Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clyde 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Clyde scorers: Boyd 8, Boyd 30
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 49, Mills.

18/11/1933 | KO:


Mills and Boyd, the Stars, Both Notch Two Goals
Fast and Exciting Game.

A splendid second-half revival saved Aberdeen from defeat at Shawfield. Both teams should be satisfied with a draw, although the Dons, had they accepted some of their chances in the latter part of the first half, might have won.

Despite the heavy ground a fast pace was maintained until the closing stages, and both elevens are due credit for a wholehearted display.
When Clyde retired at the interval two goals up against the wind, the home crowd thought that the issue was settled, but they had reckoned without Aberdeen's ability to fight back.
The Dons did not strike their game until well on in the first half, and when several chances were missed hopes of saving the game seemed slim indeed.

Boyd's Goals.

The homesters' go-ahead, first-time tactics met with success in the eighth minute, when McCulloch beat Cooper and whipped the ball into the centre for Boyd to hook it into the net.
In half an hour the Clyde centre gained possession, following a free-kick, beat McGill in one swift movement, and slammed the ball past Smith.
Aberdeen pulled themselves together, and O'Reilly almost did the trick from a free-kick, the ball striking the upright. Beynon missed a chance when he hesitated to shoot first-time from a Moore header, and Stevenson dived from his goal to avert disaster.
We saw a different Aberdeen against the wind in the second half. There was more snap about their work. Urged on by the halves, the forwards swept down on Stevenson with fine precision.
Four minutes after the restart Mills slung the ball out to Beynon and raced forward at top speed to meet the return cross and head into the net.
This goal was just the tonic Aberdeen needed, and after several furious assaults had been beaten back with difficulty, came the equaliser.

Honours to Mills.

Again it was the result of a Beynon-Mills move. Stevenson pushed out the winger's cross, but Mills, although the ball was at an awkward height, lashed it into the net without hesitation.
The honours the day must to Mills. Until the last minute the inside-left was a doubtful starter owing to quinsy throat. It was left to the player himself to decide, and it was well for the Dons that he decided in the affirmative.
Beynon was Aberdeen's most dangerous forward. He was quick to turn defence into attack, and his crosses were always fraught with danger.
Love on the other wing was little behind, but his finishing could be improved.
Considering the state of the ground, Warnock lasted the pace splendidly, and he combined cleverly with Beynon.
Moore is due credit for the manner in which he distributed the ball, but he was a trifle slow and his shooting was erratic.
The Aberdeen intermediate trio were disappointing in the first half. They never had a grip of the Clyde attack during this period.

Elusive Centre.

Falloon found Boyd too elusive, and was not seen to advantage until the second period.
O'Reilly struck form at the right time - twenty minutes from the end - when the other players, were rapidly tiring. Previous to this he had done little of note.
Selectors Nivieson and Kirkwood were watching Fraser, and it was unfortunate that the Dons' left-half was seen at his best only during the first twenty-five minutes of the second period.
He was the most polished middleman afield, however.
Cooper and McGill were overworked in the first half, but they defended strongly. The former was the better of the two.
Smith, in goal, had many great saves to his credit, but none better than that in the closing minutes, when he pushed over a cannon-ball shot from Carroll when all seemed lost.
Clyde have a strong and reliable pair of defenders in Summers and Smith, and Stevenson between the sticks was a capable 'keeper.
Because he guarded Moore closely, Wood took the honours at half-back, but McPhail and Mayes both were prominent with fine offensive work in the first half.
The best player on the Clyde side, however, was undoubtedly Boyd, who proved himself a fast and dangerous leader.
McCulloch, on the left wing, comes next in order merit. He was tricky and speedy.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th November 1933

Clyde Teamsheet
Stevenson; Summers, Smith; McPhail, Wood, Mayes; Carroll, McNaughton, Boyd, Johnstone, McCulloch
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: J. Hudson, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride