Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Kilmarnock

Aberdeen scorers: Considine 37, Mawéné 53.
Kilmarnock scorers: Heffernan 15, Shiels 27.

17/09/2011 | KO: 15:00

Comeback On But Spoils Shared

Aberdeen and Kilmarnock shared the points at Pittodrie but the Dons had to come from two behind to earn their point in a game that lacked many clear cut chances for either side. Killie were two up after fine finishes from Heffernan and Shiels in the first half, but the Dons fought back with goals from Andrew Considine before the break andYoul Mawene early in the second.

Aberdeen handed a debut to new signing Rory Fallon as they went in search of a third successive home win with Scott Vernon dropping to the bench. Fallon was partnered up front by Mohammed Chalali while Jason Brown came in to the side in place of David Gonzalez in goal and Ryan Jack replaced Rory McArdle at right back.

After a dull first few minutes, Aberdeen had a chance when Foster put Milsom through with a lobbed ball but the midfielder hit the ball wide of the target.

The Dons' Bright start was nearly rewarded when Arnason's sublime ball was crossed into the box by Foster but no one was there to capitalise and Kilmarnock cleared with ease.

Despite their early domination there was a major setback for the Dons on 16 mins. Dean Shiels found himself in acres of space down the Killie right and his sublime cross was met by Paul Heffernan who bulleted the ball past Jason Brown.

Aberdeen tried to respond minutes later when Rob Milsom's ball into the box was blasted over the top by Mohammed Chalali, making his first start in the side.

But it was Kilmarnock who doubled their advantage on 29 mins when the Dons defence was ripped apart down the middle. Gary Harkins found Shiels who fired past Jason Brown and left the Dons facing an uphill battle to get anything out of the game.

Debutant Fallon was controversially booked in 33 mins when referee Iain Brines judged the attacker went down to easily inside the box under pressure, however, the booking didn't please The Red Army who thought they should have had a penalty.

However just a few moments later the Red Army had cause for celebration when The Dons got themselves back into the game. Ryan Jack crossed the ball into the box and with Cammy Bell floundering in the Killie goal, Andy Considine volleyed the ball past the Killie defenders into the back of the net to give the Dons a lifeline.

A burst of pace from captain Foster nearly set Fallon up but the Killie defence stood firm and just a few moments later, another effort from Chalali went wide of the post just before half time.

HT 1-2

Aberdeen made a substitution at half time- Peter Pawlett replaced Mohammed Chalali.

The first real action of the second half saw Liam Kelly foul Rob Milsom after he was sent through by Andrew Considine but the Dons couldn't capitalise on the free kick.

Kilmarnock were looking dangerous again on the break and the Dons defence had to be alert to stamp out any threat with several key interceptions. Soon after though the Dons responded to the Killie pressure and got themselves back level on 52 mins when Kari Arnason's long throw went straight towards Youl Mawene who rose to meet the ball and guide it past Cammy Bell.

The Dons very nearly took the lead when Milsom's free kick was met by Rory Fallon, but his header crashed off the cross bar and Bell collected the rebound- much to the agony of the Red Army, many of who thought the ball had gone in.

Chris Clark was sent on for Ryan Jack on 62 mins as manager Brown now shuffled the pack in search of a winner.

Foster was once again looking dangerous down the Aberdeen left and his ball to Pawlett was well intercepted by a great tackle that put the ball out for a corner. Not long after, there was another great break from the Dons as they pushed for the lead when Milsom slipped Foster through and after a neat exchange of passes the flag sadly went up for offside against Foster.

Liam Kelly's rasping drive was parried by Jason Brown who did well to avert the danger having had little to do all afternoon apart from pick the ball out of his own net twice.

Craig Brown made his final substitution on 74 mins when Scott Vernon was sent on in place of Rob Milsom.

Isaac Osbourne, outstanding all afternoon, had to look sharp to intercept a Killie break as both sides went in search of a winning goal but it was Aberdeen who created the next chance when Chris Clark's drive from outside the box went wide of the post.

Kilmarnock had a great chance with just a few moments left but Mohamadou Sissoko's header went well wide of the Dons goal before referee Brines blew for Full Time as the Dons sought a late winner up the other end. The Dons now look to progress in the League Cup with John Robertson's East Fife side up next at Pittodrie on Tuesday evening.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, Jack (Clark 62), Mawéné, Considine, Foster, Fyvie, Osbourne, Arnason, Milsom (Vernon 74), Fallon, Chalali (Pawlett 46).

Unused Subs: Langfield, Magennis, Mackie, McArdle.

Bookings:  Fallon (34),  Fyvie (80).
Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Cameron Bell, James Fowler, Zdenek Kroca, Leon Panikvar, Garry Hay, James Dayton (Danny Racchi 62), Dean Shiels, Gary Harkins (Mohamadou Sissoko 78), Manuel Pascali, Liam Kelly, Paul Heffernan. Unused Subs: Anssi Jaakkola, Ben Hutchinson, Rory McKeown, Alex Pursehouse, Gary Fisher.

Bookings:  James Dayton 36,   James Fowler 60,   Garry Hay 73.
Attendance: 7,672
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Iain Brines
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride