Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Brechin City 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Brechin City 0 - 1 Aberdeen

David Will Memorial Match
Brechin City scorers: McKenna 47, McAllister 71
Aberdeen scorers: Fyvie 16, Considine 90.

03/08/2010 | KO: 19:45

Late Strike Earns Draw Against Brechin

Aberdeen left it late at Glebe Park as a Considine header gave them a draw in their penultimate pre season match against Brechin City. The fixture was a memorial match for the late David H. Will CBE, Former Brechin City FC Chairman, SFA President and FIFA Vice President.

In front of a good crowd Aberdeen took a 1-0 lead into the half time interval after producing their best football of the pre-season in the opening 20 minutes. They were rewarded with a goal in the 16th minute when Fyvie netted a Considine cross after Maguire had crashed the ball off the Brechin crossbar. Ryan Jack looked impressive at right back and Maguire and Fyvie continue their impressive pre season form. In the final minute of the half the Brechin keeper made a fantastic save to deny Paul Hartley his opening goal for the club.

After making several changes at the interval the Dons were caught out as they tried to re-organise as McKenna levelled for the home side. Aberdeen then failed to produce the form of the first half and Brechin took a deserved lead in the 71st minute when McAllister headed home a cross that Howard got a hand to, but couldn't keep out. Aberdeen improved nearer the close and in the 90th minute Megginson was brought down. Hartley chipped in a great ball and Considine headed home to make it 2-2. Hartley and Considine will have benefited from the 90 minutes and Peter Pawlett is starting to shape up well as the season approaches.

The Dons lined up with Howard in goal, Jack at right back, Diamond in the centre of defence with McArdle and Considine at left back. The midfield three were Hartley, Fyvie and Young with Mackie doing the midfield and attacking role on the right. When possible he was getting forward to support Magennis and Maguire up front.

With Hamilton boss Billy Reid watching on from the stands Brechin started the game brightly and Ryan Jack was forced to give away a corner. After 5 minutes Ryan Jack then stopped another good opportunity with a fine tackle. On 6 minutes Aberdeen had their first chance when Maguire picked out Young but his effort was deflected behind for a corner. Hartley swung in a dangerous ball which was eventually cleared. Hartley's ability at set piece plays is going to be another massive positive in the season ahead.

Then Considine fired in a fine cross from the left. Josh Magennis got in front of his marker and sent a good header goal wards but his effort went inches wide. Then on 8 minutes, again a good cross from the left, this time swung in by Young, went across the face of goal and Darren Mackie, coming in at the back post was inches away from scoring. On 11 minutes Ryan Jack showed some neat foot work to create space for himself. His cross found Magennis but he could not quite get enough on his header.

The Dons were really looking lively at this point and were playing some good football at pace. On the quarter hour mark Maguire broke clear. He turned inside and found Fyvie who laid the ball off to Magennis. He effort was blocked but the ball broke back to Maguire who hammered the ball off the cross bar. The ball however was not really cleared and Andy Considine swung in another superb cross from the left which Fraser Fyvie headed home.

Fraser then should have had his and the Dons second. Maguire, who was once again looking very pacey, played the ball in from the right. Fraser had the goal square in front of him but he completed miscued his shot.

The Dons were well at top at this stage and the midfield pairing of Hartley and Fyvie was impressing in the middle of the park.

However on 26 minutes Young gave the ball away and Brechin broke. The ball found its way to McAllister. The ex Dons striker was one on one with Diamond and although he failed to beat the defender his shot deflected off Zander and Mark Howard did well react and save from close range. That gave Brechin some confidence though and Charlie King put a chance just past Howard's post. On the half hour mark Zander had an excellent tackle to prevent another chance. At the other end Magennis showed good strength to shield the ball for Maguire but his shot was blocked.

34 minutes and Hartley and Fyvie combined to set up Magennis and although the striker did well to make space for himself he shot over. At the other end slack play allowed in King again and again he shot just wide. On 38 minutes a great move by Brechin, the best of the game had the Dons defenders caught slightly out of position but Considine saved the day with a superb tackle. On the stroke of half time Magennis was upended just outside the box. Paul Hartley took the free kick which beat the wall but not David Scott in the Brechin goal who made a fine save as he must have seen the shot extremely late.

At half time Ifil replaced Diamond, Folly replaced Fyvie, Pawlett replaced Mackie, Vernon replaced Magennis and finally Paton replaced Mackie. The Dons lined up in a more obvious 4-4-2 shape with Pawlett wide and Paton and Vernon up front.

In the opening minutes of the second half whilst the team were still regrouping and adjusting to the changes they got themselves in a tangle at the back and Howard, trying to play the ball to Considine picked out McAllister. The striker showed compsure and put the ball across the goal for David McKenna to score. The goal lifted the home side and shortly afterwards King showed some great skill and then fired just over.

Aberdeen were really struggling to get anything going at this stage of proceedings. 64 minutes and Megginson came on for Young. Paton moved to left midfield and Mitch played up top with Vernon.

Brechin were looking the better team and the impressive King fired another shot just wide. They did however take the lead on 71 minutes. A cross from the left was met by McAllister and one of Scotland's top scorers last season bulleted a header past Howard. Although he did well to get a hand on it he could do little to keep it out.

The goal did however force Aberdeen back into life. Scott Vernon showed some great foot work and played Paton in on the left but he lost possession. Then in the final stages an opening was created but Folly fired over. Mitch Megginson had half a chance but fired into the side netting and at the other end Howard did just enough to get a touch on a long cross to stop another certain goal. Play raced to the other end and Megginson was brought down just on the edge of the box. Up stepped Hartley. He played a clever little chip in to the front post area and Considine ran in to power a header home. The drama was not over and Brechin could have won it in the dying seconds but the Dons defence held firm.

An entertaining game. Ryan Jack was the pick of the Dons players and he looked very comfortable at right back.

Team: Howard - Jack, McArdle, Diamond (Ifil), Considine -  Young (Megginson), Hartley, Fyvie (Folly), Mackie (Pawlett) - Maguire (Paton), Magennis (Vernon)

RedImages please click here

RedTV |  Mark McGhee Post Match Interview please click here

RedTV Yoann Folly Post Match Interview please click here


Brechin City Teamsheet
1 David Scott (17 Scott Morrison 57), 2 Andrew Cook (15 Paul McLean 74), 3 Calum Booth, 4 David White, 5 Ewan Moyes (16 Gerry McGlaughlan 74), 6 Neil Janczyk (14 Barry Smith 63), 7 Kevin Byers, 8 Mark Docherty, 9 Rory McAllister, 10 David McKenna (12 Craig Molloy 63), 11 Charlie King.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Howard, Jack, McArdle, Diamond (Ifil 46), Considine, Young (Megginson 65), Hartley, Fyvie (Folly 46), Mackie (Pawlett 46), Maguire (Paton 46), Magennis (Vernon 46).
Attendance: 1,791
Venue: Glebe Park, Brechin
Referee: Matt Northcroft