Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee United

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee United

Aberdeen scorers: Mackie 38, Nicholson 47, Nicholson 71.
Dundee United scorers: Robson 70

21/10/2006 | KO: 15:00

Dons back to winning ways at Pittodrie

Aberdeen had a comfortable win over Dundee United this afternoon despite a controversial penalty award to the visitor's in the 70th minute. The opening goal came in the 38th minute when Nicholson unleashed a shot that was parried by Stillie into the path of Mackie who had a simple tap in for his third goal of the season and the 100th Aberdeen goal under Jimmy Calderwood. A tremendous free kick from Barry Nicholson just after the break put the Dons on easy street until referee Craig Thomson awarded the softest spot kick Pittodrie has witnessed. Robson accepted the gift but Aberdeen went straight up the park and Nicholson restored the two goal lead with a diving header.

United kicked off and had a penalty claim in the opening minute when Barry Robson went down rather theatrically. Fortunately referee Craig Thomson was unimpressed and Aberdeen started to probe at a United defence that were defending in packs. Lee Miller looked to have set up Jamie Smith in the 4th minute but was penalised for his challenge. Three minutes later Scott Severin attempted to make up for his error last week with a nice shot that dipped in front of Stillie. The keeper did well to hold on with Mackie sniffing for scraps.

Dempsey headed a Foster cross wide in the 9th minute then Aberdeen won a couple of corners as they kept the visitor's pinned back. Hesitancy at the back almost let Dempsey in after 13th minute but the ball was scrambled clear before a Foster effort went wide. Jamie Smith almost opened the scoring a minute later when his shot was deflected inches wide. The resultant corner saw Stillie gather a Lee Miller shot as Aberdeen continued to threaten.

Stillie was off his line smartly to deny Mackie before Clark worked his way down the left but failed to produce a telling cross. Mackie then beat the offside trap in the 19th minute and went one-on-one with Stillie. The keeper cut the angle and Mackie's effort rolled across the goal line with the supporting players slow to react. Stillie easily gathered another long-range effort from Smith in the 24th minute before a similar attempt from Clark skidded wide three minutes later. United then had a good chance from a free kick on the half hour mark but the delivery was poor and Aberdeen cleared easily.

Chris Clark then delivered a great cross that shot across the face of the goal with three Aberdeen players holding back when the simplest of touches would have opened the scoring. United then raced forward and Langfield was forced into a fine save to deny Proctor. Lee Miller then went close to opening his account when he collected a knock down from Anderson but was crowded out and had his shot blocked. The United defence could do nothing a minute later as Aberdeen grabbed the lead.

Nicholson strode forward into space and unleashed a shot that was parried by Stillie into the path of Mackie who had a simple tap in for his third goal of the season and the 100th Aberdeen goal under Jimmy Calderwood. Clark almost doubled the advantage a minute later with a fierce shot that scraped inches wide of the target. Aberdeen looked comfortable and continued to drive forward looking for a second killer goal.

Aberdeen made the perfect start to the second half when Smith was upended on the edge of the box. Dempsey ran over the ball and Nicholson hit the perfect free kick round the wall and into the top corner of the net. Dempsey then went close two minutes later when his shot was deflected wide for a corner. Clark, who had been giving the United defence a torrid time all afternoon broke on the left and delivered another great cross that once again failed to find a colleague far enough forward to turn it into the net.

Smith should have done better in the 53rd minute when he broke on the right but delivered the ball between his two strikers then a minute later substitute Duff collected the first yellow card of the game. From the resultant free kick the ball was rolled to Severin and his low shot went inches wide. Smith then collected a yellow card on his return after a late challenge. Substitute Goodwillie then went close when he headed a corner over Langfield's goal. United then won a corner from the stand side linesman when the ball clearly came off of Samuel.

At the other end Mackie cut in from the right and hit a fierce shot that was deflected wide. Goodwillie then carved out a chance for himself as he shoved Anderson off the ball deep inside the Aberdeen penalty area, but the skipper recovered well to rob the youngster. Dempsey then tested Stillie in the 67th minute as the keeper tipped the ball over the bar. Dempsey went close again from the corner as his shot was blocked then controversy raged when United were awarded one of the softest penalty kicks Pittodrie has witnessed for a nothing challenge at the corner of the box. The Aberdeen players were incandescent with rage at the decision but Barry Robson stepped up to bullet the ball past Langfield.

Aberdeen hit back immediately with a terrific diving header from Barry Nicholson as United became the first club to concede 500 SPL goals. Amid the celebrations the Stand Side linesman once again got himself involved as he attracted the attention of Mr. Thomson who went and booked Anderson. Maguire replaced Jamie Smith and in the 82nd minute he went on a great run down the left in a move that ended with Severin firing over. Maguire then thought he had claimed his first senior goal for club in the 88th minute as he tapped in Foster's cross, but the youngster had gone too early and was clearly offside.

Match Stats:

Dons United
Goal Attempts 13 2
On Target 7 1
Corners 10 4
Possession 58% 42%

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Hart, Severin, Nicholson, Anderson, Foster, Smith (Maguire 78), Dempsey, Mackie (Considine 85), Miller, Clark.

Unused Subs: Donald, Winter, Paton, Macaulay, Soutar.

Bookings:  Smith (59),  Anderson (72),  Hart (81),  Clark (90).
Dundee United Teamsheet
Stillie, Kalvenes (Duff 46), McCracken, Mair, Archibald, Kerr (Conway 57), Hunt (Goodwillie  57), Robson, Samuel, Cameron, Proctor.

Bookings:  Duff 54
Attendance: 10,747
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Craig Thomson, Paisley
Today's match programme.
Gary Dempsey in action at Pittodrie this afternoon.
Jamie Smith made a welcome return from injury.
Russell Anderson keeps tabs on Colin Samuel.
Darren Mackie is first to react to Stillie's parry and opens the scoring.
Mackie celebrates as the United defence hold an inquest.
Chris Clark in action this afternoon.
Stillie can do nothing to keep out Nicholson's free kick as Severin and Miller look on.
Nicholson celebrates his goal with Dempsey and Mackie.
Mackie is denied by a timely challenge.
Nicholson heads Foster's cross into the net seconds after United converted their controversial spot kick.
Barry waits all season for a goal and two come on the same day.
Nicholson can't hide his delight as he celebrates with Foster and Smith.
The stand side assistant draws the attention of the referee to book Anderson.
The two managers shake hands at full time.
Man of the Match Barry Nicholson acknowledges the red arrny at the end.
Next Match
20 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Hampden Park, Glasgow