Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1939-40 fixture list
Regional League East 
East Fife 1 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Adams 55       Strauss 20, Strauss 30, Williams, Strauss.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Bayview Park, Methil
Dons in Championship Form at Methil
If Aberdeen had the services of Armstrong, Strauss and Cowie every week they would win the Scottish League (Eastern Section) championship.

Against Falkirk, the leaders, at Pittodrie on Tuesday Armstrong and Strauss were instrumental in the Dons winning 6-2, and this pair, with Cowie, materially assisted them to beat East Fife at Saturday.
Unfortunately the will not be available again for some time. They left Aberdeen to rejoin their regiment last night.
The heroes of Saturday's victory were Strauss and Johnstone. The South African winger netted a hat-trick and Johnstone came to the rescue at a critical stage in the second half.


The Dons finished good winners of this game yet they came within an ace of losing at least one point. Two grand goals by Strauss set Aberdeen firmly on the road to victory, but in the second half East Fife took command and stormed the Dons' goal.
The Pittodrie defence was back on its heels, and when the home team reduced the leeway in ten minutes the fat was in the fire. It was then that Johnstone came to the rescue. He stood between Aberdeen and defeat, and his good work included the saving of a penalty from Adams.


Graham played a strong game at back, and Thomson was the best of the mid-line trio. Strauss was the No. 1 forward - the most dangerous man afield. Armstrong was more subdued than on Tuesday, but kept the ball moving in good style.
Wilke, Sneddon and Benson were hard working defenders for East Fife.
The forwards were reckless at close quarters. McLeod and Dawson were the best of the line.
The Dons took the lead twenty minutes after the start. Smart inter-changing of position between Armstrong and Williams saw Brownlie push out a dangerous try from the centre. Strauss came in to meet the ball fist-time, and it was in the net in a flash.


Ten minutes later the South African repeated the performance. Ferguson sent him off on the right and he cut in to beat the 'keeper a second time. Brownlie got to the ball, but he had no hope of stopping it.
The second half was only ten minutes old when Adams met a cross from Westbrook to reduce the leeway with a hard drive. From this point the Fifers launched attack after attack and when Graham fouled Westbrook inside the penalty area things looked black. Johnstone, however, stopped Adams' spot kick.


A breakaway by the Dons brought a third goal and made the points safe. Strauss crossed a ball from the right, Armstrong nodded it on and Williams scored. Shortly afterwards Strauss broke the away on his own, shook off a challenge by the back, and coolly beat Brownlie to net Aberdeen's fourth goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th January 1940

East Fife Teamsheet:  Brownlie; Wilkie, Stewart; Carroll, Sneddon, Benson; Adams, McLeod, Westbrook, Dawson, Birrell


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, Graham, Scott, Pattillo, Thomson, Strauss, Bain, Armstrong, Ferguson, Williams.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. Hendry, Larbert

Related Links: