Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Stranraer 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Stranraer 0 - 0 Aberdeen

League Cup Third Round
Aberdeen scorers: Smith 57, Nicholson 68.

20/09/2005 | KO: 19:45

Dons ease through in cup

After an uncomfortable opening 45 minutes Aberdeen eased through to the quarter final of the CIS cup. Jamie Smith broke the deadlock in the 57th minute with a left foot strike and Crawford and Nicholson combined well in the 68th minute to make it 2-0. Calderwood will be happy to see his side progress after the first division team did well before the break and went close when a Sharp effort crashed off the post.

The match was delayed for a couple of minutes as a flare was cleared from the pitch then within the first 30 seconds Chris Clark fired a shot wide of the target. Aberdeen were in control but Stranraer threatened in the 7th minute when Leigh Hinds broke and fired in a cross. Fortunately for Aberdeen Moore was unable to get on to the end of the delivery. Seconds later Aberdeen set up a counter attack but Severin was well off target with his effort. Aberdeen won their first corner of the match in the 11th minute but an infringement on Moore halted play. Two minutes later Smith had a crack at goal as he fired his effort wide.

Stranraer were enjoying some good possession and won their second corner of the match in the 18th minute, but Hamilton's header from the set play was well gathered by Esson. Aberdeen failed to heed the warning and two minutes later they almost went behind when Sharp found space in the box and smashed a left foot shot against the post. Aberdeen were limited to long range efforts at this stage but in the 25th minute Smith released McNaughton but his finish was weak as he pulled the ball wide of the right hand post. With half an hour gone the home side were looking the better value as Hinds in particular was causing real problems for the Dons defence.

Aberdeen then went close in the 34th minute when Corr was forced into a save from Crawford after Nicholson had his effort blocked. The home defence were coping well with Aberdeen and a Jamie Smith corner in the 36th minute was easily cleared. Smith carved out a great chance a minute later then ruined the moment when he blazed the ball over the bar after good build up play. A free kick in the 42nd almost produced a goal for the Dons but Corr made a safe catch from a Severin header. The half ended with Stranraer continuing to push for the opening goal.

Aberdeen carved out a chance in the 49th minute when Muirhead worked his way down the wing and delivered a promising cross that found Nicholson. Unfortunately Crawford blocked the midfielder?s header. The Dons appeared to be playing with more purpose since the interval and their pressure paid off in the 57th minute. Chris Clark delivered a cross from the left and Jamie Smith swept the ball into the net with his left foot. They almost doubled that tally on the hour mark when they won a corner and a Considine header was cleared off the line.

Dempsey replaced Considine in the 63rd minute with Scott Severin dropping into the back three. Aberdeen doubled their advantage five minutes later when Steve Crawford held the ball up and spotted a run from Barry Nicholson. The midfielder then made no mistake as he headed past the keeper. In the 78th minute Aberdeen almost added a third when both Nicholson and Crawford had shots blocked. Five minutes later Anderson went close after playing a one-two with Jamie Smith. Dempsey fired wide in the 84th minute then in injury time Esson ensured a clean sheet when he made a magnificent save from Moore.

Match Stats:

Blues Dons
Goal Attempts 6 19
On Target 4 9
Corners 4 5
Possession 30% 70%

Stranraer Teamsheet
Corr, Swift, Wingate, Henderson, Keddie, Hamilton, Aitken (Ross 65), Jenkins, Sharp (Higgins 75), Moore, Hinds (Shields 68) Unused Subs:
Attendance: 2,200
Venue: Stair Park, Stranraer
Referee: Ian Fyfe, Linlithgow
Considine clashes with Hinds in tonight's match.
Steve Crawford in action against Stranraer.
Barry Nicholson battles in midfield against Stranraer.
Jamie Smith opens the scoring against Stranraer.
Smith is congratulated after opening the scoring.
Nicholson heads home the second goal.
Nicholson celebrates after scoring.
Leigh Hinds leaves Nicholson on the deck.
The Dons bench watch the action.
Russell Anderson goes close at Stranraer.