Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 3 St. Johnstone

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 2 St. Johnstone

Dewar Shield Final
Aberdeen scorers: Warnock, Yorston, Yorston 76.
St. Johnstone scorers: Stewart, Cameron, Caul 75.

20/08/1930 | KO: 19:00

FINAL OF DEWAR SHIELD. Aberdeen Only Draw With St Johnstone.


In the final of the Dewar Shield competition at Pittodrie last night Aberdeen and St Johnstone divided six goals, and a replay at Perth will be necessary.
It was a fairly well-contested game, but the play of Aberdeen was, to say the least, a bit disappointing.
Cummings in goal was not quite at his best, and Cooper could not cope with the Perth left wing. The half-back line played to form, but the attack failed because the of the ineffectiveness of the inside wing forwards.
Yorston at centre-forward was in a class by himself, and was unlucky not to have won the game for his side. Love, until coming by an injury, was his usual self, and Warnock, who was introduced at outside left, while plainly out of position, made the best of the few chances he got. He badly lacked support.
St Johnstone owe their second chance largely to mcLaren, their goalkeeper, who brought off several brilliant saves. Steele was sound at back, end Ferguson and McBain played well at wing half. In attack the Perth team was best served by Stewart, Cameron, and Nicholson.

Run of Game.

St Johnstone made the running at the start, and early on Cummings had to clear from Nicholson and Cameron. The visitors kept up the offensive, and might have taken the lead had not Nicholson shot feebly and wide when close in. Aberdeen improved, and from Warnock?s centre Yorston was only baulked by numbers. Shortly afterwards the Perth goal had another escape when from a cross by Warnock Love headed just high.
Aberdeen's best try for goal, so far, came from Warnock, who dropped the ball just wide of McLaren's charge. This was followed by Love sending a fierce shot against the Perth keeper. Later the home right winger lashed the ball across the visitors' goal, but there was nobody up to connect.
Aberdeen had developed a dangerous attack, and following a free kick Yorston just missed with a header. Aberdeen kept up the offensive. David shot wildly after fine work by Love.

On the Lead.

In a break-away St Johnstone took the lead. Nicholson crossed close to the goal-line, and Stewart running in bashed the ball past Cummings.
Yorston netted almost immediately for Aberdeen, but David was given offside, and the point disallowed.
When St Johnstone attacked the home defence was not too sound, and they nearly fell further in arrears when Stewart headed against the bar.
Aberdeen pegged away, and after David had missed badly, Warnock met a Love pass to shoot the equaliser.

A Yorston Goal.

Aberdeen were in more confident mood after this and Dickie went near from close range. Then came a typical Yorston goal. He ran to meet the ball at the same time as McLaren, and as they met the centre forward flashed the ball into the net. St Johnstone were not two minutes in arrears, as Nicholson got away and from the winger's pass, Cameron gave Cummings no chance.

Post Intervenes.

St Johnstone were relieved of an awkward situation when, following Warnock's shot, there was a scrimmage in the Perth goal until a free kick was given for a foul on the keeper. Then followed an exciting incident. Yorston cleverly slipped the ball across the goal-mouth, and Love shot against the post for the ball to rebound to the keeper. Even then the danger was not cleared, but McLaren fisted over from Love's second try.
Shortly afterwards the Perth goal had another escape when Yorston went through to hit the post and repeat the performance from the rebound.

Quick Scoring.

With half an hour gone, St Johnstone took the lead. Nicholson got away to centre, and Paul taking the ball first time crashed it into the net.
Aberdeen were only a minute in arrears, as Yorston got through to shoot a brilliant goal.
Following this McLaren brought off two wonderful saves in quick succession. The first was from a free kick by the home centre-half, and the second from a tremendous shot by Love following a corner by Dickie.
in the closing stages Aberdeen, and especially Yorston, made great efforts to prevent a replay, but McLaren and erratic shooting denied them success.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st August 1930

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Cumming, Cooper, Legge, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, Dickie, Yorston, David, Warnock.
St. Johnstone Teamsheet
McLaren, Steele, Hogg, Ferguson, Bain, McBain, Caul, Deuchar, Stewart, Cameron, Nicholson.
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R.Morrison (Falkirk).
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow