardson; Denavon, Hamilton, Winning; Sinclair, Walker, McCulloch, Moffatt, Noor.
Referee - Mr. Winter, Dundee.

Aberdeen won the toss, and the visitors immediately attacked on the left. Noor somewhat easily got the better of Boyle, and centred accurately, but Gault, rushing in, sent well down. The ball was returned by Walker, and Aberdeen's backs had to clear long shots from the left. Aberdeen soon took up the running, and good play was shown by O'Hagan and Lennie at the Leith end. The Irish internationalist was well watched, and his play was not so effective as usual. He was repeatedly brought up and robbed of the ball when on the point of shooting. Aberdeen's left-wing forced two corners in quick succession, but they proved fruitless. A series of attacks on both goals followed, visiting forwards being more dangerous than the home lot, who were very erratic at times. Aberdeen's backs were none too safe, especially Gault who frequently missed his kick. The local defence was worried, and several good shots were sent in, especially once by McCulloch, he just missed by a few inches. Mutch was beat all the way, and it would have been a certain goal had it been on the mark. After some fine play by the local halves, Simpson and Macdonald got away on the right, beating the halves and backs on the run. The ball was sent to the centre, but Wilson was blocked by Richardson. Aberdeen returned and attacked strongly, but in spite of the many openings presented they failed to shoot straight. A breakaway by the visitors' left-wing resulted in the first goal being scored. Noor centred accurately, and McCulloch, after beating Gault, sent over to Moffatt, who beat Mutch with a long, swift shot. One Aberdeen put more life into their play after this reverse, but their well-meant efforts were of no avail against the hustling play of the Leith halves, who broke up all attempts at combination by the local forwards. Aberdeen were granted a foul well in, which resulted in the ball going dangerously near the visitors' goal-line. The Leith backs were kept busy for a few minutes, but they did their work well, and the locals were driven to their own end, where Mutch, in saving several soft shots, was slow in his movements, and none too safe. Play now ranged from end to end, and swift shots by Lennie were smartly dealt with by Kinghorn. Aberdeen's forwards could make no impression on the visitors' defence, which was far ahead of that of the home team. A soft shot as weakly cleared by Mutch, and McCulloch, rushing in, scored the visitors' second goal. Leith out played Aberdeen as the game advanced, and it would have occasioned no surprise had the again scored.

Aberdeen immediately attacked on the game being resumed. Kinghorn saved a capital shot from Macdonald. Aberdeen attacked with great persistency, but the visitors' defence was sound, and repelled all raids. A rush to the other end by the Leif forwards resulted in Boyle giving away a corner. The ball was well placed, but Boyle relieved with his head. Aberdeen gradually forced the visitors to their own end, where McCulloch gave away a penalty by handling. Lennie took the kick, and sent ball into the goalkeeper's hands and that player easily disposed of it. Aberdeen now continued to have more of the play, and were granted another penalty for one of the backs handling within the dreaded area. W. Low, who was entrusted with the kick, made no mistake, sending the ball into the net, Kinghorn touching, but failing to turn it to side. The homesters then forced several corners, but the defence prevailed. Aberdeen played strongly all through the second half, but failed to again score.

The gate and stands amounted to £40.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd April 1907

Hard Play has its Reward.

By simply finessing about with the ball, and trying all sorts of antics except to make the ball go into the goal net, Aberdeen threw away their chance of the East of Scotland League on Saturday. Leith gave an exhibition of go-ahead play - never flinching when they were pressed - with the tangible result of two goals before the first half was thirty-five minutes gone. These two goals might have been saved with a pair of capable backs prepared to do their best. There was some little excuse for Gault on the first occasion, but none can be offered on behalf of Boyle, who simply made the second goal a gift to Leith. No wonder the forwards were upset at such slackness, but it was found to have this effect on the nerves of those attacking. There was less of the sand-jig dancing in the second period, but the effort was too late, as Leith's halves and backs had got the measure of what their opponents could do, and if they could not check them one way they did it another. Lennie is not a successful penalty kick scorer, and we suppose he regretted that he gave into the clamour of the crowd on this occasion. W. Low took the second one, which proved the only goal Aberdeenn got. As we have indicated, Leith won by 2-I by an exhibition of hard play, seizing the opportunities as they came and making the most of them, while Aberdeen were about as ragged in their play as they have been for some time.

We are afraid the same will have to be done with the Aberdeen' Charity Ties if progress is not made soon. Aberdeen A and the Harp played off their tie on Wednesday night of this week.
An effort is being made to give some pecuniary assistance to Willie Corbet, the trainer to Aberdeen in the Chanonry days. Willie has fallen on a bad patch lately, with his health, and is not making much progress.
Aberdeen get over their difficulty with the League arrange¬ment by playing the Hihs at Aberdeen on the May holiday.
This will cause a delay in the fixture with Dundee for the High Cup.
Newcastle United are to have a big following of players with them on their tour north.
They are to play their best available eleven at Pittodrie on Saturday.
There is, no further progress in the signing-on at Pittodrie since last week. The manager has been in Glasgow attending League meetings and other business preparatory to next year's work.
We cannot credit all the rumours that are going the rounds, and have more faith in the commonsense of the players, who know well enough that the Club cannot pay fancy wages such as are spoken about.
There is a strong feeling that O'Hagan should be kept, if possible, but if his price is too high, by all means let him go. We fancy there are as good fish in the sea as ever came out.
A few changes are absolutely necessary, and the weakness of some, players was glaringly exemplified on Saturday. The absence of Macfarlane, Halket, and Henry Low made a big difference to the team.
Boyle and Gault were as ineffective as a pair of backs could be and were responsible for both goals. Gault improved in the second half, but the right back was never safe.
Willox and Brebner could have given them points, and we would like to see them tried against Newcastle. They could not do worse than the other pair on Saturday's form.
McKenzie failed to travel with the A team on Saturday, and Urquhart had a try at outside left.
St. Johnstone, by their victory over Arbroath on Saturday, await the decision of the Aberdeen-East Stirlingshire game for the final of the Dewar Shield.

Source: Bon-Accord, 25th April 1907

Leith Athletic Teamsheet
Kinghorn; Walker, Richardson; Denavon, Hamilton, Winning; Sinclair, Walker, McCulloch, Moffatt, Noor
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Winter, Dundee
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen