Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Scottish Second XI Cup First Round 
Aberdeen 8 - 2 St Johnstone
Kick Off:    Armstrong, Ferguson, Hiddleston (OG), Strauss, Bain 2, Bain 12, Armstrong 15, Armstrong 51.       Hird 30, Boyd 66  
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Armstrong & Strauss Star In 'Farewell' Play




(By "MAC.")

ABERDEEN gained an easy victory at Pittodrie this afternoon in the first round of the Scottish Second XI. Cup. St Johnstone were their victims.

The Dons were the better balanced side, and it was seldom that their defence was really tested. The forwards, who moved sweetly, had the visiting defence often in a tangle, and goals came at regular intervals throughout the game. Armstrong completed the hat-trick.
Both Aberdeen and St Johnstone fielded strong teams to-day at Pittodrie in the first round of the Scottish Second XI. Cup competition. Aberdeen were forced to make change in defence. Cowie, suffering from a cold, was unable to turn out and Graham was at right back.
Weather was fine, and there was a crowd of about 5000 at the start.



The Dons started brightly, and within two minutes were a goal to the good. Smith broke away on the right, beat the back, and crossed smartly. BAIN brought the ball under control and shot. Wylie seemed to have the ball covered, but it was deflected into the net by a defender. With a stiffish breeze behind them the Dons continued to force the pace, and Ferguson ran through to deliver a fierce drive which Wylie pushed over for a corner.
Next minute a rocket drive by Strauss whizzed past the far post.
Saints made ground on the right, and a corner on the left ended in Simpson failing to connect from Cook's flag-kick. With twelve minutes played, bad covering by the Perth defence saw the Dons increase their lead.
Armstrong sent Strauss away on the left, and when the winger squared the ball BAIN beat the 'keeper to it and glanced it into the net.


Three minutes later a clever Aberdeen forward movement produced a third goal.
With a long ground pass Taylor sent the ball through to Ferguson. Quick as a flash the inside-left parted to ARMSTRONG. The centre beat Wylie - although the 'keeper dived full length - with a splendid left-foot drive.
The Dons' forwards were a lively bunch - Quick off their mark and with a fine understanding of positional play.
The visitors were in luck's way when Smith broke clear on the right. He sent the ball into the middle along the ground - a perfect pass.


Armstrong stepped aside and left the ball to Ferguson. The inside left was taken by surprise and missed his kick.
Up came Strauss at top speed and sent the ball crashing against the post with Wylie well beaten.
Graham came storming up the field to have a "go." and his drive, an express delivery flashed narrowly over the bar.
St Johnstone found it difficult to make ground against the wind, but even when the forwards did get going they could not finish. McIntosh was clean through on one occasion but Taylor nipped in to belt the ball off his toes for a corner.
Half an hour, after the start, however, the visitors opened their account.
HIRD met a fast pass from Sneddon first time and the ball struck the underside of the crossbar with terrific force before it struck the ground. The referee whistled for a goal. Johnstone, the Dons' 'keeper, protested vigorously that the ball had not crossed the line but the referee waved him away.
This goal was "just what the doctor had ordered" for the Saints and they became a much more spirited company. The Dons' defence had to look lively to keep them out. Johnstone saved one good shot - a fierce drive from Sneddon.



Aberdeen were first to go into action, and Wylie held a tricky swerving shot from Armstrong, while Strauss raced through from a Ferguson slip to send the ball thundering past.
Six minutes after the restart a glorious Armstrong - Strauss movement was crowned with success. The pair took the ball up the field, and ARMSTRONG came running through to meet an excellent Strauss pass and send the ball into the net.
Smith almost got another. He raced after a pass from Armstrong, rounded Mackie like a flash, and sent the ball crashing against the advancing Wylie. With the wind Saints kept pegging away but they could not find a way through an alert Aberdeen defence.
St Johnstone got a second goal in twenty-one minutes. Hird forced a corner off Cooper. There was mix-up following the flag kick, and BOYD drove into the net.
Smith was a fast raider on the Dons' right, and following this goal he ran off, tricked Mackie and sent narrowly over.


Came another glorious goal for the home lot. Bain started the attack, gave to Smith, and ARMSTRONG picked up a slip from the winger, whisked past two defenders and completed his hat-trick.
One minute later Bain crossed from the corner flag. Armstrong failed to connect, but FERGUSON scraped the ball through to make the home total six.
Goals were coming thick and fast, and when Smith crossed well, Hiddleston, in attempting to clear, sent past his own 'keeper.
STRAUSS got another goal for Aberdeen before the close.

Source: Evening Express, 7th October 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Graham, Cooper, Dunlop, Waddell, Taylor, Smith, Bain, Armstrong, Ferguson, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


St Johnstone Teamsheet:  Wylie; Hiddleston, Mackie; Mason, Smellie, Boyd; Hird, Sneddon, McIntosh, Simpson, Cook


Referee: D. Ross, Dundee

Related Links: