Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Scottish Reserve League 
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Rougvie 4.       Robertson 21, Dawson 87  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Rougvie Makes His Mark
We lost by 2 goals to one against Rangers Reserves at Pittodrie last Saturday and it was a bad result for us as it now puts the champions three points clear with a game in hand. At this early stage it puts Rangers in a very strong position, and the way they played against us on Saturday they are going to take some stopping. We took an early lead, when after good leading up work by Jocky Scott and Ian Gibson, Andy Watson continued the move by passing to Doug Rougvie who made no msitake in putting the ball behind Peter McCloy.
Rangers kept fighting back and scored when our defenders were caught out of position, allowing Boyd to cut in from the wing for a shot which John Gardiner did well to palm away. Unfortunately Chris Robertson following up had an easy chance to score. The score was one each at half time, and after the interval both teams tried hard to get the winning goal, but bad passing and good defensive play prevented the keepers from being over worked.
Three minutes from time a defensive lapse proved to be fatal for us. We were caught out when after a free kick on the half way line. Armour was allowed to cross the ball from the bye-line for right back Dawson to head the winner. Summing up: I would say that to keep our position near the top of the league we have to adopt a different attitude, its got to be hard work and determination, with the will to win.

Source: Match Programme, 29th October 1977

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Gardiner, Scott (Campbell 52), Glennie, Watson, McLeish, Cooper, Grant, Gibson, Brown (Clark), Rougvie, Scott.

Unused Subs:


Rangers Teamsheet:  McLoy; Dawson, Munro, Hamilton, Morris, Brand, McKay (Strickland 52), McKean, Robertson, Watson (Armour), Boyd


Referee: G. Rennie, Alloa

Related Links: