Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Scottish Reserve League 
Celtic 4 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Craig, Edvaldsson, Lennox, Craig       Watson, Grant, Davidson, Grant 88.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Young Dons Grab Point At Parkhead
Our Fixture with Celtic Reserves was brought forward to mid week and it turned out to be a good idea as it gave both Managers a chance to see their young players.
It was a good, exciting game played in conditions that were more suited for ski-ing. There was about three inches of snow covering a soft surface, and all players deserve credit for their performance. It was not a day for goalkeepers as both No.1 's could be faulted for some of the eight goals scored. Joe Craig scored the only goal of the first half when John Gardiner failed to hold on to a Burns cross.
I felt we were a bit unlucky to go in at the interval in arrears, as Duncan Davidson was causing the Celtic defence problems with his pace, George Campbell was giving Roy Kay a hard time, and Dougie Brown should have scored instead of hitting the post after a cross from "Pele" had caused a scramble in the home team's goal mouth. Celtic went further ahead after the interval when Edvaldsson scored from a free kick. We pulled one back when Andy Watson scored in a goal mouth scrimage and we were back in the game until another blunder by our keeper allowed Lennox an easy chance to net after the ball rebounded from the cross bar.
We fought back and Duncan Davidson notched our second when after a Campbell corner from the right, the ball was nodded across goal, giving Duncan an easy chance. Celtic scored again to restore thei r two goal lead for the third time. This time it was Bobby Glennie who was our culprit when his short pass back was snapped up by Joe Craig who had the easiest of tasks in scoring. Four minutes later Alec Grant replaced Brown and with Davidson and Andy Watson spearheading the attack we started to click. Bobby Glennie redeemed himself when he crossed a good ball for Alec Grant to head strongly into the net with his first touch of the ball.
Alec also scored our equaliser when Duncan Davidson pushed a ball through for him to outstrip the defence and hammer the ball past Roy Baines. Doug Rougvie was the better of the full backs, giving the vetern Bobby Lennox a lean time. Neil Cooper had a first class game and was well supported by Alec McLeish. Steve Archibald playing his first game for us had a quiet time but looks as if he will be a great asset to the club. Gordon Strachan playing his second game after injury had an effective game and was always in the thick of things. Up front Davidson and Campbell were our star performers ably supported by Andy Watson and Alec Grant, our substitute.

Source: Teddy Scott's Reserve Report, Match Programme, 28th January 1978

Celtic Teamsheet:  Baines; Kay, Sneddon, Casey, Edvaldsson, Dowie, Mackie, Craig, G. McCluskey, Burns (J. McCluskey), Lennox


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Gardiner, Rougvie, Glennie, Archibald, McLeish, Cooper, Davidson, Watson, Brown (Grant), Strachan, Campbell.

Unused Subs:


Referee: R. Edmiston, Barrhead

Related Links: