Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1930-31 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Ayr United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McMillan, McLean, McLean.       McCall 3  
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
PLAYERS HURT. Yorston's Mishap at Pittodrie. MACMILLAN PLEASES.
Aberdeen got stiffer opposition than was expected from Ayr United at Pittodrie, and although in the end they won well by 3-1, they undoubtedly got fright in the first half.
Although the game was cleanly contested several players came by injury. The most serious was that which befel Yorston, the Dons' crack centre-forward. After jumping to head ball just after the interval, he came down heavily, and hurt his ribs. Following the injury he pluckily carried on at outside right, and that even under his handicap he was not a passenger was reflected in the fact that Aberdeen's third goal came from a centre by him.
Ayr too were handicapped in the closing stages, when Fleming, their left back, twisted a leg, and had to be carried off five minutes from the close.
Goalkeeper Smith, Black. Hill, and McDermid were also attended to for injuries during the game, but were able to play it out.

Ayr's Surprise.

Ayr took the lead three minutes from the start when McCall lobbed in a long ball which was obviously meant to drop in front of goal, but the wind carried it, and Smith in saving turned it against the under side of the crossbar. He pushed it out from the rebound, but the ball by that time had been over the line.
The United kept up the long passing game, much to the discomfiture of the home defence, and, had the visitors' shooting been more accurate, Aberdeen must have fallen further in arrears. As it was the "honest men's" attackers threw away chances by wild efforts to locate the net.

MacMillan's Equaliser.

Aberdeen improved, and, after the Ayr goal had run several harrow escapes, MacMillan equalised with a splendid left-foot drive from just outside the penalty line.
Towards the interval both goals were raided, and Yorston was unfortunate not to give Aberdeen the lead when, after Hepburn had been drawn out and the centre-forward had beaten him, the ball rolled behind, inches wide of the goal.
Aberdeen quickly went ahead after the interval. Yorston was returning to the field, after receiving trainers' attention, when, after clever work with MacMillan, McLean dribbled inwards to score a beautiful goal.
After this reverse Ayr rallied for a time and Smith had to deal with shots by Tolland, Ferguson and Brae, but gradually Aberdeen took the upper hand. Yorston and Love changed places and the United defence was kept on the stretch, many shots being blocked or charged down.
Love looked to be going through on one occasion when he was brought down on the penalty line. Hill's free kick producing a corner.
The last goal came three minutes from the end. Yorston was left unattended, and he lobbed over a beautifully placed ball for McLean to easily find the net with a header.

Not Cup Tie Form.

It was rather an uninteresting game. Aberdeen's form was far below that shown in the Firhill Cup-tie, but obviously several of the players we suffering from the effects of that gruelling game.
Smith was safe in goal, and while Jackson was the better back throughout, Cooper found his form after the interval. Hill was outstanding at half-back, where Black and McLaren were not quite at their best.
In the forward line McDermid and MacMillan were most in evidence. The latter created a very favourable impression on his first appearance at home for his club. Love and McLean were two capable wingers.
Ayr United were splendidly served by Hepburn in goal, Willis and Fleming at back, and McLeod and McCall in the intermediate division. Forward, the best were Tolland, Brae, and Ferguson.
There were 12,000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 9th February 1931

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, Jackson, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, McDermid, Yorston, McMillan, McLean.

Unused Subs:


Ayr United Teamsheet:  Hepburn; Willis, Fleming; Turnbull, McLeod, McCall; Suggett, Tolland, McGillivray, Ferguson


Referee: A. Leishman, Falkirk

Related Links: