Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Wilson, O'Hagan.

23/03/1907 | KO:

The Aberdeen team traveled to Airdrie to clear their return League game. When the teams met that Aberdeen the result was a draw, no goals being scored. The weather on Saturday was good, and the turf was in firm condition. There were about 2000 spectators when the teams lined up as follows:-

Airdrie: Duncan; Davidson, Rombach; Hunter, O'Rorke, Findlay; Currie, Thompson, Graham, Anderson, Dargue.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, H. Low, W. Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Wilson, O'Hagan, Lennie.

Five minutes after the start Lennie put in a fine centre, which Wilson converted with a grand shot. Airdrie pressed, and only brilliant saving by Macfarlane kept them out. The ground and ball rendered play fast, and there was not much to choose between the sides, albeit most chances fell to the Airdrie team. The Aberdeen forwards were very clever, the left wing being specially good, and Davidson had a warm time keeping them out. Airdrie's play lacked sting, and the many changes had not made for improvement. Indeed, the forwards could do nothing right. Wilfred Low Fairlie accounted for the Airdrie's right wing, who were seldom in the danger zone. Macdonald, on the Aberdeen right, was always a dangerous customer, and nearing half-time would probably have scored but that Davidson rushed across the field, and just managed to nip the ball away. O'Rorke in his new role played a good game. Aberdeen had hard lines. Twice in the last 5 minutes of the first half Duncan alone foiled them by saving grand shots from Wilson and O'Hagan from just under the bar.

up Airdrie started the second half well, but their efforts were of no avail, as the Aberdeen defence was too strong and sound. Gault miskicked, and for a time things looked dangerous for Aberdeen. Airdrie gained several corners in rapid succession, which were neatly taken by Findlay, but were quite ineffective. Dargue had a fine run on the left. He ran right through the defence, with Halkett and Gault in attendance, and both collapsed in saving from his attack. Twenty minutes passed, and the game was slow and uninteresting, when Airdrie put some life into it by a find combined attack. Aberdeen then returned, and O'Hagan passing to Lenny, the outside left carried the ball well forward, cleverly beating Davidson. Lennie then passed to O'Hagan, who, with a fine shot, scored a second goal. Davidson had now Fairlie lost his temper through being beaten time and again by Lennie, and the referee had a few strong words to say to Davidson. Dargue, who was being well served by his half-backs, put in some rocket-like shots, which went past and crossed over the bar by inches. Thirty-five minutes from the start Aberdeen had a hot time of it, but finally their ground defensive work prevailed. The play that followed was of a give-and-take quality, and with Aberdeen pressing at the end, they ran out winners of a very good game. Gate, £71.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th March 1907

A Great Performance.

Everything looked spick and span when the teams took the field at Airdrie on Saturday - the only thing wanting being spectators, of whom only some 3000 put in an appearance. Those who were absent missed a treat, for it was admitted that a faster, cleaner game had not been seen within the enclosure this season. Out came the home team first, followed by the Aberdonians, and the former winning the toss set our lads to face a strong sun, which was troublesome to the defence. Wilson set the ball away, and in a twinkling Duncan had to clear an express shot from Lennie. So early and easy were Aberdeen moving that the 'Onians looked nonplussed at the confidence in their play. All over the home side the north men carried the ball, and it was only a matter of time, and a very short time too, before Wilson had the ball in the net well out of Duncan's reach. Davidson was none too well pleased at Lennie giving him the slip so often, and he brought the ire of the crowd down on him when he threw himself heavily at the left-winger, who got him neatly on his shoulder and let him slip. This fairly roused the back, and if he could not stop Lennie by fair means, he did not hesitate to use other tricks. With a decent bit of luck Aberdeen ought to have had another couple of goals, Duncan saving miraculously from O'Hagan and Wilson, while Macdonald sent across several excellent crosses. By several bursts at the opening, by sheer weight, the 'Onians gave Macfarlane a few hot ones, but Rab wasn't having any; high or low, he scooped them out all alike. Aberdeen then took the game in hand, and till the very finish looked, and proved to be, the winners on real good play. In fifteen minutes after the restart O'Hagan sent in a shot which Duncan had no earthly chance with. Aberdeen were top dogs till the end, and deserved their 2-0 victory.

The Players.

The whole Aberdeen side were out in their best trim on Saturday. It would be difficult to say who was the poorest man on this side, or who was the best, so well did they all play in unison. Macfarlane, Boyle, and Gault proved quite capable of stopping all the attacks made on them, and the intermediate line had a difficult task to keep the heavy weights in check, but were successful to a degree. All the forwards were good, having an exceptionally heavy brigade to charge down before they got there. On the home side the halves were the weakest; their kicking was rash and devoid of method. The backs and goalkeeper were class, but for the attention Davidson paid to Lennie, who got severely reprimanded by the referee for it. The forwards never got settled down, because the visiting halves wouldn't let them.

Chatty Bits.

Airdrie lost two points on Saturday which they had confidently counted on gaining.
Aberdeen have made another net gain on last season's performance, as they did not get a point from Airdrie, whereas they have three points for this season's encounters.
Just now the forward line is moving in fine style, and the pity is that the weather proved so bad at the New Year time, which robbed them of many points.
They are making up for lost time, and completely upsetting all the nasty things said about them.
It was a good thing that Duncan did not lose his temper on Saturday, like some of the others, or he would have had a few more goals against him. He was kept busy for some time.
The half-time result, when it went up on "Bon's" hoard at Pittodrie, was the means of drawing forth loud cheers.
A home fixture just now would please the local supporters immensely.
We are glad to see that some matches are to be played on Wednesdays, and give the shopkeepers an opportunity of seeing a game.
The A team were not up to last year's form in the Kirkcaldy match on Saturday.
The front line was exceptionally poor - not one could be said to be better than another - while they were all afraid to go in on Nelson and Birrell.
The halves were the mainstay of the team, and but for their fine play they would have been hopelessly beaten.
Wilson will be absent from the first line this week, as he has to sit an examination. We wish him luck.
If he gets through in time he will more than likely have a game with the A team.

Source: Bon-Accord, 28th March 1907

Airdrie Teamsheet
Duncan; Davidson, Rombach; Hunter, O'Rorke, Findlay; Currie, Thompson, Graham, Anderson, Dargue
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen