Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 1 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Falkirk

Dewar Shield Final
Aberdeen scorers: Love, McMeekin 4, Hill 48, Yorston 55, McMeekin.
Falkirk scorers: Dyet

19/08/1931 | KO: 19:00


Aberdeen retained possession of the Dewar Shield by defeating Falkirk by five goals to one in the final of the competition at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, last night. Rain fell at intervals and the attendance was about 5000. Aberdeen took the lead early, McMeekin scoring a smart goal four minutes from the start. Following this, play was of an even nature, both goals being attacked in turn. Morgan and the veteran Gallagher were prominent in the visitors' attack. Falkirk fell away after the interval, and Aberdeen were easily superior, scoring three goals in quick succession. Hill, who was the outstanding player on the field, got the first; Yorston the next, and Love the third. Dyet got Falkirk's goal following slackness on the part of the Aberdeen defence. McMeekin brought the "Dons" total to five.
Aberdeen were well served by Hill, McLaren, Yorston, and Love; and Falkirk by Scobie, Hamill, Gallagher and Morgan.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 20th August 1931

Aberdeen defeated Falkirk the final of the Dewar Shield at Pittodrie last night by five goals to one. McMeekin (2), Love, Yorston, and Hill were the scorers for the winners.


Falkirk Outclassed at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen have won their first trophy of the season. At Pittodrie las night they retained the Dewar Shield, by beating Falkirk by 5 goals to 1.
There was heavy rain before the start, which adversely affected the attendance, and, although the conditions improved, there was another breakdown before the finish. All the same, there were 5000 spectators.
Aberdeen were much the better team from start to finish, and their superiority was especially pronounced in the second half, when they were handicapped practically for the whole period by the absence of McLean through injury.

An Early Lead

After five munutes Aberdeen t°°k the lead, McLean crossing finely, and McMeekin netting from a crowd of players, Thomson being unsighted.
Play developed on fast lines. Thomson saved from McDermid, and Smith was in action to shots by Gall and Morgan. The respective left wings showed to advantage. Gallagher took the eye with clever leading-up work, and the McDermid-McLean wing was very dangerous. From one of McLean's crosses Yorston headed inches high of the visitors' goal. Falkirk forced two corners which availed them nothing, and several shots were blocked by the home defence. Subsequently Aberdeen attacked vigorously, and McLean, Yorston, and Hill all went close with creditable shots. Aberdeen had been the more dangerous sides, and deserved their interval lead of 1-0.

Falkirk Crack Up

The second half was only three minutes old when Aberdeen got a second goal. McDermid got away and passed to Hill, who ran on to beat a defender and whip the ball into the net with great force.
Aberdeen continued to have the better of the exchanges, and after ten minutes Yorston met a centre by Hill to cutely head the ball into the net.
A fourth goal followed quickly. Yorston and Love temporarily changed places, and from Yorston's centre, Love netted from close in.
Aberdeen had the issue well in their keeping, and McLean who had previously been injured, retired.

Aberdeen on Top

Even with a man short Aberdeen continued to hold the upper hand, and although Falkirk made spasmodic raids, Smith was not troubled. The visitors' goal had a narrow escape when McLaren sent a terrific free kick against the crossbar.
Roughness developed, and in a breakaway in which Jackson missed, Dyet scored for Falkirk. Aberdeen came again, and McMeekin scored a fifth goal after the ball had rebounded from the goalkeeper off a shot by Yorston. Aberdeen won just as easily as the score indicates.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th August 1931

Falkirk Teamsheet
Thomson, Scobie, Hamill, Kennedy, Richardson, Hutchison, Dyet, Morgan, Archibald, Gallagher, Gall.
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W.Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen