Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Falkirk

Dewar Shield Final
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 52, Brown 75, Armstrong.

09/10/1935 | KO: 15:00


Falkirk Out of Luck: But Poor Finishing to Blame for Defeat


Aberdeen gained their eleventh success in the Dewar Shield at Pittodrie yesterday, when they defeated Falkirk by three goals to nil. It was not an inspiring match, but play was always interesting, and the issue was in doubt until quarter an hour from the end.
Falkirk, who ousted the holders, St Johnstone, in the previous round, put up a plucky display, and, had their finishing been on par with their outheld work, they would certainly not have been defeated by such a margin.
The Bairns gave as good as they got, and the outfield work of the forwards and half-backs compared favourably with that of Aberdeen.
Time and again the Brockville attackers carried the ball downfield, and although their efforts were not always attended by the best of fortune, the finishing of the forwards left a great deal to be desired.
Aberdeen were fairly sound in defence, with Steve Smith and Cooper outstanding. The right back saw to it that Kenny Dawson, the Falkirk left winger from Forres, who leads the marksmen in the Second Division, got few chances to shine.
Thomson took the honours at half-back, although both Gavin and Falloon worked hard.

Mills Below Form

The attack was clever and cohesive, but took too long to break down the Falkirk defence. Armstrong was a hard-working leader, and McKenzie a clever inside support. Mills played below form, but Beynon was a speedy and dangerous right winger.
Brown, the former Shawfield Juniors inside left, who deputised for Lang the extreme wing, tried hard. It was his initial appearance in the first team, and the experience will have done him good.
Falkirk's defence put up courageous display. The club have made a find in "Newman," who kept goal. He was as cool as a cucumber and had many fine saves to his credit. Hamill and Nisbet gave him excellent support.
Shankley worked hard and with a fair measure of success, while Batchelor was a clever right half.
Carruthers was an enterprising right winger, and Keyes a dashing leader, but the centre-might have made better use of one or two chances that came his way.

Dawson Early Prominent

Dawson was early prominent when he forced a corner off Cooper but the kick proved fruitless. Close passing by Armstrong and Mills spelt danger, but the defence prevailed.
The "Bairns" were going well, and Carruthers beat two men before being crowded out in the act of shooting.
Cooper twice stopped Dawson, and Armstrong followed with a drive which skimmed the bar. Then the "Bairns" had hard luck. Keyes followed up a loose ball and crossed from the bye-line for Carruthers to send the ball in near the post. The winger was adjudged to have used his hand and the point was knocked off.

Crowd Impatient

The crowd was getting impatient, but the Dons' attack could not get going and a goal did not seem likely to materialise.
Aberdeen's goal was in danger from a movement initiated by "Newman," and Keyes, Dawson, and Carruthers all had headers before the ball was cleared.
It was nearly all Falkirk for a short spell. Keyes was proving a hot handful for Falloon, and once eluded the Irishman to fire in a ball which Smith was glad see go past.
Only a fine full length save by Smith kept out a drive by Newman, twice Keyes swept the ball outside the post with Smith seemingly well beaten.
"Newman" brought off a confident clearance, but a minute later he missed a pass back by Hamill.
Brown, with the goal yawning in front of him, struck the upright for the ball to rebound into play.
Half-time arrived with the score sheet blank.

Aberdeen Apply Pressure

Aberdeen resumed in spirited style and Brown shot past, while Hamill held McKenzie after the latter had beaten two men.
Aberdeen were applying strong pressure and Newman had to run out and punch clear.
The long-awaited goal came in seven minutes when Armstrong- headed home a neatly placed cross by Brown.
Aberdeen were playing better-with the lead and "Newman" threw himself at Armstrong's feet to bring off a daring clearance.
Falkirk were not done yet and "Newman" slipped the ball across the goalmouth, but there was nobody up. Then Dawson headed over from a corner.
The Bairns almost equalised after the best movement of the game. Cowan was the instigator and Carruthers finished it with a full-blooded drive which Smith tipped over the bar.

Near Things

Play deteriorated, and the home team seemed content to hang on to their lead. They almost lost it on two occasions.
Smith ran out to kick clear with Keyes on his top, and later a piledriver by was stopped by Falloon. The Falkirk goal had an equally narrow escape when Hamill got in the way of a shot by Mills.
In thirty minutes Aberdeen became two up. Mills banged the ball against the bar with "Newman' beaten. The ball went to McKenzie, off whose drive "Newman" effected a great clearance, but Brown fastened on and smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Armstrong's Goal

After a Carruthers' drive had flashed past, Armstrong put Aberdeen three up with a smartly taken goal. He dispossessed Shankley and shot goalwards. "Newman" could only knock the ball down inside the post, and it fell over the line.
Falkirk were worth a goal, but they missed a great chance when Keyes got through and shot weakly for Smith to save at full length.
Falkirk's luck was dead out, and in a scramble the ball came off the post to Smith sitting on the ground. The keeper was able to throw the ball clear.

At the conclusion of the match Mr. Stewart, Perth, chairman of the Dewar Committee, handed over the trophy and watches to the Aberdeen Club, and congratulated them on their victory. F. J. Whitehead, chairman, replied on behalf of the Aberdeen Club.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th October 1935

Falkirk Teamsheet
Newman, Nisbet, Hamill, Batchelor, Shankly, Docherty, Carruthers, Newman, Keyes, Cowan, Dawson.
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: M.C.Hutton, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride