Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1907-08 fixture list
Aberdeen 6 - 1 Fraserburgh Wednesday
Kick Off:    O'Hagan, Pursell, O'Hagan, Pursell, MacFarlane, MacFarlane.       Taylor  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Teams representing the Aberdeen Club and the Fraserburgh Wednesday met at Pittodrie yesterday, and engaged in a friendly match. Aberdeen's eleven included Purcell, who played at centre forward for the Bon-Accord League select team against Aberdeen last Wednesday. Teams:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; McIntosh, Hume; Davidson, Simpson, Low; R. Simpson, Murray, Pursell, O'Hagan, Paterson ('Varsity).
Fraserburgh Wednesday: Cheyne (Turriff); Polson, Ironside; Burnett, Vaughan, Colvin; Tait, Alexander, Taylor, Bain, MacDonald.
Referee- Mr. Bittiner.

Aberdeen kicked off against a slight wind, and were immediately aggressive. Fraserburgh had a look in, but were not very dangerous, and McIntosh transfer to play to the centre of the field. O'Hagan worked his way up to Cheyne's charge, where the ball was got through as the result of a scrimmage. Pursell was figuring well at centre, and worked very hard for goal. He got it, but was ruled offside. On two half-time the exchanges were of a very even nature, and at the interval the score stood Aberdeen, 1; Fraserburgh Wednesday, 0.

On resuming, Aberdeen attacked, and Pursell scored a most unexpected goal. The ball was brought right up the field, and Pursell and the goalkeeper both jumped to head the ball. Pursell got there first, and the sphere could not be seen until it was found lying in the corner of the net. The visitors attacked with redoubled vigour, but could not get past the halves. Low passed forward to O'Hagan, who, racing up the field, scored on the run. A corner kick taken by Simpson landed on the head of O'Hagan, who chaired the ball to Pursell' feet. Pursell sent the ball into the net, but was offside. Immediately afterwards Pursell scored a legitimate goal. At this stage the game was stopped owing to a heavy downpour of rain. On resuming, Macfarlane, who is getting tired of having nothing to do, gave the gloves to Hume, a general rearrangement of the team letting Rab in somewhere near the centre of the forward line. These changes were marked with immediate success. Macfarlane found himself in front of the goal with no one to beat but Cheyne. Without a moment's hesitation he let fly, and scored, to his own great delight, and that of his fellow players. But Rab was not done yet. He was not to be content with one goal. Getting the ball from O'Hagan he worked his way up the field, and slipped the sphere past Cheyne. So far, in his new position, Hume had had nothing to do. But a penalty was granted against Aberdeen, and he prepared to do his best. Taylor took the kick, and Hume saved, giving away a fruitless corner. Close on time Taylor, after some clever individual work, scored the only goal for his side.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 31st October 1907

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  MacFarlane, McIntosh, Hume, Davidson, Simpson, Low, Simpson, Murray, Pursell, O'Hagan, Paterson.

Unused Subs:


Fraserburgh Wednesday Teamsheet:  Cheyne (Turriff); Polson, Ironside; Burnett, Vaughan, Colvin; Tait, Alexander, Taylor, Bain, MacDonald


Referee: Mr Bittiner, Aberdeen

Related Links: