Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1937-38 fixture list
Buckie Thistle 3 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  6:30 PM   Calder, Bowie, Duncan.       Smith 10, Williams 15, Williams, Williams.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Park, Buckie


WOOD DIFFICULT TO BEAT,/p> Aberdeen beat Buckie Thistle at Buckie last night in a friendly game by the odd goal in seven. A. good crowd witnessed the game.

Aberdeen dictated the run of play in the first half, but Wood, Buckie's veteran 'keeper, was in excellent form, and only let two past, having many good saves. Buckie found a telling game in the second half when they scored three times, but Aberdeen had the match in hand.
Buckie kicked off, but Aberdeen immediately pressed, and forced a couple of fruitless corners, Scott shooting over. Buckie got away, and Bain shot close past.


After keen end-to-end play, slip by Bowie let R. Smith in to score. At the other end Johnstone held a header from Calder.
After pressure by Aberdeen, Wood saved from McKenzie, and after he fisted out a shot from Scott, Williams darted In and gave Wood no chance. Buckie then had a period of pressure without result. The home defence were well tested. Aberdeen showing good ball control, while their passing was well timed.
Calder then got through, but missed narrowly, while at the other end F. Smith saved what looked like certain goals from Williams and R. Smith.
Wood then saved from Williams at point-blank range, giving away a fruitless corner.
Play was mostly In the Buckie Territory In the first half.
After the resumption, Buckie gave a better display.
McKenzie got away for Aberdeen, but shot over. A free kick by Laing was fisted clear by Johnstone, but subsequent free kick was fastened on to by Calder, who scored.

BUCKIE IMPROVE,/p> Buckie put more heart into their work, and pressed strongly. Aberdeen forced a fruitless corner, and from a free kick by Nicholson, Wood brought off a great save.
The home defence was now in good form, and kept out the Aberdeen forwards until in a race for the ball Williams beat Wood and shot into an empty goal.
Buckie reduced the leeway through Bowie, who headed in a free kick taken by Laing, while in another Buckie raid Laing grazed the crossbar. Aberdeen now applied strong pressure, and Williams sent in a strong drive which Wood failed to stop, and the ball entered the net. Buckie replied through Duncan, whose shot entered the net as the result of a misunderstanding on the part of the Aberdeen defence.
Aberdeen tried to increase their score, but. the home defence held out.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st April 1938

Buckie Thistle Teamsheet:  Wood, Ross, F.Smith, Laing, Logie, Middleton, Cormack, James Bowie, Calder, Bain, David Duncan.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Temple, Fraser, Nicholson, Thomson, Smith, Scott, Williams, McKenzie, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Referee: John Cowie, Buckie

Related Links: