Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Alloa Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Alloa Athletic

Dewar Shield Semi Final Second Leg
Aberdeen scorers: Warnock 25, Mills 35, Armstrong 60.

29/08/1934 | KO: 18:30


Alloa Outplayed in Second Meeting.

In the Dewar Shield semi-final re-play at Pittodrie last night, Alloa were outplayed by Aberdeen, who ran out winners by three goals to nil. The Dona led 2-0 at the interval, and a third goal shortly after the resumption settled the issue, the homesters taking things easily after this.
Smith, Cooper and McGill had an easy task, the Alloa forwards effectively held by Fraser, Falloon and Thomson, all of whom played well.
In attack, Warnock showed to advantage. He was a hard worker, and time and again he let either Armstrong or Johnston away. Mills and Spittal combined well, and the outside-left took the eye on several occasions with smart trapping of the ball, followed by a fine drive for goal.
For Alloa, Muir did well in goal, although he should have prevented Aberdeen's second goal. Clark and Kerr were strong backs, while Polland was the best of the half-back line. Of the forwards, Bell was best, although Guthrie showed to advantage on occasion.

Aberdeen Pressure.

Aberdeen forced the pace at the outset, and Muir dealt confidently with tries by Johnston and Warnock. The 'keeper later distinguished himself with saves from Armstrong and Spittal.
In an Alloa counter-attack, Smith was beaten by a ball from Guthrie, but the ball just went past. Later, Bell got clean through, but his parting effort lacked sting.
Twenty-five minutes after the kick-off, Johnston headed to Warnock for the latter to smash the ball into the net from the edge of the penalty area.
The inside-right had another good try which went inches past. In an Alloa raid a Guthrie- Bell movement ended with the latter testing Smith with a fierce drive.
Falloon and Bell were hurt when jumping to head the ball, but they resumed after attention. Alloa were more in the limelight towards the interval, and Shankly and Bell tested Smith.
At the other end, Spittal sent across for Armstrong to head towards goal. Warnock slipped through to Armstrong, but the centre missed an easy chance.
Ten minutes from the interval Muir failed to hold an Armstrong drive, and Mills had nothing to do but tap the ball into the net.

Spectators Seek Shelter.

Torrential rain fell during the second half, and spectators on the shilling side made a rush for the comfort of the partly-completed shelter. Aberdeen were on top from the re-start and fifteen minutes had gone when Armstrong first-timed a ball from Johnston into the net. Mills let Spittal away, and the Fife boy sent in great drive which Muir was glad to tip over.
Then in an Alloa raid, a lob by Richardson struck the bar and dropped, but Bell failed to score. Alloa were granted a penalty for hands, but Richardson shot over.
Mills caused Muir to go full-length for fast drive, and as the ball rebounded from the 'keeper's body, Johnston banged it against the bar.
Aberdeen had the game well in hand now, and the forwards indulged in some fine passing movements. There was a crowd of about 2500.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th August 1934

Alloa Athletic Teamsheet
Muir; Clark, Kerr; Richardson, Irvine, Polland; Shankly, Wallace, Bell, Guthrie, Nicholson.
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J.F.Yeaman, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride