Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Rangers 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Rangers scorers: English 17, Marshall 38, English 78
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 7.

03/12/1932 | KO:

ABERDEEN PUT UP GREAT FIGHT. Light Blues Lucky in First Half

The game at Ibrox Park was a good one considering the conditions that prevailed. Combination, it is true, was not much in evidence, but this was not surprising, as the heavy ground cut up very badly, made ball control difficult and footing very insecure. The weakness of the Aberdeen forward line lay in their efforts at close pressing instead of sending the ball into goal on every possible occasion.
The Northern backs and half-backs played well; Moore was missed in a forward line which lacked decision and personality, and Smith, in goal, seemed to be slow in covering the ball when English scored the first goal, and he should not have left his post when the same player scored the third goal. Rangers have been seen to better advantage, and Hamilton and Gray alone seemed to strike normal form. Meiklejohn received a knock early in the game, and his play was not so forceful as usual thereafter. Brown was the best of the half-backs. Smith, at outside left, was the most dangerous of the home forwards, and English made many solo raids. There were times, however, when he should have sent the ball across goal instead of shooting it past.
It was a day to test the stamina of the players; the home men stood the pace better, and so deserved to win in the end.

When the play commenced it was soon seen that the pitch was very soft. Smith, the Rangers' outside left just missed with a snap shot after the Aberdeen goalkeeper punched clear. Once they settled, Aberdeen took a grip of the game and, after Hamilton had cleared his lines twice, McLean missed an easy chance to score. With 17 minutes gone Rangers scored, against the run of play, English heading through after a corner kick taken by Smith.
Forced on by their wing half-backs, the Aberdeen forwards kept the ball near Hamilton, and cries of disappointment went up when a shot by Warnock beat the goalkeeper and rebounded form the far post. Beattie was prominent at this stage, and following one of his shots, Hamilton touched the ball out to McLean, who again missed a chance by sending the ball direct at Hamilton, who was on the ground.. Moore's presence might have made a difference at this time; Aberdeen certainly had their opportunities to score. The home defenders were none too sure of themselves under pressure, and Aberdeen only got their due when Mills levelled the score by lifting the ball over the heads of several players after 36 minutes. A minute later Smith drew three or four Aberdeen defenders and passed the ball to Marshall, who availed himself of an easy chance to score. On play Aberdeen should not have been a goal down at the interval.

Rangers on Top

Aberdeen resumed in brisk fashion, and, had Armstrong been smarter, he might have levelled the scores again. After this burst, however, the men from the north fell away, and Rangers had the ball twice in the net, but the points were disallowed. With 14 minutes of the second half to go Smith ran out to punch the ball following an Archibald cross. He missed it, and after the ball had come off McPhail's head English touched it through the empty goal.
Rangers were definitely on top thereafter, and the game lost interest from a competitive point of view. Aberdeen tried hard to rally, but the good work of the defenders was nullified by the indecision of the forwards when the ball had been taken to the Rangers' goal.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 5th December 1932

Although beaten by three goals to one, Aberdeen left a good impression at Ibrox. Rangers had to fight all the way for victory and it was not until the seventy-eighth minute that a goal by English made the issue really safe.
Considering that they were without two of their most important players ? Moore and Falloon, who are on the injured list - the Dons put up a good display.
In the first half they played as good football as the Light Blues, and the homesters were fortunate to hold an odd-goal-in-three lead at the interval.
Both Rangers' goals might have been avoided. It seemed as if Smith might saved the first, which was scored by English from a corner; and the second was the result of defensive blunder.
Cooper, McGill, and O'Reilly concentrated on Smith and English, and Marshall, left uncovered, ran in to beat Smith from close range.

The Equaliser.

Aberdeen's equalising goal was a well taken affair. Armstrong beat Meiklejohn on the left and shot for goal. Hamilton left his charge to punch the ball away to Mills, who coolly lofted it over a crowd of players into the net.
Aberdeen's half-backs and backs combine splendidly during this period, and the Ibrox combine were hard put to it to hold their own. Only one fault could be found with the Pittodrie attack, and that was a lack of decisiveness near goal.
There was a different tale to tell in the second period. Some of the younger members of the Aberdeen team were obviously feeling the effects of a gruelling first half, and the more experienced Rangers team gradually asserted themselves.
The Light Blues held a decided advantage territorially, and credit must be given the Dons for their magnificent fight during this stage.

Goals Disallowed.

The leaders only counted once through English. Both Smith and the centre-forward has the ball in the net prior to the third goal, but the points were correctly adjudged illegitimate.
Although shaky at times under sustained pressure, the Aberdeen defence came well out of a trying ordeal. Coop was the better of the backs.
All three intermediate men showed to advantage in the first half, but were too busy defending to be prominent in a constructive capacity in the second period. Fraser was the best of the trio. He held his own with Smith and McPhail, and was ever ready to push home an attack, even in the the second forty-five minutes.

Plucky O'Reilly.

O'Reilly, who deputised for Falloon is due much praise for a plucky display in a strange position.
His duel with English, who was in his best form, was one of the features of the game, and although the ex-Brideville player did not always come off best, he was far from disgraced.
The attack was clever and cohesive, but was inclined to be too elaborate near goal. Beattie and Mills were always in the limelight in the first period, and caused the Rangers' defence a good deal of anxiety.
Armstrong was over-anxious, but showed an improvement on his previous week's display, and is due credit for his share in Aberdeen's goal.
Rangers have a capable rear trio in Hamilton, Gray, and McDonald. Gray, an ex-Aberdeen junior, was the best back afield.
The intermediate line had a busy first half against the quick-moving Aberdeen attack. Brown and Meiklejohn were clever and thrustful, especially in the later stages.
English was a fast and dangerous leader, while Marshall was the better of a wide-awake inside pair. Archibald was a dangerous raider on the right, and Smith, on the other wing, was strong and forceful.

How Goals Were Scored

Play was fast, keen, and even in the opening stages, but with 17 minutes gone Rangers tool the lead. Smith forced a corner, and English forestalled the Aberdeen 'keeper by nodding the ball into the net. Shortly Afterwards Rangers had a stroke of luck when a great drive by Warnock struck the inside of the post and rebounded into play.
Thirty-seven minutes after the start Aberdeen deservedly equalised through Mills. Then a minute later the Aberdeen defence was caught napping, and Marshall restored Rangers' lead. The Light Blues were lucky to be ahead at the interval.
Shortly after restart Smith had the ball in the net from a corner, but before nodding the ball home he appeared to push Cooper with his hands, and the referee chalked off the point. Within 12 minutes English headed home a Brown lob, but the ball was netted from an offside position.
Aberdeen were kept on the defensive and held out until the thirty-third minute when English scored a third goal to put the issue beyond doubt.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th December 1932

Rangers Teamsheet
Hamilton; Gray, MacDonald; Meiklejohn, Simpson, Brown; Archibald, Marshall, English, McPhail, Smith
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: T. Dougray, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen