Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1923-24 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Queens Park 1 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Fyfe        
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
If the Aberdeen forwards had displayed the same initiative and confidence in finishing, especially in the concluding stages of the game with Queen's Park at Hampden Park, as marked their outfield play, they would have undoubtedly secured at least one point. During that aggressive period they received numerous opportunities, but they struck the cross-bar twice in quick succession, they failed to beat Gibbs. The Amateurs' goal resulted through a beautifully manoeuvred movement between Chalmers and Dr Fyfe, who carried the ball past the opposing defence with comparative ease , and left with a glorious chance, Fyfe took full advantage of it, giving Blackwell no chance with a fast, rising shot. Gillespie was always prominent in the Queen's Park's defence. On several occasions he foiled the Aberdeen forwards when it seemed as if they must score. Sneddon and Wiseman, if not so sure in their clearing as usual, worked hard, and they had a lot to do with their side's victory. Aberdeen's makeshift team - they showed seven changes - gave a surprisingly good display. Jackson was outstanding in their rear, while Paton and Thomson were the pick of the forwards. The attendance would be about 12,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th April 1924

Play favoured Aberdeen at the start, but Queen's Park opposed a steady defence. The home side got away, and Fyfe beat Blackwell. Aberdeen pressed hard to secure the equaliser. They forced a corner, but failed to convert. Aberdeen again forced the pace in the second half, but Queen's Park were determined to hold their advantage, which held out to the finish. Estimates attendance: 15,000

Source: Glasgow Herald, 7th April 1924

An Aberdeen team depleted in strength proved very unlucky at Hampden Park, Glasgow, where Queen's Park, after being outplayed for the greater period of the game, emerged victorious by the only goal of the match. In view of the importance of the result to the Amateurs in their fight to avoid relegation, the game attracted fully twelve thousand spectators. Queen's Park were at full strength, but consequent upon a heavy injured list, Aberdeen had to field deputies for Forsyth, Davidson, Miller, Rankin, and Smith, the leadership of the attack being entrusted to McBoyle, the reserve team 's versatile defender.
Although they had the advantage of playing in front of a strong sun and fairly stiff breeze in the first half, Queen's Park were lucky to lead by a well-taken goal at the interval. They were luckier still to retain their lead in the second half, when, but for spasmodic dashes by their left wing, the Amateurs were nearly always defending. Their goalkeeper at times was virtually bombarded with shots, and twice at least the crossbar came to his rescue. Although victorious, the Amateurs were a much less convincing side than Aberdeen, whose reserves played exceedingly well. On the Queen's side, Gibbs, Gillespie, and Chalmers alone played up to expectations. Apart from the first two named, the other defenders in the side were extremely erratic, and, aided by a considerable amount of good luck, simply scrambled through their clearances.
Aberdeen's under-strength team, on the other hand gave a satisfactory display. Jackson, at left back, was the outstanding back on the field, and all three half-backs, especially Dick, played a sterling game. Paton was the best forward, but Grant and Thomson, on the extreme wings, were always dangerous, and McBoyle was a hustling centre-forward. Forbes, too, played well, but the line, although dogged by bad lack, were better finishers in the second half than in the first.


The amateurs were the first to make headway, and two consecutive raids by their right wing came to naught. Aberdeen responded, and centres by Grant and Tomson had the home backs In trouble. A fast pace was maintained, and with the ball travelling from end to end quickly, there was no lack of excitement. Blackwell was first in action, having to clear a free kick taken from long range by Sneddon. Following this, the Aberdeen keeper dealt smartly with a hard drive from Chalmers. The Aberdeen attack brightened and following a run and cross by Grant, Thomson shot accurately. Gibbs fisted the ball down in front of McBoyle, but the centre-forward lofted it over the bar and a great chance was lost. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and a free kick by Paton taken from just outside the penalty area was saved by Gibbs. After being kept on the defensive for a period, Queen's Park rallied, and Gillespie brought Blackwell into action with a raking shot. Later, Dr Fyfe shot narrowly past. With thirty-five minutes gone Queen's Park took the lead, which was against the run of the play. Dr Fyfe and Chalmers carried through a clever combined movement, which resulted in Dr Fyfe beating Blackwell from close in. Aberdeen came within an ace of equalising. Thomson got away, and sent in an awkward high shot. Gibbs fisted the ball, but it squirmed into the air. and he swung round to fist clear a second time just as McBoyle rushed in. Forbes met the clearance, but sent wide. Towards the interval Aberdeen continued to press, and Gibbs had to field a ball headed in by Paton following a lobbed pass forward by Armstrong. Half-time arrived with Queen's Park lucky to be ahead.


In the second half the Amateurs were handicapped by an injury to Moreland, who was late in resuming, and, sustaining another accident, had to retire five before the end of the game. In this period the play wholly favoured Aberdeen. They penned the Amateurs in their own territory. Dick showed the was with a long shot that went wide, and Gibbs had to field a drive Thomson from near the touchline. Forcing play by McAlpine resulted in Chalmers shooting over for Queen's but Aberdeen again took up the thread of attack, and Gibbs at the foot of the upright was just able to deflect a great shot by Grant. Following the flag-kick, Paton shot wide, and Jackson missed the mark with a drive from long range. An excursion by the Amateurs' left resulted in Blackwell saving from McAlpine, but Gibbs was quickly in action again, and had to field a high ball sent in by Grant. Jackson, Dirk, and Forbes (twice) all had shots parried in quick succession by Gibbs, and for a time Aberdeen could do everything but score. A run and centre by McAlpine broke the monotony of the Aberdeen pressure, and Blackwell fisted when it seemed Moreland would score. The scene was again changed, and after Gibbs had fisted away from a crowd of players, Grant, taking a free kick from about thirty yards out, sent the ball with terrific force against the crossbar. At all points the Amateurs were outplayed, yet their defence contrived to scramble through. Gibbs fisted away from MacLachlan, and, following another flag kick for Aberdeen, Paton headed against the crossbar with Gibbs out of position for saving. Aberdeen pressed until the end, but could not get level.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th April 1924

Queens Park Teamsheet:  T Gibbs; T Sneddon, W Wiseman; J McDonald, R Gillespie, H M Dickson; J. Crawford, R Moreland, Dr A Fyfe, W. Chalmers, J R McAlpine


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Blackwell, Bruce, Jackson, Armstrong, Dick, MacLachlan, Grant, Paton, McBoyle, Forbes, Thomson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: H. Russell, Glasgow

Related Links: