Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1984-85 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Mirren
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McDougall (Pen), Porteous, Stark, McDougall.        
Attendance: 14,100
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Neil Simpson sent Frank McDougall through in six minutes and ex-Rangers keeper Stewart smothered the ball at the edge of the box. Teenager Ian Porteous was beginning to cause trouble with accurate crosses from the right. In thirteen minutes he had a hand, or rather a foot, in Aberdeen's opening goal. A long Jim Leighton clearance was back-headed by Eric Black to Porteous. He touched the ball to McDougall, who beat Stewart with a low shot to net his fifth goal in four league matches. The Paisley side were not standing by in admiration. Twice in five minutes Mackie tested Leighton. Aberdeen, however, were keen to build on their early advantage and Porteous, McDougall and Ian Angus all fired in shots in quick succession. Rooney was yellow-carded for a nasty foul on Simpson. Billy Stark then nose-dived to head home an Angus cross only to have the goal disallowed for offside. The second goal was only delayed for, in 39 minutes, Porteous scored when he pounced on the rebound after Stewart had parried Black's shot. Four minutes before half time Rooney was sent off after another fierce tackle, this time on Angus.

Aberdeen obviously were going to try to make their extra man count although the Saints showed that they would not be easily steamrollered into submission. Alex McLeish had to break up a couple of brisk attacks before the Dons again began to sweep down towards Jim Stewart. He performed heroically to keep out efforts by McDougall and Stark, both former Saints. Leighton was forced to fingertip a rising McAvennie shot over his bar before Black shot narrowly past Stewart's left-hand post. In 69 minutes McDowell used his arm to block a Porteous shot and McDougall blasted the penalty kick into the net. In 72 minutes Cameron substituted for Abercrombie and the Dons almost added to their tally three minutes later when McLeish beat the keeper only for full-back Wilson to clear on the line. Then Willie Falconer replaced Porteous. With four minutes to go Stark managed to get his name on the scoresheet when he sidefooted a Falconer cross past Stewart. Two minutes later McDowell was booked for a foul on Willie Miller. Aberdeen ran out comfortable winners.

Source: Match Programme, 4th January 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, McKimmie, McQueen, Stark, McLeish, Miller, Porteous (Falconer), Simpson, McDougall, Black, Angus.

Unused Subs:


St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Stewart, Wilson, Winnie, Rooney!, Cooper, Clarke, Fitzpatrick, McAvennie, McDowell, Abercrombie (Cameron), Mackie


Referee: D. T. McVicar, Carluke

Related Links: