Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Celtic

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McDonald, McDonald.
Celtic scorers: Quinn

23/09/1907 | KO:

At Pittodrie yesterday, in presence of 6000 spectators. Play was very fast for the first fifteen minutes, Aberdeen holding their own. Macdonald opened the scoring after a splendid run by Lennie and O'Hagan. Celtic retaliated immediately with a goal got through Quinn. The pace was fast after this, but, after some manoeuvring, in which the left wing was conspicuous, Macdonald beat Macleod with another great shot. This was all the scoring in the first half, which ended 2-1 in favour of Aberdeen. The second half was rather slower, both teams suffering from the effects of the first half. Celtic pressed very hard for a time but Aberdeen, towards the finish, woke up, and held their own. No further scoring took place and the game ended in favour of Aberdeen by two goals to one. This is Celtic's first defeat in the League.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th September 1907

Aberdeen entertained Celtic at Pittodrie yesterday in a Scottish League engagement, and in view of the local team's succession of defeats, great interest was evinced in the event, the crowd that assembled within the enclosure numbering between 8000 and 9000. Fortunately the weather was ideal, so that the game was witnessed under the most pleasant conditions from every point of view. Mr. Murray, Stenhousemuir, lined the teams up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; Mcintosh, Halkett, Low; Macdonald, Muir, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Celtic: Adams; Orr, Weir; Mitchell, Lonie, Hay; Bennett, McMenemy, Quinn, Somers, Hamilton.

Although Celtic had to face a strong sun at the start, they immediately made tracks for Macfarlane, and a neat cross from Quinn to Hamilton proper corner, which, however, proved fruitless. It was seen, even at this early stage, but the game was to be a hard one, and a tremendous ovation greeted smart work by the local front line, which carried the ball into Celtic Territory. Both wings were moving well and O'Hagan and Lennie seemed disposed to dispense with their "showy" work, evidently realising that practical play was essential to success on this occasion. The tactics of this player showed a welcome change in the direction indicated, and O'Hagan did some brilliant work, especially when guiding the ball to his partner. Macdonald and Muir did not compare favourably with their confreres on the left wing, but the outside man frequently got in some neat work. There was little to choose between the teams, Aberdeen, if anything, giving fully more than they got. Tremendous excitement reigned while Aberdeen made a determined attack on Adams through the left wing. Lennie was on the top of his form, and raced up the wing, but was outwitted by Orr. Again the little winger flew along the margin of the field, and on this occasion he crossed beautifully to the opposite wing, where Muir tried a good header. O'Hagan had a good shot too, but Adams got the ball on the line and cleared. Clever work was shown by the Irishmen, one but the opposing halves were effective, the presence of Low doing much to balance the division. Colman and Hume, too, appeared to be on their mettle, and even the great Quinn found it difficult to get in a try, most of the attacking being done from the wings. At last Quinn flashed into prominence, and it was a near thing for the Pittodrie men. The famous centre worked the ball round the back, and, like a flash, had it flying towards Macfarlane, only his direction of the sphere was faulty. It had been a hard game so far, full of incident and excitement, but there was a slight lull as the players on both sides settled down to the task. Halkett and Hume were both strong in repelling the Celts' attack, but the former miskicked and almost exposed his citadel to danger. Quinn got past and crossed to Hamilton, who squared beautifully; but Low got his foot in and cleared nicely. Round again the game and veered to Adams's end, and a strong, long shot from Wilfred Low on the left, which tested the custodian, was received with a great ovation. Adams's clearance was only partial, however, and Macdonald almost found the mark. Then Hamilton raced down the wing like a deer, but was pulled up for offside. A foul at close range almost lead Aberdeen down, but Macfarlane fisted out. At this stage there was seen one of the most brilliant expositions of football witnessed at Pittodrie for many a day. O'Hagan and Lennie were responsible for it. The former got the ball about the Aberdeen penalty line, and, with a series of exchanges between him and Lennie, recently flew up the field. Orr chipped in and almost dispossessed O'Hagan, but Lennie got onto the sphere and sent in a lovely square cross, which Macdonald literally dived at with his head and had scored before Adams knew what had happened. It was a great piece of work, and fully merited the point that brought. Of course the Celtic based upon this reverse, and for a time the local defenders had a hard time of it. Hamilton got a free run on the left, and following upon a nice cross Mitchell got possession, and sent in a shot which beat Macfarlane completely. Fortunately the ball struck the off post and was cleared. Once more Lennie proved himself a hero, and on this occasion his effort was absolutely unsupported. Indeed support and did not seem to be necessary, for the little man raced up the field, dashing through ever think, and shot hard, although just a little off the mark. Celtic got the equaliser in a surprising fashion. Three of the front line were bunched in front of Macfarlane, and Quinn getting his foot in sent in a low swift shot, which the keeper never saw. More sensation followed, and Lennie was again responsible. His play was little short of marvellous, and he finished an exciting solo run with a good try for goal. Adams stopped the shot, but Macdonald was at the corner of the goal, and guided the ball into the net. There was a great amount of hard play up till half-time, but no further scoring took place.

There was little excitement in the opening stages of the second half, except a corner against Aberdeen, which proved unproductive. Play rolled for a time in Aberdeen Territory, but it was mostly of a quiet nature, until Lennie got off on a run. He diddled Orr prettily, and with both backs in close attendants carried the sphere well in. The shot was a stinger, but Adams came down on his knees, and fisted out. O'Hagan had a glorious a opportunity if he had taken the rebound, but the chance went abegging, and the Celtic work their way seaward again. Lonie sent in a fine high shot which Macfarlane caught under the bar, and was promptly heaved into the net by Quinn. Of course of foul was awarded, and from the kick Lennie rushed off with Orr and Mitchell pounding at his side. Despite the odds against him, the winger got in a pretty cross, which Murray headed past. The same thing was repeated a minute later, and once more the pivot missed directed with his head. Adams got badly winded by Macdonald, but was able to resume. Following a brief attack on the Aberdeen defence, Macdonald forced a corner, which came to naught, while at the other end Hay spoiled some good work with a wild kick behind. The Aberdeen right wing was not quite so much in prominence, probably because they got less of the game, but Lennie maintained his great form, and on one occasion proved so smart for Orr that he left the back lying on the field. For a time Celtic looked like getting the upper hand, and they lay down on Macfarlane in dangerous fashion, while occasional hot shots were sent in. Somers had a strong shot, which Macfarlane returned, and following upon this there was a regular hack in the home goal, in the midst of which Rab effected a brilliant save from Hamilton. Aberdeen had to confine their efforts mostly to defensive work, seldom getting out of their own ground. While the pressure was at its fiercest, Macfarlane was seen to turn an artistic cartwheel after coming into violent contact with the barley Quinn. Lennie had another run on his own, but Murray made a mess of the cross, and then again a similar effort on the left wing was spoiled by O'Hagan getting off side. It was now only a matter of minutes till time, and excitement was at a high pitch till the whistle sounded, declaring Aberdeen victors by the odd goal.

The gate amounted to £200, and the stands to £40.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 24th September 1907

Aberdeen lead the way.

After their display at Dens Park on Saturday there was a quiet confidence amongst the players of the Aberdeen that they could do better, now that they had got into their stride. The crowd was a typical holiday one, numbering close on 8000, when the teams took the field. A fine athletic looking lot those Celts are, just the build for a hard, rousing game, and the conditions on Monday were favourable for such. Nimble and fleet were the Aberdonians in comparison when the sphere was set agoing. Lennie raised great hopes amongst the local supporters when he beat Hay and Orr with ease and centred accurately, but the ball was got behind without danger resulting. By the way, we should mention that there were two alterations in the Aberdeen team, while the Celts were reported at full strength, with the exception of Templeton and Young. Mackintosh relieved Stewart Davidson at half, while Wilson had to stand down owing to injuries at Dundee, Macdonald going on at outside right, and Tom Murray at centre forward. Halket stuck to Quinn like a leech, getting in front in the nick of time to prevent the Celt from having full force behind his shot. The pace was terrific at times, and great was the jubilation of the crowd when Lennie shot ahead with O'Hagan in attendance, parting to each other with perfect precision. The cross was well met by Macdonald, who had the ball in the net before McLeod knew where he was. There was no lying down with the Celts, and an adroit movement by the inside men let Quinn get the necessary momentum on the ball, which passed Macfarlane on the wrong side. Still another for Aberdeen, Macdonald doing the needful, and at half-time the locals were pressing for more. Aberdeen resumed briskly, a topper from Macdonald causing the Celt's custodian some trouble. A corner or two proved fruitless to the home side, and then the Celts demonstrated that they were an impor¬tant factor in the play, plying Macfarlane with some terrific shots. Coleman and Hume put in some great work, clearing in fine style, while the halves stuck in as hard as they could. The only fault to be found with Aberdeen occurred at this time, when they indulged in unnecessary kicking out. It would have paid them better to have kept the ball in and peppered away at McLeod. MacDonald had one brilliant run which ended in his being unceremoniously pulled down inside the line, but the referee had a knack of not seeing anything serious inside the line. A desperate attack was made by Quinn and his men to equalise, but without effect, a great game ending 2-1 in favour of Aberdeen.

Amongst the Players.

Never has a revival in form come so opportunely as the present turn which Aberdeen took on Saturday and Monday. The Celts would have liked it otherwise, and would have been pleased with a draw. As a whole, the Celts gave a fine display. Orr found Lennie a big thorn in his side, the little man tricking him too often to his liking. It was here where the Celt's weakness lay, while the hales punted too strong for the forwards, who could not reach the ball in time. All the forwards worked hard, but some of their shooting was wild at times. Lennie was the star of the home side, with O'Hagan, Macdonald, Murray, and Muir following close up. W. Low and Halket were in top form at half, while Macintosh was Clever and has the makings of a half. Colman and Hume, though never brilliant were always sure, and put in good work. "Rab" was in the mood for work and did it to perfection.

Chatty Bits.

The Aberdeen directors have been wearing a ten foot broad smile this week. Their dejected look has disappeared, and quite a jaunty air is to be seen on these much-abused officials.
At last the team has touched its form, and there is rejoicing in the camp once more.
"Old Internationalist" appears on the scene once more, but his remarks seem to have fallen flat, and are a little belated in appearance.
It's a strange world this. Only a week or so ago these players were hooted and yelled at with derision. On Monday they were applauded to the skies.
One player we know asserted that the players, as a body, were more dejected at their want of success than the spectators were, because they were triers all the time.
It says a lot for Trainer Simpson's methods that he could turn out his men so fit after the punishing game they had at Dundee.
Aberdeen would not have minded the penalty at Dens Park so much, but thought they were due one also.
Without unduly touching W. Low's play, he had a very steadying influence on the play.
There is no gainsaying the fact that he has made the left wing go better together than we have seen them this season.
Macdonald, who has been somewhat disappointing this season, came away very strong on Monday.
We are sorry to hear that J. J. Simpson is still suffering from his injury, and will be out of the team for another week.
Wilson and R. Simpson are both on the injured list, but are progressing rapidly and expect to be fit again this week.
The Celts spent the week-end at Muchalls and came on to Aberdeen on Monday forenoon.
While they expected to have a hard run for victory they never counted on defeat.
This is the first reverse they have suffered this season, and they did not altogether relish it, though they took it like sportsmen.
Till a collapse occurs again all the failures of the Aberdeen will be forgotten for the time being.
All the same, it was a great achievement, and has been a long time in coming, for Aberdeen deserved to win on the last two occasions the Celts were at Pittodrie.
The gate on Monday totalled £204 all in.
If the team stick in there is plenty of time to make up the leeway lost.
The A team will have to buck up - a 6-2 defeat is not their true form. They complain bitterly of the pitch they played on.
Over the Celtic match we hear there is a hatter who has a big order for headgear this week.

Source: Bon-Accord, 26th September 1907

Celtic Teamsheet
Adams; Orr, Weir; Mitchell, Lonie, Hay; Bennett, McMenemy, Quinn, Somers, Hamilton
Attendance: 9,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride