Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Hibernian scorers: Sauzee 4 (pen), McManus 45

11/08/2001 | KO: 15:00

Dons Crash at Easter Road

The Dons never recovered from the loss of an early penalty as they crashed 2-0 to Hibs at Easter Road. The signs were looking ominous for the Dons. It had now been three games, three defeats and no goals. This was the worst performance of the three opening defeats as memories of Ebbe's first season returned to haunt the Dons fans. They needn't have worried.

Aberdeen got off to the worst possible start when they conceded a penalty in the fourth minute. O'Neil made his way into the box and went over under a challenge from Solberg. Referee Rowbotham had no hesitation in pointing the spot and Frank Sauzee made no mistake with the kick.

Hibs took confidence from this breakthrough and started to cause the Dons problems down the right hand side. This was clearly shown in the 11th minute when McManus worked his way down the right and swung in a dangerous cross. Brewster missed the ball, but O'Neil ghosted in at the back post and was inches wide with his effort. A minute later, Preece was sharply off his line to deny McManus.

In the 15th minute Whyte almost turned the ball past his own keeper. A dangerous McManus cross was met by the skipper and forced Preece into a great save. Phil McGuire then became the first booking of the match for a challenge in the middle of the park. The Dons had a chance to level matters in the 19th minute after winning a free kick on the left. Winters swung in a dangerous cross, but Solberg just failed to connect.

Aberdeen were coming more into the play without creating any clear-cut openings. Thorley's frustration showed in the 29th minute when Rowbotham booked him for speaking out of turn. The Dons had their first real shot at goal in the 32nd minute. McNaughton created space on the edge of the box, but the youngster screwed his shot wide. Preece was once more called into action in the 36th minute when O'Neil created space and hit a blistering shot goalwards. Preece did well to tip the ball over his crossbar.

Two minutes later, a Brewster effort went high over the crossbar. Aberdeen were trying to force their way back into the game and in the 41st minute Derek Young set Bett clear on the right. Thornley headed down his cross, but there were no takers. A minute later a mix up between Whyte and Solberg almost let Hibs in. The second goal did come on the stroke of half time when Brewster fed a ball through a static looking Dons defence. McManus went one on one with Preece and dispatched the ball into the net via the post.

Skovdhal made two changes at half time bringing on Zerouali and McAllister for Bett and Solberg. The difference was immediate as the Dons bombarded the Hibs goal. Jack was booked in the 46th minute for a challenge on Zerouali and a minute later, McNaughton went on a run down the right and set up Derek Young. His cross went across the face of the goal missing out everyone. A minute later, Zerouali showed great pace down the right and beat two defenders before curling the ball wide of the far post.

In the 51st minute Thornley delivered an inch perfect cross-field pass to Derek Young. Once more Young drilled a low cross into the box and once more it eluded everyone. Two minutes later, Darren Young's head stopped a Sauzee free kick although he knew little about it. Hibs went close again on the hour mark when McManus hit a shot across Preece?s goal but also beyond his far post. Sauzee was booked in the 62nd minute for a crude block on Thornley. The resultant free kick was swung in dangerously by Winters and cleared for a corner as Darren Young rose to meet it. The 65th minute saw the fifth booking of the game, as Darren Young was booked for a challenge on O'Neil. Zitelli replaced McManus in the 69th minute. Aberdeen came close to breaking their scoring duck five minutes later. Darren Young collected the ball and after beating three defenders he hit a sweet shot that was tipped round the post by Colgan. McGuire headed the resulting corner wide.

In the 76th minute Brewster had a fierce shot deflected wide of the target by Whyte and a minute later Townsley replaced Jack for Hibs. Hibs nearly made it three in the 83rd minute when Orman made space for himself inside the box. Once more he found Preece in excellent form as he blocked the effort. A minute later, Luna replaced Brewster. The game then petered out leaving the Dons with no points to show for this season efforts.

Hibernian Teamsheet
Colgan, Laursen, Sauzee, Murray, Fenwick, Brebner, O'Neil, Jack (Townsley 77), Orman, Brewster (Luna 84), McManus (Zitelli 69) Unused Subs: Craig, Smith

Bookings:  Jack 47,   Sauzee 62
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Preece, Solberg (McAllister 46), McNaughton, Thór Bett (Zerouali 46), McGuire, Whyte, Bisconti, Young, Winters, Young, Thornley.

Unused Subs: Esson, Mackie, Tiernan.

Bookings:  McGuire (16),  Thornley (29),  Young (65).
Attendance: 13,150
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: John Robotham, Kirkcaldy
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow