Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1904-05 fixture list
Aberdeen 5 - 1 Dundee
Kick Off:    McNicol, McNicol, McNicol, Ritchie (Pen), Ritchie.       Bell  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
This fixture was played at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, last night, before a large number of spectators. At the finish the game stood - Aberdeen, five goals; Dundee, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th August 1904

A friendly match was played last night at Pittodrie between teams representing Aberdeen and Dundee. There was a good turnout of spectators. Teams:- Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Mackie, Willox; Halkett, Strang, Robertson; Knowles, Mackay, McNicol, Cruickshank, Ritchie. Dundee: Muir; Robertson (Inverness), Jeffrey; Potter, McAteer, McDiarmid; Bell, Macfarlane, Wilson, Cowie, Thomson. Referee - Mr. A. Watt, Aberdeen.

Dundee, losing the toss, kicked off against the wind, but their progress towards Macfarlane was soon checked, and they were sent to the right about. Aberdeen took up the attack, and by the left got well down the field, where Knowles sent in a fine cross, which McNicol got possession of, and, getting through the opposing defence, opened the scoring with a lovely effort within ten minutes of the start. The locals continued to have the better of the exchanges, and caused Jeffrey and Robertson considerable trouble, Muir also being often called upon. A fine piece of play by the home right resulted in Ritchie sending in a well-judged cross, and Knowles and McNicol accepting it, rushed through No.2. Dundee now had a look in, and were awarded a foul kick just on the penalty line, but the custodian saved at the expense of a corner. Continuing on the aggressive, the Dundonians forced a corner, but nothing resulted. Ritchie and Cruickshank treated the spectators to a fine piece of dribbling near the corner flag, and ultimately forced their opponents to concede a corner. Ritchie took the kick, but his shooting was wide of the mark, and a few minutes later half-time sounded.

Scarcely had the ball again been set in motion when McNicol again netted the ball from a centre by Knowles. Dundee seeming nettled at this unexpected reverse, put forth a special effort, and, getting well up the field, Cowie had a creditable try. The effort, however, was a little wide of the mark, and a goal kick was awarded. Returning to the attack, the visitors' front rank made good progress, and Wilson getting through gave Macfarlane a stinger of a shot, which was saved at the expense of a corner. For a time Dundee had the upper hand, and Macfarlane was called upon on several occasions, but always acquitted himself with credit. On one occasion, however, the ball was sent well into the goal from the left, and Bell, who was lying handy, headed the ball through, opening the scoring for Dundee. A little later Aberdeen got a penalty kick, and Ritchie scored. Shortly after, in the closing minutes of the game, Ritchie added another point.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th August 1904

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  MacFarlane, Mackie, Willox, Halkett, Strang, Robertson, Knowles, MacKay, McNicol, Cruickshank, Ritchie.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Muir; Robertson (Inverness), Jeffrey; Potter, McAteer, McDiarmid; Bell, Macfarlane, Wilson, Cowie, Thomson


Referee: Mr. Arthur Watt, Aberdeen

Related Links: