Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1889-90 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup Final Replay 
The Aberdeen 3 - 3 Orion
    8-3 After extra time
Kick Off:    Ketchen, From Scrimmage, Campbell, Campbell, Key, Key, ?, ?       Jopp, ?, ?  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
A spectator among the large crowd which gathered at the Victoria Bridge Grounds to witness the undecided final tie in the Aberdeenshire Cup competitions was overheard to remark at a critical point in the game: "The Orion have the Cup all but the lid;" and alackaday this important part of the trophy they failed to secure. Five minutes from time they stood to win, their success seemed assured; but about a couple of minutes from the blowing of the whistle the Aberdeen, metaphorically speaking, snatched it out of their grasp and, as the subsequent result proved, whipped them severely. From start to finish the match was most interesting. Cool, collected, but possessed of quiet determination, the Aberdeen did their best to win. The Orion also put their best foot forward, the difference between them and their opponents, however, being that while the Chanonry men kept pegging away persistently but quietly, the Orion threw into their work dash and energy, not always characterised by judgment, and displayed a fastness which in the long run was bound to exhaust the players. In the extra half hour which was taken to decide the victor this was shown in a conspicuous way, the Stripes being utterly fagged and unable to resist the siege of their heavier and hardier opponents.

Aberdeen kicked off, and the Orion at once took matters in hand, and dribbling down to the goal mouth, D. Wood had some difficulty in clearing his lines, the leather then going up field. Here Brown got hold of it, and passing to Wallace, his outside partner, that player centred beautifully, but Key, who was running at full speed, missed the kick, and the chance was accordingly lost, Key, however, did better the next time, a well-directed header only missing fire by a few inches. From the goal kick Aberdeen again kept up the pressure, and were lucky in getting a foul. Thompson, unfortunately kicked behind. Midfield play followed for a short period and then the Orion forwards got away with a dash. When about thirty yards from the Chanonry citadel Frank Whitehead passed to the left; the kick was taken by Jopp, but the Aberdeen backs came to the relief of the goalkeeper, and after an exceedingly lively scrimmage the ball was got rid of and sent to a place of safety. The Orion were able to resist two or three attacks, but the Aberdeen, who were acting well together, were not to be denied, and Ketchen, with a long, swift shot, lowered the colours of the Stripes. Diack did his best to save. He just managed to touch the ball at the posts with the tips of his fingers, but, in falling, the sphere went on the wrong side. On kicking off again, the Orion forwards dribbled sown and kept peppering away at the Aberdeen goal for some considerable time. The lookout was anything but favourable to the Whites, and had it not been for the really clever manoeuvring of D. Wood their citadel mast have fallen at least once or twice. Jopp about this period narrowly missed registering a point for his side. The venue was again shifted. On this occasion the Aberdeen left wing are entitled to the credit of a smart and very fast dribbling run, ending in Wallace centring to Key, who took the opportunity, and called upon Diack to save. A scrimmage occurred, but the Aberdeen players were too rash, and instead of getting a point a foul was given against Wallace for deliberately striking the ball. Even play for a spell, followed by several well carried out runs by the Orion, whose wild kicking at the goal mouth alone prevented them from scoring, both Fyfe and Gloag proved costly to their side in this respect. However, the Orion got their chance ultimately, for from a throw-in the leather was centred, and Kelly, getting on to it, passed to Jopp, who notched a beauty amid cheers. Half-time was close at hand, and when the whistle blew no improvement had been made, the game standing one all.
On restarting Aberdeen right wing ran up, but were checked by Foote, who covered a mistake by Jarvis. The Orion retaliated, and for the next ten minutes confined play to the other end of the field. They wound up a persistent attack by scoring. They continued to have the better of the game, but Aberdeen got away and equalised after about half an hour of the second period had gone. Thereafter, by a series of throws-in - the ball being no sooner in play than it was sent out again - the Aberdeen worked their way up, and Ewan had, to avert danger, to concede a corner, out of which nothing came. Aberdeen never went far from their opponents' ground for at least fifteen minutes, and several times had hard lines. Thereafter the Orion, after failing twice, brought heavy pressure to bear, D. Wood being kept busy; and in the midst of a melee the ball was rushed through. This point, placing as it did the Orion one up, gave rise to great excitement, and the result, from the fact that it only wanted about five minutes from time, was looked upon as a victory for the Stripes. But the Aberdeen, greatly to their credit, never lost heart, and their pluck was well rewarded. The ball on being set in motion from the centre of the field, was rushed well up, and the Orion (who ought to have seen better to their defence) had to give a third goal - Campbell kicking the point. The whistle blew almost immediately afterwards, and as both clubs had three goals to their credit, the extra half-hour previously agreed to was entered upon. And then it was that a change came over the aspect of affairs.
The Aberdeen completely got the upper hand, and before five minutes had gone Campbell scored. Another. Another point was disallowed on the ground of off-side. Subsequently Key kicked number five, and before the first fifteen minutes had expired a sixth was got - Wallace centring beautifully. The teams having passed over for the last fifteen minutes, Aberdeen kept up the pressure, and lowered the Orion's colours twice. By this time all the interest was gone from the match, and a number of the spectators had left the field. Aberdeen thus won one of the most eventful games that has ever taken place in Aberdeen by 8 goals to 3.
Both teams played well. Wallace, the latest Chanonry recruit, displayed rare form. Ewan was among the best on the Orion side.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 24th February 1890



And so the Aberdeen, by a lucky turn of the wheel of fortune, have been able to march off with the Cup. Well, they have to thank the mistaken policy of the Orion for the fact. In the last few minutes of the match the Stripes simply played into the hands of their opponents for instead of directing their attention to defensive tactics, to keeping their lines clear at all hazards, they attempted to press, with the result that the Aberdeen, finding an opening, gave the ball some half dozen kicks and, heigh presto! the thing was done. "The Cup a' but the lid." fitly described the situation, and one cannot help feeling for the Orion in their mortification at their defeat. The tie was most exciting, the equality in point of play keeping up the interest without interruption from start to finish. The Orion were in grand form. They played with great dash, and if they had taken better advantage of the chances at the goal month, their scoring must have been heavy. If anything their play was too fast - that is to last - and it was just because they were fairly pumped out that they failed to make a stand in the extra half hour against their hardier opponent. The dry rot that set in in that period of the game was quite phenomenal. Three goals in ninety minutes; five goals in thirty. Quite a procession to the goal mouth by Aberdeen.


The Whites, if they did not display so much energy as the Stripes, showed more judgment in their manoeuvres. They fought to win, biding their time like heroes. They proved, too, that their power of endurance was greater than that of the Orion, thus giving a flat contradiction to what during the season has often been asserted - namely, that their training was inferior to the Orion's. Of the individual players on the Aberdeen side the crowd appeared to be best pleased with Wallace. A fine tackler and dribbler, the latest recruit only made one serious mistake during the whole match, and, as it fortunately turned out, it proved of little consequence. He could not possibly get in front of the ball, and in the impulse of the moment he struck it with his fist. Brown did not seem to be at all familiar with Wallace's mode of play - often, in fact, acting as an impediment than as a help - but that is a matter which will improve with time. Key played capitally, and Wood at goal again showed his superiority over all other local custodians. Ketchen, it must be generally admitted, has at last got his proper place - well, no; we hope yet to see him centre half.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 27th February 1890


The date has not yet been decided upon, but it will be some time next week, in order that the Aberdeen may be in a position to hand it over to the custody of their honorary president at their function on Saturday, the 22nd. A proposal was made in the first instance that the Cup should be presented informally, but this was negative effectually, and the affair will be gone about in the usual way.

Source: Aberdeen Journal. 13th March 1890

Everything in Association Football had, on Saturday, to give place to the match of the season, which was the replaying of the undecided tie between the Aberdeen & Orion teams for the 'Shire Cup. There was a large gate, there being over 50 taken, I believe, and the following description has been kindly furnished by an eye-witness. Both sides played at the beginning with fine judgment, but for a short period the Orion had the best of the game. They failed to pierce the stubborn defence of their opponents, however, and then the Aberdeen's turn came. Breaking away with fine combination, they were quickly at the Orion's end, and Jarvis saved well at goal mouth. Ketchen had from the start been sending in some very dangerous long shots, and at length he beat Diack with a beauty. Loud cheers greeted this performance, and they seemed to stimulate the Orion to renewed efforts, for shortly the Central Park men were swarming round the Aberdeen citadel, and Wood had to do his utmost to repel the attack. This he cleverly did, and was loudly cheered. General play followed, and then the Orion missed a good chance that fell to the left wing. For a time the Orion again took the lead, but Whitehead shot wildly when a chance was given. From a "middle" by Kelly, Ewen had two good shots at the Aberdeen goal, but without effect. Jopp, by inaccurate shooting, again spoiled what might have been a chance. Ultimately, from a scrimmage, the stripes equalled by a splendid "shoot". The whistle sounded with the score standing one goal each. Within a few minutes after resuming from a good combined attack they scored a second goal. Equal play followed, and then the Aberdeen closed in on their opponents, and, out of a hard scrimmage, equalised. Then, in the course of a short attack, the Orion forwards rushed the ball through, and again took the lead. After this had the Orion been content to play on the defensive after having secured their third point, the likelihood is, they would have won the game.

The Whites again equalised, and almost thereafter the whistle sounded at a drawn game! An emergency of the kind had, however, been provided for, and the teams having changed ends the game was continued for another half-hour, but the Orion men had evidently done all they could, and they now completely broke down. The Aberdeen, on the other hand, still played with considerable dash; they fairly "ran through" their opponents; and in about ten minutes had scored four goals - mostly by Key. Till the finish the Aberdeen had it mostly their own way, and at the end of the extra half-hour they had won a remarkable game by 8 goals to 3. As to the play of the teams it may be said it was on the whole very equal during the hour and a half, and the game was one of the finest ever played between local clubs. Excellent temper was shown on both sides. By their victory on Saturday the Aberdeen become the first winners of the trophy recently provided by the Association, and each member of the team gets a beautiful gold badge. The Orion players will receive silver badges. The decisions of the referee and umpires gave entire satisfaction.

Source: Northern Figaro, 1st March 1890

The Aberdeen Teamsheet: 


Orion Teamsheet: 


Referee: Mr. Carnegie

Related Links: