Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Celtic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: O'Hagan, Lennie.
Celtic scorers: Somers, Orr (pen)

02/03/1907 | KO:

At Aberdeen before 7000 spectators. Excepting McLeod and Young, Celtic were at full strength. Aberdeen made several alterations with a view to strengthening their team. The pace was extremely fast at the start, Aberdeen being first to test the goalkeeper. Then by pretty play Celtic confined the play to the other end and opened the scoring. Gradually the home side got more of the play, and it was only their due when Aberdeen equalised by O'Hagan. Crossing over level the home side started strongly, and Lennie soon have them the lead. The Celts defended bravely, and then a "penalty" off Brebner let them get on even terms. Aberdeen were the better team in the second half. Result:-Two goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th March 1907

The visit of the league leaders to Pittodrie on Saturday attracted a large crowd of spectators, many coming with the Irish team from Glasgow, hand in anticipations of a great game they were not disappointed, for it is safe to say at the match was easily the most interesting that has been witnessed at Pittodrie for many a day. The Celts were not at full strength, but this defect was counterbalanced by the fact that the Aberdeen front rank was quite an experimental one, with the exception of the left wing. There were about 8000 present when Mr. Jackson, Glasgow, lined the teams up in the following order:-

Celtic: Adams; Gray, Orr; Hay, Wilson, Mitchell; Templeton, McMenemy, Bennett, Somers, Hamilton.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Brebner; Halkett, H. Low, W. Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Wilson, O'Hagan, Lennie.

From the very opening it was apparent that the game was to be a hot one, the ball traveling from end to end with great rapidity. Aberdeen seemed determined, and Lennie made a great sprint along the wing, finishing with a direct cross in front of Adams, but before the home forwards had got up, Orr had the lines clear, but not sufficiently to prevent a warm exchange in close proximity to the Irish goal, from which Wilson sent in a lovely drive. The custodian, however, was on the Qui Vive, and affected a creditable save. With remarkable rapidity, Bennett and his wings transfer the venue, but once more the tide turned, and Lennie raced along, finishing with a fine effort which just scraped over the bar, while a few minutes later, this performance was emulated by Macdonald, whose cross was snapped in time by the goalkeeper to prevent Lennie getting in his touch. Templeton was a thorn in the side of the home defence, while Hamilton was also a difficult subject. The Celts were extremely dangerous at close range, and their clever footwork at short passing seemed to upset the Aberdeen defence. The Pittodrie lot were having fully the lesser part of the game at this stage, and through a bit of muddling between the backs and Wilfred Low, following a fine centre from Middleton, Somers was left uncovered in a good position, from which he netted with an unsuitable shot, Macfarlane making a most creditable effort to avert disaster. Celtic certainly looked like a leading Aberdeen a merry dance, their work in the outfield being infinitely superior to that of the local men, but as time drew on, there was an improvement. O'Hagan seemed to be particularly fresh after his international experiences, and he was the outstanding man in the home front rank, and his cute movements in every conceivable position completely upset the calculations of the Celtic defence. A pass from his foot to Halkett almost lead Aberdeen in, from when the sphere was returned to Lenny, the latter's shot required all Gray's ingenuity to clear. Once more the Celts assumed the aggressive, and so severe was the pressure that the downfall of the Aberdeen goal was looked for every moment, but luckily Macfarlane was in great form, and saved brilliantly three times in the space of about a minute, a performance which almost drove home crowd frantic with enthusiasm. Any of these three shots might have been excused had Rab succumbed, and his Herculean effort appeared to have a great effect upon his clubmates, for they settled down into a fast, long-passing game, which gave the Irish men so much running that they seem to show signs of tiring. Templeton, who showed a tendency to overdo the tricky work at times, was cry chili taken in hand by Wilfred Low, and on the other wing Halkett was doing good service, but yet once more Macfarlane's charge had a narrow escape. Bennett got clean through the defence, and the local keeper did the only thing possible under the circumstances. He ran out to block Bennett's direct progress, and the Irish pivot, in tipping past Rab, gave the ball rather too much force, with the result that it rolled past the uprights before he could follow it up and directed into the net. The home forwards gradually took more and more of the game, and showed remarkable cleverness, and Macdonald and Simpson were even more prominent than the experienced left wing, and the former's sprinting along the wing, tricky outwitting of the defence, and accurate centering being a pretty feature of the game. On the other wing a strict watch was kept on O'Hagan and Lennie, and consequently the former showed his wisdom by working in words. Several good runs by the Celts were nullified by Bennett, who was rather inclined to lie offside. At last the equaliser came to Aberdeen to a nice bit of play among the forwards, which resulted in O'Hagan getting the ball, and after he had cleverly manoeuvred round Orr, he drove with terrific force right into the top corner of the net. The scene of enthusiasm round the ropes was now a tremendous, and increased every minute as the local lot became more energetic. The strangers were now behind the Aberdeen end play, but there were many exciting moments at both ends, in which the custodians and defence on each side showed great form, although in one or two instances there were turns of bad shooting from advantageous positions.

In the second period Aberdeen took the game in hand, and as it progressed a practical eight played the Celtic to a standstill. Macdonald shot past, and then, after a lightning transference to the other end, Macfarlane was called upon twice to negotiate difficult shots, but he rose to every occasion, and again Aberdeen sped to wards Adams. A desperate scrimmage ensued, with the ball bobbing in front of the goalline in the most tantalising fashion until Simpson put an end to the siege by placing behind. The home halves had now the mastery of the Celtic man, and blocked every attempt at combination beautifully, at the same time distributing well to their own forwards. Macdonald nipped past the opposing half, and centred to Wilson, who got the ball in the net, but an offside ruling was given. Celtic had another turn for the leading point, and it required smart work by Wilfred Low to prevent them attaining their object. Macfarlane was down, and in an instant the ball would have crossed the line, but Low came on it like a whirlwind, and a great cheer rose as the ball soared well up the field, and into safety. Henry Low had to kick over the line and concede a corner to relieve the pressure at one time, and then again Bennett threw away a glorious chance by shooting wide of the mark. Simpson and Macdonald operated well, and from their work O'Hagan gave Lennie the ball at his foot, about 6 yards out, but the little winger recorded a blank, for he shot high. Macdonald was playing a great game, and from another of his flashing crosses, Wilson got his head on the ball and almost beat Adams. Aberdeen worked hard for the leading point, and certainly deserved it, and when the referee awarded a goal kick to the Celts after Adams had fisted over the bar a hot shot from Lennie, considerable feeling was rows to among the crowd. However, it was no time before Aberdeen were back in their old position, and a grand sprint by Macdonald resulted in Aberdeen being placed a goal up. The outside right carried the ball well up and centred to Wilson. The pivot missed, but Lennie, ever on the alert, was behind, and gave Adams a shot which could only have been saved by a medical. After this the local supporters were in high glee, but they soon had reason to feel annoyed at the decisions of the referee, for they were none too satisfactory, had a terrible shout arose when Mr. Jackson awarded the Celts a penalty for an infringement by Brebner, which was purely accidental and not likely to have the slightest bearing on the game. The back was coming round with the ball, yards from anyone, when it bounced against his arm. Of course, the result was inevitable, and once more Aberdeen had to work for the lead. More dissatisfaction was to come yet. The pressure by the homesters did not fall away a bit. Following upon a shot from O'Hagan, Adams foozled, and the inside man van in and drove home, but Mr. Jackson refused a point on the ground that the keeper had been fouled. After more exciting work, Macdonald lead the way towards Adams again, and a weak return to Simpson was made by the custodian. Wilson was close at hand, and finished the assault by placing the ball in the net. No one dreamt that exception could be taken to this point, but the referee, much to the astonishment of everyone, including a few of the Celtic players, ruled offside. The anger of the crowd and threatened to go beyond bounds at this stage, as the goal was palpable as clean and legitimate as one could desire. The remainder of the match was fought out amid great excitement, and even though no further scoring took place, the ruffled feelings of the home following had not yet died down. There was no active display of hostility to wards Mr. Jackson, however, and when the whistle sounded time the score stood - Aberdeen, 2; Celtic, 2.

The drawings amounted to £230 2s.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 4th March 1907

A Thrilling Game.

Ideal conditions prevailed at Pittodrie on Saturday when Aberdeen and Celtic took the field to play their return League fixture. The crowd were rolling in when, five minutes after the advertised time of starting, the home side got away, Wilson making Adam's fingers tingle with a hot shot, within a minute of the kick-off. Fast was the pace and faster it grew, the ball travelling at a great rate from. end to end. The fast, dribbling blocked, and quick returns at both ends kept the spectators enthralled with excitement: Ten minutes after the start Celtic's front rank put in a lot of splendid work, several corners in rapid succession falling to them, and then from a run by Hamilton, Somers beat Macfarlane with a grand drive This only led to further exciting incidents, and that both goals did not fall was due, more to luck than anything else. Macdonald had been doing some tricky things on the wing, but Orr was just a trifle too wide awake for him. However, the home right winger got well away, and instead of trying Orr again he slipped to Simpson, who crossed to O'Hagan, and the latter. beat Adams with an unsavable shot. The visitors slowed down a bit after this, and Aberdeen taking full advantage kept up a hot siege on the defence, Adams saving several times single-handed when goals seemed certain. Bennett had a great run; Macfarlane, charging out, missed the ball but impeded the player, and the sphere went past the post before he could get at it. It was a near thing, but Aberdeen- kept the upper hand till half-time came. Aberdeen began as they had left off, going for all they were worth towards the Celtic goal. Corners galore came their way, Orr saving many good ones, while Adams was as frisky behind. Lennie capped a great run by beating Adams all the way with a truly magnificent run, the ball leaving his foot with plenty of pith behind it. Celts were getting more than they bargained for, and it was a bit of downright stupidity that let them equalise. Boyle fouled Bennett, and from the free kick the ball was kicked on to Brebner's arm. To the consternation of everybody the referee gave a penalty and Orr made sure of a goal, Macfarlane very nearly holding it. Aberdeen were away again on the top of the Celts and from a melee Adams presented O'Hagan. with a grand chance which he accepted, but the referee ruled offsides. Immediately after Simpson landed a beauty in the net, and again it was nullified for the same infringement, which nobody could see. The crowd went nearly mad at this as time was wearing on, and the home had their opponents almost run off their feet. The whistle sounded with the referee's award two goals each, but the spectators evinced their displeasure in no uncertain tone. The officials were prepared for any interference by the spectators, and except for a demonstration by a few of the most excited there was no serious scene at the finish. For a game which was so full of excitement, the crowd took their way out of the grounds in good, order, and showed their spirit of true sportmanship, however mad they felt at their team being spoiled of a victory by the two goals chalked off.

A Review of the Game.

Certainly not this season have Aberdeen risen to the occasion like what they did on Saturday. Not all the class men money can buy could have done better, or given a cleverer exhibition than was given against the Celts. Aberdeen simply revelled in their work, and the two points which belonged to them were only made one through no fault of theirs. It was the first time that O'Hagan got a fair chance of showing his foot and head work at Pittodrie, and he would be classed a poor judge who was dissat¬isfied with the new comer's display. Nor could very much be said against any of the home men on Saturday. There were mistakes, but they were few and far between, most of them being covered up. But what was most apparent to us was the enthusiasm they put into their work, even against the odds put on to them. Hitherto, when a goal down they seemed to lose heart, but on Saturday the more that was done against them the more virile was their play. It was a great game, and everybody went away pleased with the value they got for their money except in the case of the referee, who was more off colour in his decisions than the players were in play. For the Celts, Hamilton, Bennett, and Somers caught the eye most. Templeton seldom got away as we have seen him do, Wolfie Low keeping a watchful eye on the Celt all the time. Orr was the pick of the defence while Adams proved most reliable in goal. The gate drawings amounted to over £230 all in.

Chatty Bits.

Charlie O'Hagan signalised his reappearance from Interna¬tional affairs by scoring a lovely goal.
His interpretation of the one disallowed is that he got the ball from Adams and scored, and could not be possibly off-side, while he did not impede him in any way, as we thought.
It was the general impression that Adams had been impeded, and that was the reason for the goal being disallowed.
In all our experience we never saw a crowd angrier than they were at the referee for disallowing Simpson's score.
The officials had an anxious time till they saw the referee off by a different route that the Celts took.
Not this season have the spectators been offered such a treat as they got on Saturday. There was not a dull moment during the whole ninety minutes.
Those who expected the Celts to romp home easy victors got a disappointment.
For once in a while Aberdeen's goal escaped twice when Macfarlane had left. it. Seldom has this occurred to Rah this season. There was little of the playing to the gallery on Saturday. Rab clearing in his best form is worth looking at, while he almost got on the ball at the penalty.
Billy Brebner could not be blamed for the ball striking his arm, but it was his attitude which made the referee think he struck it. In any case, nine times out of ten the offence would have been overlooked.
He did not see a more glaring one committed by Cray.
Once Henry Low got into Bennett's ways the centre got little scope to dash away.
Bennett is a little flier if he gets room, and early in the game he was the most prominent on the Celtic side.
Hamilton was most in evidence during the second period.
It was a foul off Boyle who back-charged Bennett, that led to the Celts' second goal.
Lennie was as smart as ever on Saturday and gave Gray the slip easily. He had bad luck several times.
When Adams tipped over the bar one great shot and a goal kick was given, the crowd went frantic.
The goal which the left winger ultimately got was of the unsavable sort, and which lie alone can get.
Macdonald, while not so fleet, has a lot of tricks in eluding an opponent, while his crosses are very accurate.
Simpson played extremely well for a first appearance with his partner, and can improve on what he did with more experience.
All the half-backs were in great shooting form. Halket had some nice drives toward goal, while his covering up when danger appeared was always well-timed.
We should see another great game this week at Pittodrie.
The gatemen and checkers hold their "annual at home" in the pavilion to-morrow night.
On Tuesday the Aberdeenshire Cup and badges will be presented in the Bon Accord Hotel.
Aberdeen have now fixed the Hearts for their return League fixture at Tynecastle on the Edinburgh holiday next month. This should be a paying one.
The Salvation Army should have made a good collection at Pittodrie on Saturday. They had the biggest crowd of the season to deal with.
Ward will not be fit for play this.week yet, and will require to give his ankle a longer rest.
It is gratifying to find that Edgar will be fit to play in either of the elevens this week, if selected.
The A's expected to take away a point at Brechin, but the forwards could do nothing right.
We have often urged that Aberdeen had hard luck and the referee against them when away, but the home crowd got proof for assertions on Saturday.
Were we to print a tenth of what we heard about that gentlemen we should be in for a libel suit sure.
It would be a good idea for the letter to the editor Writers to send up their epistles to the League secretary, so that he might bring them before his committee to consider.
We do not know if the Aberdeen will take any action in the matter, but there is certainly room for objection in some way.

Source: Bon-Accord, 7th March 1907

Celtic Teamsheet
Adams; Gray, Orr; Hay, Wilson, Mitchell; Templeton, McMenemy, Bennett, Somers, Hamilton
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Jackson, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen