Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Alloa Athletic 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Alloa Athletic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Dewar Shield Semi Final First Leg
Alloa Athletic scorers: Bell 10, Wallace (pen) 30
Aberdeen scorers: Conwell 47, Armstrong 57.

14/08/1934 | KO: 15:00


Share Four Goals After Being Down at Half-time.,/p> Aberdeen appeared at Alloa last night in the semi-final of the Dewar Shield competition, and, after being two goals down at the interval, forced a replay as the result of clever goals by Conwell and Armstrong. There were 6000 spectators.

Alloa's two-goal lead at the interval could hardly be treated as an indication of the run of play.
The visitors maintained good positional play throughout, and an active front line executed some dangerous thrusts in the opening stages.
Alloa took the lead after ten minutes. They had been awarded a free-kick near the touchline, and following this Bell, who was well situated, scored from a pass by Wallace.
Midfield exchanges were frequent and pretty evenly divided. With a strong shot, Beynon sent right across the goal, when with a little better judgment he might have put his side on an equal footing.
Alloa went further ahead after half hour.

Penalty Protest.

Alloa were awarded a penalty. The decision brought a protest from the Aberdeen defence. The referee consulted with the linesmen, who upheld his finding. Wallace was entrusted with the kick, and, driving a hard, low shot to the corner of the net, gave Smith no chance.
Aberdeen, who had Conwell at inside left, opened their account through this player just after the resumption. The ball came over from the right, and Conwell, being well placed, drove it past Muir.
Ten minutes later Armstrong levelled the scores by counting from close in.
Aberdeen were showing fine judgment in their passing, but a staunch defence prevented them from putting Muir to a severe test.
Following a corner by Beynon, Spittal disappointed by shooting recklessly past from close in.
There was plenty of life in the game afterwards, but there were few thrills.
Alloa lost a golden opportunity to regain the lead. Nicolson parted to Guthrie, but the latter's shot was wide.
Aberdeen's best in attack were Conwell, Beynon, and Armstrong, while Falloon was a strong pivot and Cooper the better back.
Alloa were well served forward by Nicolson and Guthrie, while Richardson and Irvin were strong at half and Kerr at back, while Muir in goal gave a good account of himself.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th August 1934

Alloa Athletic Teamsheet
Muir; Clark, Kerr; Richardson, Irvine, Robertson; Nicolson, Wallace, Bell, Guthrie, Borland
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Recreation Park, Alloa
Referee: W. Findlay, Freuchie
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride