Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Alloa Athletic 0 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Alloa Athletic 0 - 2 Aberdeen

League Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Hartley 18 (Pen), McArdle 38, Maguire 60.

24/08/2010 | KO: 19:45

Dons Three and Easy, But Injuries Dampen Win

Aberdeen enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win at Alloa to see them safely through to the next round. The Dons went ahead in the 17th minute when Billy Gibson made a poor pass back and Fyvie was straight on to the loose ball. As he rounded the keeper he was brought down and the referee had no alternative but to show Robertson a red card. When the replacement goalkeeper came on Hartley made no mistake from the spot to put Aberdeen ahead. McArdle then grabbed his first goal for the club following a Hartley corner and the Dons saved the best to last as Maguire hit a screamer to make it 3-0. Both Fyvie and Diamond went off injured as the Dons finished the match with ten men.

Aberdeen kicked off, but it was Alloa who had the first shot on goal when McDonald attempted an ambitious effort in the 2nd minute. A minute later Hartley released Magennis, but the Alloa keeper was smartly off his line to snub the threat. In the 4th minute Maguire went down awkwardly and he looked to be in a lot of pain. After extensive treatment the Dons striker returned to the acction. He instantly won a free kick that resulted in a good spell for the Dons before Robertson collected a Fyvie cross.

Aberdeen were enjoying the bulk of the possesion and in the 11th minute they won a free kick 25 yards out. The effort from Hartley was deflected off the wall giving Aberdeen the first corner of the match, but they failed to capitalise. A snapshot from McDonald went wide in the 13th minute and the match official awarded a corner although it is unclear where the deflection came from. A second corner quickly followed and Walker went close with a header that went inches wide. Aberdeen then won a penalty in the 16th minute as Alloa were reduced to ten men.

Billy Gibson made a poor pass back and Fyvie was straight on to the loose ball. As he rounded the keeper he was brought down and the referee had no alternative but to show Robertson a red card. When the replacement goalkeeper came on Hartley made no mistake from the spot to put the Dons ahead. Aberdeen should have made it 2-0 in the 26th minute following good build up play from Mackie and Fyvie. Maguire took the ball first time, but sent it over the top. A minute later the substitute keeper made a fine save from Magennis.

Aberdeen were building up the pressure now and Hartley sent an effort inches over the top after some more good build up play. On the half hour mark Ifil conceded a free kick in a dangerous position and Howard made a fine save from a low Prunty shot. Aberdeen won a corner in the 37th minute and it resulted in a second goal. Hartley swung the ball into the danger area and Alloa failed clear their lines and McArdle was on hand to head the ball into the net from six yards.

Alloa were nothing if not plucky and Smith went on a great run and finished with a shot that was deflected wide. Three minutes from the interval a great ball into the box just evaded Magennis. Fyvie then picked up a nasty knock after catching his studs on the plastic pitch and he was taken from the field on a stretcher. Young eventually replaced the youngster and in the dying seconds Alloa won a corner, but Aberdeen cleared their lines to maintain their two goal advantage.

Aberdeen threatened again straight from the start as Maguire tested the young keeper who was forced to turn the ball round the post for a corner. Two minutes later Maguire was brought down on the edge of the box and again Hartley fired into the wall. Five minutes into the half Vernon replaced Hartley to give the fans the first chance to see a strike force of Magennis and Vernon. Alloa were still going forward when they had the opportunity and they won a corner in the 54th minute that was eventually cleared by Ifil.

Another corner in the 59th minute failed to threaten and then on the hour mark Maguire hit a screamer into the net to make it 3-0. In the 65th minute Megginson replaced Magennis and a minute later Maguire almost added a fourth after a great turn and shot. Zander was forced to leave the pitch after picking up a knock and with all substitutes used the game went to ten versus ten. Alloa continued to play football and Noble went close again in the 75th minute as he drove inches wide. At the other end Vernon headed wide.

In the 78th minute Maguire released Mackie, but the keeper made a fine save and two minute later Howard made a good stop to keep the clean sheet. Vernon tried to chip the keeper in the 89th minute, but it didn't come off and deep in injury time Vernon had another chance after Mackie released him, but once again the young keeper made a fine save to keep the score at 3-0.

Alloa Athletic Teamsheet
Steven Robertson, David McClune, Scott Walker, William Gibson, Michael Dunlop, Mark Brown, John Grant, Kevin McDonald (Thomas Flynn 18), Darren Smith (Stuart Noble 65), James Lister, Bryan Prunty (David Gormley 65). Unused Subs: Andrew Scott, Jamie Hay.

Bookings:  Smith 35  Robertson 16
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Howard, McArdle, Ifil, Folly, Diamond, Considine, Maguire, Hartley (Vernon 50), Magennis (Megginson 65), Mackie, Fyvie (Young 45).

Unused Subs: Langfield, Foster.
Attendance: 1,649
Venue: Recreation Park, Alloa
Referee: S. O'Reilly