Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Clyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Clyde

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 2, Cooper 26, Beynon 80, Beynon 85.

24/03/1934 | KO:


Dons Give Good Display in Second Half

An 8000 crowd got little to enthuse over at Pittodrie on Saturday. The game was spoiled by a high wind, which made ball control difficult.

There was no doubting Aberdeen's superiority. They were the better balanced and more methodical side, and from the time Mills scored the opening: goal, two after the start, until the final whistle, the issue was never in doubt.
With wind and sun in their favour, it was expected that the Dons would pile up an unassailable lead in the first half. This did not prove to be the case, however. The homesters undoubtedly held a territorial advantage - Clyde's incursions into the Aberdeen half of the field could have been counted on one hand ? but they found the net only twice.
The Dons kept the ball too much in the air. Had they made more use of the short ground pass there seems little doubts that they would have had a more substantial lead at the interval.
Clyde disappointed in the second half. Even allowing for the fact that the wind died down somewhat midway through the period, the Shawfielders made a poor show, and it was seldom indeed that they threatened danger.

Better Ball Control.

Aberdeen, on the other hand, were an improved side. There was more cohesion and purpose about their movements against the wind, and they showed better ball control.
The first goal came two minutes after the start of the game. Moore nodded down a lob forward by Falloon, and Mills ran forward, to cleverly lob the ball over the advancing 'keeper.
Cooper was responsible for the second goal, scored in the twenty-sixth minute.
The right back was trotting downfield after having taken a free-kick; the ball came to him, and his lusty return punt was whirled high into the net.

Beynon's Goals.

The third and best goal of the match came ten minutes from the end. Fraser swung across a fine ball, and Beynon, running in, flashed it into the net first time. Five minutes later Beynon slipped home a Love pass to complete the scoring.
There was a remarkable incident shortly after the start of the second half. Referee Small collapsed in the middle of the field, and the players and trainer crowded round. The official had twisted his ankle, but was able to resume after attention.
The Aberdeen defence gave a sond display. Smith's work was confined for the most part to clearing loose balls, but both McGill and Cooper were busy at times.
The right back was the more polished defender, but his partner played his part.
Falloon was seen in the unusual role of attacking pivot in the first half, and he did quite well. After the interval he fell back in defence and dominated the centre of the field.
Fraser was sound both in defence and attack, while Thomson tackled well, but did not shine in an offensive capacity.

Dangerous Wingers.

Love and Beynon on the extreme wings were the most dangerous Aberdeen attackers. There was little to choose between them, but Benyon is perhaps due a pat on the back for the manner in which he snapped his two goals.
Mills did well in the first half, but his passing was loose in the second.
Robertson was eager, but his very eagerness caused him to make mistakes. He showed some smart touches, however, and did not let the side down.
McNaughton shadowed Moore closely,, but the centre proved most elusive and started some clever movements.
The Clyde defence was overworked but come out of the game with credit.
Stevenson in goal had one or two fine saves, and Russell was the more confident back.
he half-backs never caught up with the Aberdeen attack, and they lent theor own forwards little support.
Carroll on the right wing was the most enterprising and dangerous forward, but he did not get enough of the ball.
McCulloch, on the other wing, had one or two good runs, but the inside trio never got out of the toils of the home defence.

Source: Press & Journal, 26th March 1934

Clyde Teamsheet
Stevenson; Russell, Smith; McPhail, Wood, Beaton (Royal Albert), Carroll, Robertson, McNaughton, Johnstone, McCulloch
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride