Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Murray.
Third Lanark scorers: Tarbet

19/10/1907 | KO: 15:30

At Aberdeen, before 5000 spectators. Aberdeen had easily the best of play in the first half, but missed several grand chances of scoring. In the second half the pace was much faster, Third Lanark taking a firmer grip of the game. Aberdeen scored first through Murray, and shortly before the finish Tarbet equalised through a mistake on the part of Low. Aberdeen tried hard for the leading goal, but failed. Result:- One goal each.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st October 1907

Aberdeen met Third Lanark in a Scottish League fixture at Pittodrie on Saturday. The pitch was in excellent condition, the heavy rainfall during the week having had little or no effect on the ground. At 3:30 the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; McIntosh, Halkett, W. Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Third Lanark: Brownlie; Hill, McQuaker; McIntosh, Sloan, Ferguson; Cross, Gilchrist, Fairfoul, Tarbet, McFarlane.
Referee - Mr. Edward, Glasgow.

The Third Lanark won the toss, and took advantage of a slight wind, while they also had the sun at their back. The opening exchanges favored the visitors, but Colman soon transfer to play to the other end. Lennie and O'Hagan were prominent in leading the attack for Aberdeen. Hill relieved, sending the ball well up the field in the direction of Cross, who was tackled by Hume. The first corner in the game fell to Third Lanark. Macfarlane cleared, and Murray broke away in the centre. Macdonald picked up a pass on the right wing, but subsequently crossed to the left. Lennie had a good try for goal, his parting shots skimming the crossbar. So far Aberdeen had done remarkably well, even although playing against the wind and sun. Play was mainly confined to the Aberdeen left wing, Lennie and O'Hagan being noticeable for some clever work. The inside left had hard luck when he made a fine effort to open the scoring for his side. He shot with great force at close range, but Hill got in the way of the ball, which struck the right back on the foot. Playing with plenty of spirit, Aberdeen hemmed in their opponents, and from a corner Murray almost scored with a header. The Third Lanark could make little headway against Aberdeen's defence, Colman and Hume being very safe, while Halkett got through a lot of useful work at centre half. There was nothing particularly deadly in the shooting of the Third's forwards. Sloan forced the game for his side, and frequently tried a shot on his own account, but for the most part Macfarlane had a comparatively easy time. Indeed, Brownlie had the most difficult shots to deal with. There was plenty of big kicking on both sides, but the quality of the football seldom reached a high standard. A surprise shot from Gilchrist was cleared by Macfarlane. Simpson almost got through for Aberdeen, is shot being blocked by McQuaker. Lennie got the better of three opponents near midfield, and that once made off in the direction of Brownlie. The left winger crossed beautifully in front of goal, and it seemed any odds on Aberdeen opening the scoring. Brownlie, however, rushed out and cleared. The game went greatly in favour of Aberdeen, and the Third Lanark goal ran several narrow escapes. At the other end, however, Colman saved an almost certain goal when he headed out a shot from the left, while a minute later he tackled Fairfoul when the Third Lanark centre was bearing down on Macfarlane. Cross lead the way in a dangerous run by the visiting forwards, but Hume and Low to checked any attempt at scoring. A high shot from the Third's left winger was finely saved by Macfarlane, and just as the whistle sounded for half-time O'Hagan sent in a capital shot, which Brownlie saved almost on the crossbar.

The second half was not long in progress when it became evident that the visitors were determined to open the scoring. They kept Aberdeen strictly on the defensive, and so severe was the pressure but few would have been surprised had the Cathkin team been a goal up in the first 10 minutes. Macfarlane (outside left) was particularly good in his centring, and when Colman and Hume were unable to get the ball away, following upon a shot from the left, Aberdeen were indebted to Halkett were really brilliant clearance. The home team could not shake off the persistent attacks of Gilchrist, Fairfoul, and Macfarlane, while Lanark backs rarely allowed the Aberdeen forwards to cross midfield. Twice Macfarlane got the ball away in clever fashion, and two corners to the Cathkin team were successfully cleared by the Aberdeen goalkeeper. The local players fell away greatly, and Low almost gave away a goal in attempting a "fancy" kick almost under the crossbar. After 25 minutes' play in the second half Aberdeen got the first goal of the match. They had the worst of the game up to this stage, but a long pass from Simpson to Macdonald enabled the latter to get clear away. The winger centred along the ground right in front of Brownlie, and, before the goalkeeper had time to clear, Murray quietly slipped the ball into the net. Aberdeen's play improved after this unexpected goal, but the Third Lanark kept begging away, and were eventually successful in drawing level. A mixup near the Aberdeen goal gave Tarbet his chance, and he easily beat Macfarlane. Near the close Aberdeen made desperate efforts to pull off the game, but no further scoring took place.

The result was quite in accordance with the run of the game.

Gate, £137; stands, £20 - total, £157.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 21st October 1907

A Point to the Good.

Last season, Aberdeen gave away all the points to Third Lanark in their League engagements, but on Saturday they improved on this by securing one point in the first engagement. It will be the general opinion but that for a stupid blunder they might have taken the two points. Aberdeen tried a rearranged front-line on Saturday, which, if persisted in, will bring better results in the future; but we are just afraid that the shifting process will be continued, and more, points lost before a halt is made in the re-modelling of the froth line. Against a fairly strong breeze and sun Aberdeen went away in style, O'Hagan and Simplon both having real hard luck in getting shots blocked by the merest accident on the part of the defenders. Though this half was barren of goals, Aberdeen more than held their own, and played the superior game to their opponents. The fault, which we commented on at Falkirk, was again apparent, twice when Murray might have scored had he shot instead of trying to run the ball home. Third opened strong in the second half, and gave the home defence plenty of work, which, they took quite easily, Colman shining on several occasions. The visitors' shooting also lacked vim to be very dangerous, and after several corners Aberdeen transferred the play. Simpson hooked on to a clearance by Halket, and passing well out to the wing, Macdonald raced McQuaker for possession, and getting there first had the run of the day. Macdonald crossed the ball beautifully, and Murray simply glided it into the net out of Brownlee's reach. But for hesitancy on the part of Simpson and Murray they should have scored twice after this. Instead, however, they allowed the Third to get away. Tarbet scored a soft one, which Low or Hume might easily have stopped, or for that matter Macfarlane could have made a jump sharper, as he did on several occasions previously. Aberdeen pressed at the finish, but could not get the winning goal, and had to be content with a draw of one goal each.

The Players.

Macfarlane only made one mistake, and it was excusable. His play otherwise was class and free from blemish. Colman was the better of the two backs, Hume-not being so sure as we have seen him. We have seen Macintosh and Low in better form than they were against the Third. The latter tired perceptibly, and seems to require more training to make him last the pace. Halket was the king of the lot, and put in as much work as the other two, while he held Fairfoull to a nicety. Macdonald and Simpson when they got the ball always made good use of it, while Murray, if he would shoot oftener is the best centre yet tried. O'Hagan was superb in his feeding, but Lennie had always a couple on his top. He was too well watched to shine. Brownlee kept a splendid goal, Hill being the better of the two backs, McQuaker kicking out of bounds when there was danger near. Sloan was an ideal centre-half, while Tarbet and Cross were the best in the front line.

Chatty Bits.

R. S. M toll has at last been re-admitted to the Queens Park. He has decided not to start play till he gets into proper training, and will play a game or two for the Strollers.
There was another sensation last week when it became known that Templeton of the Celtic was on the transfer list.
That this famous player should go back to Kilmarnock is only natural, seeing he has a business down there.
We understand Aberdeen put in an offer for him without success. Under the circumstances, we are of opinion that the player took the proper course.
St. Bernards benefited by their sojourn in Aberdeen last week, for they secured two clever players in Murray and Simpson of the East End.
Simpson is the catch of the two, and was wanted at Pittodrie, but did not take the chance.
Peterhead drew with the Hearts at Fraserburgh on Saturday in the first round, of the Aberdeenshire Cup.
Each side scored two goals, though it is admitted that Peterhead were the better side on the day's play. The re-play will take place at Peterhead.
The rest of the ties in the first round of the Aberdeenshire Cup are due on Saturday. There should be several good games.
Footballers have contributed well to the Lifeboat Saturday movement. With the collections and the game last Saturday a sum of over £20 has been realised.
The game with the "Spring Chicken" Company had to be abandoned on account of the weather last Thursday.
Aberdeen made their first gain against the Third Lanark on Saturday. Hitherto the Warriors have bagged the points on every occasion.
Why don't, the Aberdeen forwards try to shoot oftener? They do better in practice.
We should not be surprised to see Drain drafted into the half-back line soon. He is doing splendidly with the Reserves, while some of the first are falling away.
Aberdeen's invalids are all progressing. Edgar was a spectator for a short time on Saturday, but did not look well.
Muir is all right again, and will be fit for a place in either team on Saturday.
Colman's engagement for one month with the Aberdeen expired on Saturday. That he has given every satisfaction cannot be gainsaid.
We understand that Colman was re-engaged on a permanent basis after the game last Saturday.

Source: Bon-Accord, 24th October 1907

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownlie; Hill, McQuaker; McIntosh, Sloan, Ferguson; Cross, Gilchrist, Fairfoul, Tarbet, McFarlane
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Edwards, Jordanhill
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries