Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 2 Keith

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Keith

Aberdeenshire Cup Semi Final
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong, Beattie, O'Reilly, Armstrong.
Keith scorers: Penrose, Cowie.

12/04/1933 | KO: 18:45


Keith's Pluck in County Cup.


Aberdeen have once more qualified for the final of the Aberdeenshire Cup - this year it is Buckie Thistle they meet on the home-and-home principle - but the Dons got something of a fright from Keith in the first half of the semi-final Pittodrie last night.

There was a poor attendance. Keith made the most of sun and wind advantage in the first period by scoring two goals, but a goal just on half-time by Armstrong made the Dons' task seem much lighter, and they ran out comfortable winners.
Credit must be given Keith for their plucky fight. Against the wind in the second half their stamina gave out, but Watson, ex-Hull City, centre-half, was a brilliant defender.

Visitors Make Running.

With the wind in their favour Keith made the running, and Cumming had to save at long range from Cowie. It took Aberdeen ten minutes to get to Muldownie's end, and when they did Johnstone sent wide of an open goal. Then came a shock for the Dons. Beattie was dispossessed by Scott, and from the half-back's pass Penrose gave Keith the lead from close in. Shortly afterwards the Dons' goal nearly fell again, Cumming knocking down a fierce shot from Dempster. Keith continued to have the better of the exchanges, and a corner-kick by Dempster and a free-kick by Oliphant floated across an open goal. At the other end a long shot by Mooney was tipped against the bar by Muldownie and then cleared. There was great glee among the Keith supporters when Cowie ran in to score a second goal after Cumming had been drawn out. In a breakaway near the interval Armstrong netted for Aberdeen from Johnston's cross, but on the run of the play Aberdeen were fortunate only to be one goal in arrears, even allowing they had been facing the wind.

Early Equaliser.

In the second half Aberdeen showed what the assistance of the wind meant, and Beattie early equalised with a terrific shot from almost 30 yards. Subsequently Armstrong and Robertson missed easy chances, and Muldownie brought off a full-length save from Beattie. Keith were kept strictly on the defensive, and following successive comers O'Reilly shot through a crowd of players to give Aberdeen the lead. Watson put in some fine defensive work for Keith, and it was largely due to him they did not fall further in arrears. Another Aberdeen goal was overdue when Armstrong tapped a fourth. Keith had occasional breaks-away, but were seldom dangerous in this period.
For Aberdeen Cooper, O'Reilly, Fraser, and Beattie and Johnston were best, and outstanding for Keith were Muldownie, Paterson, Watson, Scott, and Cowie.

Source: Press & Journal, 13th April 1933

Keith Teamsheet
Muldownie, Paterson, Gordon, Gowie, Watson, Scott, Cowie, Penrose, Laing, Oliphant, Dempster.
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow