Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

Premier Division
Aberdeen scorers: Archibald 44, McMaster 73, McMaster 89.

18/08/1979 | KO: 15:00


This was Aberdeen's opening league fixture at Pittodrie in what was to be a memorable season, culminating in winning the Premier League for the first time, John McMaster gave a great display in this game including a spectacular long-range goal.

Aberdeen kicked off with a tremendous attacking burst and within 20 seconds John McMaster drove a powerful shot just past the post, Before Hibs had managed to organise themselves properly at the back, Duncan Davidson, McMaster again and Mark McGhee all threatened McArthur's goal in quick succession. The 12,000 crowd - the Dons' fans among them anyway - enjoyed the early Aberdeen pressure. Hibs eventually counter-attacked and a Bremner shot was deflected narrowly past by Willie Garner. An outstanding save by McArthur kept the scoreline blank when he leapt to touch a Davidson shot on to the post. When McMaster slipped, Callachan thundered past Doug Considine and hit the ball into the side-netting. The Easter Road side tried again and Campbell forced Bobby Clark to tip his raging shot on to, and over, the bar. A minute before half-time Steve Archibald broke the deadlock when he rose high above the visitors' defence to head home a Gordon Strachan corner-kick.

McGhee was floored by Duncan as the Dons eagerly sought the vital second goal, Campbell and McNamara combined to baulk Archibald as the home side increased the pressure. Former Aberdeen manager Eddie Turnbull introduced Rae for Brown in an effort to stem the tide. A few minutes later Drew Jarvie came on for Davidson and Brown substituted for Higgins. Immediately the Aberdeen replacement made an impact on the game, setting up chances for Archibald and Strachan. McArthur again excelled by pushing Strachan's deceptive chip over the bar but in 73 minutes he was beaten when the Dons claimed their second goal. McMaster shot strongly from 25 yards out and the power was too much for the keeper, who allowed the ball to squirm out of his grasp. A crisp piece of play involving Archibald, McGhee and Jarvie almost brought a third goal as the Dons buzzed around McArthur's goal. The home side were now in complete control and in 89 minutes Jarvie sent McMaster clear for the midfielder, who had played excellently throughout, to round the keeper and guide the ball into the empty net.

Source: March Programme, 1st August 1992

N.B.Despite what is described in the above match report, the second goal scored by the Dons in this match was originally awarded to Steve Archibald in the weekend papers but by Monday it had been given to Duncan Davidson.
The circumstances were that Archibald had headed the ball on target but Davidson actually took the ball over the line. It may also be the case that the referee had awarded the goal to Davidson in his report.
Needless to say both of the players claimed the goal as theirs.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Clark, Kennedy, Considine, McLeish, Garner, Miller, McGhee, Archibald, Strachan, McMaster, Davidson (Jarvie 65).

Bookings:  McGhee (63).
Hibernian Teamsheet
McArthur, Brazil, Duncan, Bremner, Paterson, McNamara, Callachan, Campbell, Hutchinson, Brown J (Rae 59), Higgins (Brown 65)
Attendance: 10,300
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: M. Delaney, Cleland
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow