Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Celtic

Aberdeen scorers: Blackman (OG) 44.
Celtic scorers: Stokes 28

03/03/2012 | KO: 12:00

Dons end Celtic Winning Streak & Claim Point

Both teams came into this game on the back of long unbeaten runs, the Dons unbeaten since the turn of the year, surpassed only by Celtic's Winning run- a record that has seen the visitors overhaul Rangers at the top of the league. So something had to give at Pittodrie and it was the Dons whose record remained intact as they held the league leaders to a 1-1 draw.

Craig Brown made just one change to the side that drew 1-1 with St Mirren the week previous. Out went defender Youl Mawene replaced by attacker Rory Fallon.

As is often the case with early kick offs, the game started in a subdued manner but it was the Glasgow club who had the best of the opening exchanges with large spells of possession. Former Don Charlie Mulgrew rattled the inside of the post with a free kick early on but the Dons goal remained intact. On closer evidence it looked as if Jason Brown managed to get a touch making it a fantastic save.

Up the other end, good attacking play by Rory McArdle set Rory Fallon up but his header went wide of the post and the linesman flagged for offside against the New Zealander anyway. McArdle was then at the centre of the action moments later as Celtic looked to break but the Dons left back put in a superb tackle on Anthony Stokes to stop the Irishman advancing beyond the half way line.

The game remained pretty even throughout but the Dons were hit with a blow on 29 minutes. Kris Commons fed Stokes who wandered past Mark Reynolds and when Jason Brown went to ground Stokes calmly slotted the ball into the net from a tight angle. It was barely deserved for Celtic who had created very little up to that point.

The Dons tried to respond immediately and Rory Fallon again headed wide. On 32 minutes, Fallon had an effort from distance that failed to trouble Forster following a good pass from Scott Vernon. Jason Brown then had to get down to his left as Mulgrew sent in another free kick- this time a low driven effort but the Welshman did well to deny the visitors a second.

The Red Army were then on their feet on 42 minutes when referee Craig Thomson denied the Dons what looked like a blatant foul on Fraser Fyvie. But they were celebrating a few minutes later when the Dons levelled the match.

Good play from Scott Vernon fed Gavin Rae and his ball into the box was deflected into his own net by Celtic debutant Andre Blackman. It was exactly what the Dons needed and deserved after a comfortable opening half and it would certainly have been harsh had they gone in a goal down at the break.

HT 1-1

Aberdeen, buoyed by that late first half equaliser, started the second period well and created the first chance. Ryan Jack swung in a superb pinpoint cross but Rory Fallon just couldn't make up enough ground to head home past Forster.

Once again referee Thompson was at the centre of attention on 49 minutes when Stokes made a late challenge on Ryan Jack. The Celtic forward was lucky to escape without a card of some sort much to the annoyance of the Dons fans.  Thomas Rogne was booked for dissent when he blocked Rory Fallon and took exception to the referee's decision.

The home side continued to dominate possession and Arnason hit a long range effort over the bar after another good spell of play by the Dons.  From a Celtic corner the ball fell to Mitch Megginson but he was cynically blocked by Lustig on the half way line when he looked like he might break up field.

The best chance of the second period then came the way of Megginson on 62 minutes. Again he found himself in space beyond the Celtic defence but he curled his shot wide of the post. Moments later a long throw from Arnason was headed just wide by Scott Vernon as they continued to press Celtic.

On 69 minutes the Dons midfield gave the ball away but Stokes' long range effort went well wide of Browns goal.

Well documented injury problems have hampered the Dons this season and the curse struck again when Fraser Fyvie had to be replaced by Peter Pawlett on 71 minutes.

A foul on Fallon by Wanyama on 75 minutes gave the Dons another opportunity to attack but Arnason's free kick was comfortably collected by Forster. The Dons then made their second substitution with Youl Mawene replacing Rory Fallon. And Mawene was at the centre of the action just seconds after taking to the field when he was booked for a tackle on Wanyama. Mawene went on to play a key part in the rest of the game, breaking up several promising situations for the visitors.

McArdle had to look sharp to stop Gary Hooper from striking the ball into the net as Celtic tried to apply some late pressure. Mulgrew then sent in a cross which Brown had to pluck out the air. The visitors did have a late flurry of corners but Aberdeen saw the game out and claimed a point to keep their superb unbeaten run going.Attention now turns to the Scottish Cup Quarter Final with Motherwell next Sunday.

FT 1-1

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, Jack, McArdle, Reynolds, Considine, Fyvie (Pawlett 71), Rae, Arnason, Megginson, Fallon (Mawéné 79), Vernon.

Unused Subs: Langfield, Chalali, Mackie, Uchechi, Magennis.

Bookings:  Mawéné (81).
Celtic Teamsheet
Fraser Forster, Mikael Lustig (Du-Ri Cha 68), Thomas Rogne, Kelvin Wilson, Andre Blackman (Victor Wanyama 59), James Forrest, Charlie Mulgrew, Joe Ledley, Kris Commons (Dylan McGeough 66), Anthony Stokes, Gary Hooper. Unused Subs: Lukasz Zaluska, Pawel Brozek, Patrick McCourt, Glenn Loovens.

Bookings:  Thomas Rogne (51),   Mikael Lustig (60).
Attendance: 13,127
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Craig Thomson