Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Buckie Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Buckie Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire Cup Final
Buckie Thistle scorers: McKenzie
Aberdeen scorers: Watson.

13/03/1920 | KO: 15:00

Thrills At Buckie

A record crowd of close upon 3000 saw Buckie Thistle and Aberdeen divide two goals in the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup at Victoria Park, Buckie. Prior to the kick-off and at half-time there was music by the local pipe band, and both teams were given a cheer when they left the pavilion in which the cup for which they were to play reposed. Mr. Lewis Bain, Cullen, had charge of the game. Bucky won the toss, and the heavier Aberdeen lot kicked off against a somewhat stiff breeze, which blew obliquely over the field. The visitors immediately put on a spurt, J. Wyllie being prominent at centre half, but Thistle were some time in settling down. It was soon evident that Watson was a winger who would give Thistle some trouble. He flashed along the touch line, and shot in a beauty, which Murray only tipped clear at the expense of a corner. Milne effected a clearance, and the ball, passing out to McIntosh, quickly travelled to the Aberdeen goal. The wind, however, upset the calculations of the Buckie forwards, and by failing to keep the ball low, gave splendid opportunities for J. Wyllie to get in some of his fine head work. Mackenzie was keen to open the score for Buckie, and ably assisted by Stewart and Pirie, he was only thwarted by the sterling play of the backs. The game was still young when Watson picked up a pass, and beating all opposition with his lightning speed, shot in a ball almost from the touch line, which Murray failed to deal with properly, and a goal was scored. The home crowd were disappointed at this reverse, but the Thistle lads were not downhearted. The play was equally as good as that of the visiting team, although their lack of Waite was visibly felt. The hefty form of Jock Wyllie was continually in the way of the home forwards, and it was seen that he was keeping a close watch on McKenzie, who managed to test Sutherland with a fine shot.

Buckie Equalise

The date was playing well for Buckie, and he put in a grounder which Sutherland saved only in the nick of time. Milne was in good form, and it was fine to see his tackling. He cleared his lines time and again, and from one off his punts McKenzie headed in beautifully. Sutherland tried to tip the ball round the post, but it slipped into the net, amid the cheers of the crowd. The honours were again even, and both sides put on a spurt to gain the league. Clark was a stalwart in Thistle's middle line, while Carswell and Fulton proved able supports. The home forwards were very nimble, and frequently outwitted the Aberdonians, but the final judgment of the latter in placing the ball counterbalanced the more energetic movements of the lighter players. Thistle were presented with a fine chance to secure the lead when McRobbie fell in endeavouring to stem a rush by McKenzie and Macintosh. The chance went abegging, and several shots later on failed to count owing to bad elevation and inaccurate game, the wind undoubtedly having much to do with the poor shooting. What looked like a sure goal for Buckie was lost when McIntosh made a mistake at the critical juncture. The home team kept up the pressure, and gave the Aberdeen no breathing. A pass put by McKenzie was neatly headed by Cameron, but Sutherland was on the alert, and kept his charge intact. Thistle over to all round the Aberdeen goal, but failed to add to their score, over anxiety and failures to a loan for the wind being their weak points. There was little to choose between the teams in the outfield play, and half-time arrived with the score 1-1.

Aberdeen Over-eager

With the wind advantage, it was expected that Aberdeen would show up better in the second period, and opinion was rife that the home lot would suffer defeat. Contrary to expectations, however, Aberdeen failed to utilise their advantage, while Thistle played much better against the wind than their more experienced opponents. The visitors were several times hold up for offside. Apparently the forwards had anxious eyes on Buckie's goal, and wished to seize every opportunity. McKenzie led his attacking line with great skill in this period, and once J. Wyllie was so hard pressed by the home centre that he had to deliberately conceded a corner. To make amends for this, Jock soon after put in a deadly shot for goal. The aim was true, but the elevation a trifle high. Aberdeen were also weak at the goal mouth, for Morton shot high over, and Macdonald from a couple of yards out sent past the upright. Nicol and Milne gave a fine exhibition of heading, in which hopped they fell little short of the opposing team. McKenzie played exceedingly well at centre forward, and several times was within an ace of scoring in the second half, Sutherland turning off remarkably good saves. A most exciting game ended in a trawl of one goal each.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 15th March 1920

Buckie Thistle Teamsheet
Murray; Milne, Nicol; Carswell, Clark, Fulton; Cameron, Pirie, McKenzie, Stewart, McIntosh
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Victoria Park, Buckie
Referee: Mr Lewis Bain, Cullen
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow