Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1948-49 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Rangers 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Duncanson 62       Hather 17.  
Attendance: 35,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Dons Can Still Rise to Big Occasion
No Fluke at Ibrox

ABERDEEN gained a welcome if unexpected point at Ibrox. It is too early yet to say whether it will be the means of saving them from relegation, but the 1-1 draw with Rangers did show that the Dons still have the ability to rise to the big occasion.

There was no fluke about the result. Rangers had a preponderance of second half pressure, but, taking the match as a whole, it was difficult to believe that there is such a gulf between the teams on the league table.
Aberdeen's forwards faded out once Rangers had equalised, but they played better in the first half than they have done for weeks. It was most refreshing to see the inside men have a shot at goal, and there might have been a different story to tell had not Emery shot too hurriedly after a miskick by Woodburn had left the road to goal wide open.
On the other hand, Rangers had so much pressure in the second half that they didn't deserve to lose. It was during this period that the Dons' defence was up against it, and they responded gallantly.

Roy's Record

Every man did his part, but Curran gets special mention. He had luck on his side at times, but this was offset by a succession of brilliant saves. The goalkeeper inspired confidence with his clean punching when the agile Thornton was on the spot for Waddell's dangerous crosses.
Almost equally effective was Roy at centre half. He can proudly claim to have prevented Scotland's four outstanding leaders from scoring in successive weeks, and it was a tragedy that he should mar an otherwise good display by a slip which gave Rangers their goal.
The defence as a whole looked as compact as the Ibrox one. Both Ancell and McKenna stuck grimly to the task of holding the dangerous wingers, and were on par with Young and Shaw, although Scotland's captain often turned defence into attack with hla tremendous kicking.
Aberdeen's defensive set-up was completed by Stenhouse and Waddell, whose destructive qualities almost completely snuffed out Duncanson and Paton. In attack they were not effective as McColl and Cox, the Rangers' pair, who often started attacks with well judged passes.

Inside Pair Best

Emery is far from being an ideal centre, but his harassing tactics often caused uncertainty in the home rearguard and gave Williams and Harris the opportunity to do damage. The inside pair were the best of the line.
Rangers had a definite advantage on the wings. Both Rutherford and Waddell showed a willingness to go ahead with the ball. Pearson was rather easily subdued by Jock Shaw, while Hather was limping throughout the second half.
It was the left winger who got the Dons' first goal in four matches. Seventeen minutes after the start Williams neatly tricked Shaw and smacked the ball against the bar. It rebounded to Hather, and the Englishman shot hard into the far corner of the net.
A header from Thornton, which hit a post, and Emery's shot on the run were other efforts of note before half-time. In the second half Rangers piled on the pressure and brought the best out of Curran.
Seventeen minutes after the restart came the fatal slip. Roy had plenty of time to get rid of a loose ball. Attempting to pass back to Curran, he only half hit the ball and Duncanson came racing in to shoot past the helpless goalkeeper.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th April 1949

Rangers Teamsheet:  Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox, Waddell, Paton, Thornton, Duncanson


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Curran, Ancell, McKenna, Stenhouse, Roy, Waddell, Pearson, Williams, Emery, Harris, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Referee: G. Mitchell

Related Links: