Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2013-14 fixture list
Scottish Premiership 
Aberdeen 0 - 1 Motherwell
Kick Off:  12:15 PM         Reid 90.  
Attendance: 17,016 (Visitors: 1,131)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Last Minute Controversy as Well Snatch Second

redweb match report Derek McInnes named an unchanged side from the won who beat Dundee United. Willo Flood recovered from his dead leg. Hayes was at left back again, Logan at right back with Anderson and Reynolds in the middle of the defence. Flood and Jack were the holding midfielders with Robson on the left and McGinn on the right, with Pawlett playing off Vernon. Stuart McCall's line up suggested they would sit deep and try and hit Aberdeen on the break with Ainsworth and Francis-Angol on the wings.

Interestingly the visitors won the toss and decided to change ends and make Aberdeen shoot towards the RDS in the first half.

On 5 minutes the first real attack of the game. Hayes came off his left back area and made a terrific forward run to the by-line. He put over a dangerous ball which Lee Hollis could only get a hand on and deflect it into the box but unfortunately the ball would not land at an Aberdeen player. The ball was only half cleared back to Hayes on the edge of the area but he blasted his first time effort over. Stuart Kerr did well to close Jonny down quickly.

Aberdeen maintained possession well in the opening period but it was very clear Motherwell would be tough to break down.

After 11 minutes McGinn had an opening but he did shot did not catch it as well as he would have wanted. Then Craig Reid and Lee Hollis got in a mess with a pass back. The ball was looped up in a dangerous area and Motherwell could not clear there lines. A last ditch tackle then saw Ryan Jack taken down on the edge of the area. The Dons had a free kick in a good area. Robson tried to drill it in low but the wall did it's job and they stayed strong to block the McGinn follow up shot.

Then another mistake by Hollis, he threw it straight to an Aberdeen player which handed the Dons another chance. Ryan Jack picked it up and tried to curl in a shot which in the end Vernon was not far away from.

On 18 minutes Ainsworth was replaced by Henri Anier. He had picked up a knock after a collision with Jack. Aberdeen knew they would get some joy if they could attack the Well defence at pace. On 20 minutes Pawlett did this and caused problems and won a corner. Hollis completely missed the cross but the ball was flicked clear by a defender. Aberdeen then won a corner from the other side but again Motherwell looked very solid at the back.

Aberdeen were showing a lot of patience in their build ups. Motherwell though were quite happy to keep 10 men behind the ball and they were sitting so deep Aberdeen struggled to down the flanks.

After about half an hour Vigurs had Motherwell's first shot at goal but it did not trouble Langfield. Then just when it looked like Lee Hollis had got over his nervy start, he lost the flight of a ball put over by Hayes and in the end it hit the woodwork and bounced to safety. Just before half time Iain Vigurs was booked for a foul on Willo Flood. More for persistent fouling. Then Reynolds had a shot on the turn but it did not trouble Hollis.

redweb match report HT

Motherwell came out at the start of the second half showing more an attacking threat. A couple of minutes in they won a free kick right on the edge of the area. Vigurs took it but landed up hitting the ball in the wall, just as the Dons had done in the first half.

On 50 minutes another great run from Hayes into the Motherwell box but in the end he was just crowded out. Although he was a left back, Jonny was still looking the Dons most threatening player. Then on 52 minutes a chance - a free kick was played in by Robson. It was the perfect ball in but Reynolds' glancing header went just wide. On 55 minutes Shaun Hutchinson made a superb saving tackle on McGinn. If he had miss timed the tackle he would have been off and had he not tackled Niall then it was an almost certain goal for the Dons.

Motherwell were certainly willing to push more players forward but you also felt when the game became more stretched it would suit the Dons.

On 58 minutes a through ball by Reynolds found McGinn in the clear. The striker was at a slight angle but took way too long to get his shot away and Hutchinson again was able to get back and made a very good tackle. Niall really should have done better and at least forced Hollis into a save. On the hour mark the Dons worked a corner top give them a better angle. Robson floated it to the back post and there was a stramash in the 6 yard box. Hollis took the ball over Anderson's head and then Reynolds headed the ball into the keeper's arms.

On 62 minutes McGinn made space for himself in the box, but he was just unable to pick out Vernon with his cutback. The chance came from another poor Hollis clearance. The game in the final 20 minutes became very nervy. There was still no real urgency from Motherwell but Aberdeen did not really look like breaking them down.

redweb match report On 75 minutes Jack's cross was not far away from Vernon and then Robson coming in at the back post missed it. Hollis was stuck in the middle and he could not get on the ball either. With just over 15 minutes to go Well brought on James McFadden for Stephen McManus in an attempt to get the goal they needed. A minute McFadden coming on saw them winning their first corner of the game but the Aberdeen defence held firm and headed clear.

Then on 80 minutes a moment of controversy. On the break Vernon put Pawlett in but he was flagged offside. It looked a very tight decision. TV replays show it was not tight - he was 5 yards onside!

The final ten minutes were even more nervy - but Aberdeen still had most of the possession and although Motherwell were now throwing everything at the Dons you felt it was maybe a little too late. Referee McLean signalled there would only be one minute of injury time. Motherwell then won a free kick deep inside their half. The free kick was not taken from the correct spot which allowed the ball to reach the Dons penalty area. As Langfield came to claim Sutton jumped into him and clearly used an arm to take the keeper out. All the players were waiting for the referee to blow for a free kick but play continued and the ball bounced off the bar. Mark Reynolds had got back on the line but could do nothing to stop Reid bundling the ball over the line. Even then all the Motherwell players turned to the referee before celebrating.

A sickening way to end the season. Credit to Motherwell for battling to the final whistle but one of the officials really should have spotted such an obvious infringement.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Logan, Anderson, Reynolds, Hayes, McGinn, Flood, Jack, Robson, Pawlett, Vernon.

Unused Subs: Weaver, Murray, McManus, Smith, Zola, Rose, Tate.

Bookings:  Anderson (90).

Motherwell Teamsheet:  Lee Hollis, Craig Reid, Shaun Hutchinson, Stephen McManus (James McFadden 76), Steven Hammell, Lionel Ainsworth (Henri Anier 18), Keith Lasley, Iain Vigurs (Jack Leitch 72), Zaine Francis-Angol, Fraser Kerr, John Sutton.

Unused Subs: Chris Cadden, Lee Erwin, Euan Murray, Gunnar Nielsen.

Bookings:  Iain Vigurs (41).

Referee: Steven McLean, Motherwell

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)