Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1946-47 fixture list
Inter City Cup 
Dundee 2 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Ewen 26, Juliussen 78.        
Attendance: 22,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Forwards Have Lost Their Cunning: Defence Shaky

ABERDEEN have lost the Inter-City Cup. They were beaten 2-0 by Dundee at Dens Park yesterday, and, as on Saturday against Motherwell, there can be no doubt that victory went to the better team.

The Dons have struck a bad spell. The defence is lacking in confidence and the forwards have lost their cunning. It may be only a temporary loss of form, but it has come at a bad time.
They are due at Falkirk on Saturday and unless there is a big improvement they will not qualify for the quarter-finals of the League Cup.
Dundee won yesterday because they were faster on the ball and had more constructive ideas than the Aberdeen team. The margin of victory in no way flatters the Dundee side. With a little more steadiness in attack they might well have increased this total.
Dundee's first goal in twenty-six minutes was a well-taken affair. Hill broke clear on the left and sent the ball along the ground to Ewen, who beat Johnstone with a terrific drive.
The second goal came thirty-three minutes after the start of the second half, and didn't reflect credit on the Pittodrie defence. Gunn, the Dundee right winger, gained possession and made ground by moving over to the left.
When he sent the ball into the middle Juiiussen and McKenna went for it, but the Dons' left back succeeded only in helping the ball into the net.
Aberdeen's successes in this game are easily named. Johnstone and Cowie were the most consistent defenders. McKenzie, who was given a chance at centre-half, had a difficult task against Juliusnen, but the former Jamestown Athletic player gave a plucky display. He more than held his own after the interval.

Harris's Poor Game

McCall alone of the forwards showed anv enterprise or initiative. Harris had a poor game as leader of the attack, and neither Kiddie nor Miller impressed on the wings. The best that can be said for Wallbanks was that he tried hard. He was Injured in the second period and switched places with Kiddie.
Merchant at right-half showed promise, but too often after he had done good work he spoiled it by releasing the ball haphazardly.
Dundee were not a brilliant team, but they were full of "go." In Reg Smith at left-half they had the most polisned player afield. Tne former English international winger was sound in the tackle and was an adept at finding his man with the ball. McKenzie, on the other flank, also had sound constructive ideas.
Gunn and Ewen were the men who took the eye most in the Dundee attack.

Trophy Handed Over

Mr. James Black, Forfar, handed over the trophy to the captain of the Dundee team after the game. He paid tribute to William Mitchell, chairman of the Aberdeen club, who was the donor of the cup.
George A. Anderson, director-manager of the Dundee club, thanked Mr Black, and introduced Mr. Mitchell. The Aberdeen chairman congratulated Dundee and expressed the hope that they would soon regain their place in the "A" Division.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th October 1946

Dundee Teamsheet:  Reuben Bennett, Gerry Follon, Bobby Ancell, Gibby McKenzie, Tommy Gray, Reg Smith, Alistair Gunn, Johnny Pattillo, Albert Juliussen, Ernie Ewen, George Hill.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, McKenna, Merchant , McKenzie, Waddell, Kiddie, Wallbanks, Harris, McCall, Millar.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J.M.Martin, Blairgowrie

Related Links: