Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1975-76 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Jarvie 83.        
Attendance: 19,565
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
The Dons' remarkable Premier Division record against Rangers at Pittodrie Stadium is a source of great pride to all Aberdeen supporters and conversely a sore point with the followers of the Ibrox side. However prior to the inception of the Premier Division Rangers enjoyed a long unbeaten run at the Granite City ground.

When the 'Gers travelled north for the first ever Premier Division visit to Pittodrie on December 6th 1975, one had to look back to March 1965 to find the Dons' last win over the Ibrox side in a league clash at Aberdeen. The build up to the game strongly suggested that Rangers would continue their domination of the Dons at Pittodrie. Manager Ally McLeod had only recently taken over the reins and this game was only his fourth in charge overall, and only his second in front of the home fans.
Aberdeen's league position was a precarious third bottom of the league - one point ahead of second bottom Dundee United - and the Dons were coming off a disappointing 1-0 defeat at Ayr United the previous Saturday. Rangers occupied second place but were only six points ahead of Aberdeen.
McLeod's arrival had sparked fan interest that was reflected in the healthy 20,000 crowd. The expectation level was also high and that transmitted to the park where the players indulged in a frantic opening period that kept referee Paterson on his toes. With 20 minutes gone Colin Jackson had the ball in the net for Rangers but the referee had already indicated a foul by Martin Henderson on Dons 'keeper Andv Geoghegan.
Newly appointed Dons skipper Willie Miller was clearly relishing his new role and was a constant source of inspiration at the heart of the defence when Rangers applied the pressure. Jocky Scott provided the Dons best moment in the first half when he carved his way past two "Light Blue" defenders only to be denied by a superb Stewart Kennedy save.

The second half continued in the same franetic fashion as the first, with constant interruptions for free kicks but eleven minutes into the second period Andy Geoghegan brought off a stunning save from a well hit Tommy McLean drive as the chances started to come at both ends. Both sides had their chances to win the game but as full time drew near it looked as if the honours may be shared. However, Rangers did have a nasty habit of securing late winners at Pittodrie so nobody was taking anything for granted.
Then with only seven minutes to go Billy Williamson played a clever lob in to John McMaster in the box. Young John shrugged off his markers and laid the ball off for Drew Jarvie to drive into the net - 1-0! Moments later McMaster was in the thick of the action again as he appeared to be brought down from behind in the Rangers penalty box but the referee was having none of it, much to the disbelief of an animated Ally McLeod. The final minutes ticked away as Rangers forced a series of corners and then John McMaster blasted over with the goal at his mercy as the Dons broke upfield. Skipper Willie Miller urged one last effort from his players and the Dons held on to record a Premier Division win over the Govan side.

Source: Match Programme, 12th February 1995

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Geoghegan, Williamson, McLelland, Smith, Thomson, Miller, Scott, Robb, Jarvie, McMaster, Graham.

Unused Subs: Street, Crawford.


Rangers Teamsheet:  Kennedy, Jardine, Greig, Forsyth, Jackson, MacDonald, McKean, Hamilton, Henderson, McLean, Johnstone


Referee: A. J. Paterson, Bothwell

Related Links: