Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Regional League East 
Aberdeen 3 - 3 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Williams 23, Bain 26, Bain 62.       Cuthbertson 61, Nutley78, Fleming (pen) 86  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons Should Have Taken Both Points
The Dons should have retained both points on Saturday. That they did not do so was due to two things ? their lack of pep in the second half and Hibs' never-say-die spirit.

Considering the weather conditions, the football served up was of quite a good standard. Set to face a strong wind in the first period, Aberdeen led by two goals at the interval and seemed safe for victory.
A goal for Hibs sixteen minutes after the restart opened up the game. The Dons seemed to have taken too much out of themselves and had lost a good deal of their "fire."
The home defence was kept busy by the lively Edinburgh forwards. Cooper played well in the opening half, and Waddell was a sound defender all through.


Aberdeen's latest capture from Millwall, made quite a satisfactory debut. He was fast and dangerous, and distributed play cleverly.
Bain showed smart touches and Christie was an improved player compared with the previous week.
Hall and Fleming were good defenders for Hibs, and Cuthbertson took the forward honours. The inside-right gave a splendid display. Kean, at inside-left, was a forcing forward.
The Dons took the lead after twenty-three minutes, Williams heading home from a fast cross from Smith. A clever pass from Beattie enabled Bain to increase the home lead three minutes later.
Cuthbertson, ever dangerous, reduced the leeway with a header from a corner by Gallacher sixteen minutes after the start of the second half, and twelve minutes from the end Nutley equalised after a shot by Anderson had been deflected.


From the recentre the Dons made for Kerr and when Bain unexpectedly found himself in possession in the goalmouth he sent into the net. With four minutes to go Waddell brought Cuthbertson down inside the penalty area and Fleming netted from the "spot.".

Source: Press & Journal, 6th November 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Graham, Cooper, Dunlop, Waddell, Thomson, Smith, Bain, Beattie, Christie, Williams.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Kerr; Shaw, Hall; Fleming, Birse, Rice; Gallacher, Cuthbertson, Anderson, Kean, Nutley


Referee: A. Henderson, Kirkcaldy

Related Links: