Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1953-54 fixture list
Scottish Cup Second Round 
Duns 0 - 8 Aberdeen
Kick Off:          Buckley 45, Buckley 75, Buckley 10, Leggat 22, Hamilton 49, Leggat 63, Hamilton 85, Buckley 17.  
Attendance: 700
Venue: Hawthorn Park, Duns
The Aberdeen team arrived at Duns for the second-round tie of the Scottish Cup in pouring rain. All afternoon many workers had been at Hawthorn Park to deal with the water, but as the time of the kick-off approached, conditions became worse.
Duns kicked off, and at once both sides had the greatest of difficulty with water splashing in all directions. Martin was first to handle and after Smith came into action Duff sent past at the Aberdeen end. The spectators laughed at the capers of both sides, but it was no laugh for the players. Bootland was to the fore with a cross which was headed over. The First Leaguers were as much at sea as Duns with a ball that just would not travel. A pass-back by Holt failed to travel, and Buckley netted after ten minutes.
Gradually Aberdeen got the better of matters, and from a corner by Leggat Buckley headed number two for Aberdeen. Sharp carried the ball up strongly for Duns, but his parting shot was well saved by Martin. All the players were now more like mudlarks than footballers. A determined effort by Walker ended with another Martin save. Aberdeen went further ahead when Leggat beat smith at the second attempt. Duns hung on well enough, but the training and experience of Aberdeen always told. Buckley completed his "hat-trick" when he rounded Holt and shot into the net.

The overhead conditions had improved at the beginning of the second half. Aberdeen resumed on the offensive and forced a corner which was well placed by Wishart for Hamilton to add a fifth goal. Wishart was allowed to go through amidst strong claims of offside but his shot hit the upright. Smith went twice full length to save. Then at the other end Reid missed narrowly. Walters had a shot blocked in the strong Duns pressure. Aberdeen went on the offensive again and Leggat scored the best goal of the match from a cross from the right.

Source: Evening Times, 13th February 1954

At the close of the Duns-Aberdeen tie at Hawthorn Park Aberdeen officials informed the secretary of the local club that they would allow them to retain the entire "gate." As a result of the bad weather the crowd was well under the 1000 mark, so that Aberdeen would have received only the bare guarantee, 15 railway fares and 20 (because the clubs are more than 100 miles apart) - about 60.
The Aberdeen party left Aberdeen on Friday, stayed the night in Edinburgh, and travelled in a special bus from Edinburgh to Duns and back. Their expenses must have been in the region of 150.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 15th February 1954

Duns Teamsheet:  Smith: Bremner, Muir; Sharp, Holt, Paton; Burns, Reid, Duff, Walters, Bootland


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Mitchell, Caldwell, Allister, Young, Glen, Leggat, Hamilton, Buckley, O'Neil, Wishart.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. P. A. Bissett, Edinburgh

Related Links: