Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hibernian scorers: Hendren, Hendren up, Hendren
Aberdeen scorers: Milne.

23/11/1912 | KO:

A capital game, ending in a fine Hibernian victory, was the outcome of the meeting between these clubs at Easter Road, Edinburgh, before some 7000 spectators. it was conducted on fast lines from start to finish, with the home side the better finishers and the more consistently aggressive. During the earlier part of the game Aberdeen were distinctly dangerous, and Allan had an extremely lucky clearance from Lennie, who, all the same, ought to have scored. It was a costly error, as Fleming put the Hibernians ahead soon after. Five minutes from the interval Milne equalised from a cross of Soye's. On resuming Aberdeen attacked strongly, but were met by an able defence, which met every call made upon it. The Hibernian forwards then came into the game, and after Greig's charge had several narrow escapes Henderson [Hendren] scored, and, not long after, added another. In between these scores Aberdeen strove desperately for a goal, and tested Allan severely. The game was ended in semi-darkness without further change. Result:- Hibernians, 3 goals; Aberdeen 1.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th November 1912

Although Aberdeen were beaten 3-1 by Hibernian in at Easter road, Edinburgh, in a Scottish League match on Saturday, the score scarcely represented the run of the game. Aberdeen had quite as much of the play has their opponents, but they were somewhat unfortunate at goal. Taking the game all over Hibs were just value for a slight advantage, but a two-goal margin greatly exaggerated their superiority. It was one of the most strenuous games seen in Edinburgh this season, and certainly no cup-tie could have been more eagerly and keenly contested. There were numerous mistakes and misjudgments in the course of the game, but these are excusable considering the pace at which the game was contested. Both sides missed practically open goals, so that in that respect the teams were equal. At goal Aberdeen were the more unfortunate, Main, the Pittodrie inside left, having two excellent shots which glanced behind off the crossbar, while, apart from their misses and the balls that counted, Hibs were not so dangerous.

Aberdeen made the running in the opening stages, and Milne, Soye, and Main all had good tries, while Lennie, when ideally placed for scoring, sent behind, and on another occasion Travers fell when in the act of shooting when a goal most otherwise have resulted. The Hibs' right wing made good progress, and was after Rae had got a corner that Hendren opened the scoring with ahead effort. Aberdeen played up in good style after this, and good work by Main and Soye saw Milne equalise from a header after the right winger had crossed. The game was stubbornly contested up to the interval.

Play was a strenuous and the second half as it had been in the earlier. Aberdeen were first in trouble, and a misunderstanding between the backs allowed Anderson to score, but the point was disallowed for offside. Hibs continued to have the better of the exchanges, and the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape when Hannah, Colman, and Greig (out of his goal) miskicked in succession. The Hibs' left wingers got the ball, but between them, although confronted with an open goal, but failed to take advantage. It's maintained the pressure, and it was only what the deserved when Hendren scored after Rae had crossed. Aberdeen applied a determined pressure after this, and for almost 20 minutes they bombarded the home goal. Allan had repeatedly to save, and Main twice had shots which glanced off the crossbar, while Milne had a shot which just missed. At this stage Aberdeen were decidedly unfortunate, and it was the essence of bad luck for the Pittodrie team when the Hibs broke away and scored through Hendren. This proved to be all the scoring, although the pace continued to be as fast as before. The Hibs' defence held out to the finish.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th November 1912

Hibernian Teamsheet
Allan; Girdwood, Paterson; Kerr, Grosert, Lamb; Rae, Fleming, Hendren, Anderson, Smith
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen