Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Lennie, O'Hagan, Simpson (Pen).
Falkirk scorers: Davidson

07/11/1908 | KO:

At Aberdeen, before 8000 spectators. The teams were at full strength, Falkirk having the lead so far as play was concerned. Aberdeen were first to score through Lennie, though the goal was got really from a fine effort by McEchern. On resuming, Falkirk came away very strongly, Davidson equalising. Aberdeen put on a spurt which resulted in O'Hagan getting the lead, and, playing strong, R. Simpson scored from a penalty. Result :- Aberdeen, three; Falkirk, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 9th November 1908

Falkirk were the visitors to Pittodrie, Aberdeen, on Saturday afternoon, when they met Aberdeen in a first division match of the Scottish League. The weather was fine, and there would have been about 6000 spectators present when the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; C. A.V. McEachern, R. Simpson, Mcnair, O'Hagan, Lennie.
up Falkirk: McKenna; Hendry, Gibson; MacMillan, Anderson, Collins; J. Simpson, Reid, Skene, Mitchell, Davidson.
Referee - Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie.

Aberdeen lost the toss, and kicked off towards the west goal. Falkirk immediately took up the attack. O'Hagan missed a pass from R. Simpson, and Macmillan getting the ball sent ahead two J. Simpson, the Falkirk flier. The visitors' right got into touch with Mutch, and the goalkeeper saved a long drive by J. Simpson. Falkirk would not be shaken off, and it was only when Mutch again saved and kicked well ahead that Aberdeen got into contact with Hendry and Gibson. The backs, however, were quite safe. McEchern neatly got round Collins, and Aberdeen looked like securing a goal, when Hendry rushed in amongst the forwards, and relieved with a hard punt. Falkirk were most persistent in their efforts to score. Swinging the ball from wing two wing, and occasionally lashing it well ahead, the visitors gave the local defence considerable trouble. Hume had to give away a corner, being hard pressed by J. Simpson. This advantage proved of little consequence, as the ball was got safely away. The visitors played with great dash. They were smarter on the ball when Aberdeen, and as the opportunities appeared made straight for goal. Aberdeen's forwards were kept well in hand by the Falkirk middle line. Still another corner fell to Falkirk, but like the other proved fruitless. After a series of quick rushes from one end to the other, Lennie forced a corner off Hendry, but from the free kick the ball was sent out of play. Play for a time was confined to the south end of the field. Lennie and O'Hagan would make off to the other end only to be drawn up by the defence, while J. Simpson, receiving the bald from Hendry, would make off only to receive the same fate as O'Hagan and Lennie. This state of affairs lasted for about five minutes', and the players at the other side of the field were more or less spectators. Falkirk's Simpson was a source of great trouble to Low, who had to be continually on the move. The left half had not matters all his own way, and had it not been for McIntosh, Simpson would have got more rope. A fouled for Aberdeen, on a count of McNair being fouled, looked bad for the visitors. O'Hagan got the ball, but when in a capital position to score or test the goalkeeper, he sent high over the bar. R. Simpson and McEchern were more or less passengers so far, played being almost continually on Aberdeen's left. Aberdeen's forwards were not combining well. Falkirk's middle division men were playing a strong bustling game, and never for a moment or the local forwards allowed to settle down. Falkirk repeatedly attacked. The lashed the ball ahead and rushed after it. Colman and Hume, however, were a steady as a rock, and repelled all attacks. The halves of both teams were robust to a degree, especially the centre men. Falkirk were certainly the better team, but they could not get into touch with Mutch, and the ball was repeatedly sent behind. Lennie raised the enthusiasm of the spectators. The little man cleverly outwitted Hendry, but his final effort struck the outside of the net. After Falkirk had a run to wards Mutch, Colman clearing, McEachern forced a corner. A minute later Reid was presented with an opportunity to score. The inside man was on the verge of shooting a few yards from goal, when Mutch rushed out and cleared. It was the only thing the goalkeeper could have done, and it certainly showed that he was not frightened to risk himself. After a brief spell of midfield play in which McIntosh shown, Mutch was again called upon. He cleared a hard drive by Skene in a masterly manner. McEchern, securing the goalkeepers return, had are run over half of the field. The effort of the right winger proved fruitless, as the ball was sent into touch. From the throw in the ball went to McNair, and as the centre was about to shoot he was fouled by Hendry. This advantage proved fruitless, and away when the visitors' forwards in a body. The halves were left behind. Colman, however, was on the alert, but the back had to concede a corner. Much brought off a capital save from the resulting kick. Play rolled from end to end with great rapidity, but the defences of both teams were an excellent form, and gave nothing away. On one occasion McNair got through between the backs, one of whom gave away a corner in consequence. The free kick resulted in another corner. McKenna had not yet got a shot to hold, and his first clearance was a good drive from Simpson. Another series of rushes from goal two goals followed. Skene was pulled up for offside, while a few seconds later Falkirk forced a corner. The kick was cleared, and players were spreading out when Halkett got the ball. The half danced about for a few seconds until he was surrounded by a few opponents. He then placed to McEchern, who dashed ahead. The winger halted a few yards from the corner-flag, and crossed to Lennie. Little man was lying handy for the pass, and with no one to beat but the goalkeeper, he scored a lovely goal from about the corner of the penalty area. The Cole was obtained about 8 minutes from half-time. There was no holding Aberdeen now. The forwards moved with the freemen-and-easy motion. The game was hard previously, it was even faster now. Hendry was warned by the referee for being too close attention to Lennie. Simpson, Aberdeen, shook the crossbar with a rocket shot. Half-time was called with Aberdeen pressing.

The game was resumed after 5 minutes of an interval, which the players spent on the field. Falkirk attacked in the first minute. J. Simpson got the ball from the kick-off. He defeated Low and Hume on the run, but his parting shot struck the wrong side of the net. Falkirk returned to the attack, but Skene was pulled up for offside. Aberdeen men had a say in the game. O'Hagan and Lennie transfer to play to the visitors territory, and McKenna had to save from R.Simpson, who headed in a cross from the Irishman. Play was exceedingly fast, and the defences were called upon in turn with remarkable regularity. Davidson, when in a good position to equalise, sent behind. Play for a few minutes was confined to Aberdeen's left, after which McEchern had a try, which was somewhat wide. Mutch saved from J. Simpson. Play continued hard and fast from end to end. Skene wandered off side, but the visitors were not to be shaken off. The carried a series of determined rushes on Aberdeen's defence. He believed in driving the ball well ahead, with quick following-up. Colman and Hume had their work cut out, but they managed all right. Aberdeen attacked, and Lennie struck the outside of the net. It was not for long could Aberdeen were allowed to press, and the rush away by J. Simpson resulted in two fruitless corners the four relief was given. Falkirk played desperately for goal. Hendry was again warned by the referee for not stopping Lennie in a legitimate manner. A good try by the fare from resulted in an exciting piece of play in front of McKenna. Several Aberdeen players crowded round the goalkeeper, but, try as they could, the moves to place the sphere in the net were unrewarded. Play never for a moment slackened down. End to end at terrific speed the ball was driven. During one of the rushes to Aberdeen's end, Falkirk scored through Davidson, who accepted a pass from J. Simpson..Was in many respects similar to the goal of gained by Lennie. Play was not so fast after this until about 20 minutes from time, when it became even faster than it had been be four. Falkirk were evidently determined to win, and Aberdeen were just as determined that they should not. A rush after rush was the order, and both keepers had to clear shots now and again. The Falkirk left wing was the most prominent now, and repeatedly Colman was left by Davidson, who invariably showed the back a clean pair of heels. J. Simpson was also prominent. He also left Low and Hume, but Mcintosh repeatedly overtook him on the run, and robbed him of the ball. O'Hagan worked hard to make openings for his colleagues, but without success. The Irishman tested Mckenna now and again. R. Simpson had a shot, but that missed by inches. Bobbie had another try a second or two later, but McKenna cleared. Aberdeen took the lead about 12 minutes from time. After beautiful and clever play by McEchern and Simpson, especially by the wing man, O'Hagan scored. Two minutes later Aberdeen secured another point. McNair got off on his own, and was almost through, when he was unceremoniously brought down by the two backs within the penalty area. The centre-forward was injured about the head, and several minutes elapsed before he was fit to play. There was no alternative for the referee but to give a penalty, and our Simpson, who was entrusted with the kick scored Aberdeen's third goal. These series of reverses took the hot foot of the visitors and gave fresh live to Aberdeen, who were almost continually attacking until the referee sounded time.
The gate and stands amounted to £180.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 9th November 1908

The Bairns' Slackness.

Several items of interest contributed to put more than usual interest into Saturday's game with Falkirk. A win meant Aberdeen going to the top of the table again, assuming that St Mirren found their masters at Airdrie. This contingency was discussed by many before the game began; and, while they saw the home side do their part, a little later in the evening, our "Results" gave forth the intelligence that St Mirren had lost. The attendance at the start was not so large as the visitors expected in view of previous games; but, after the Masonic procession had finished, there were quite 8000 spectators present.

At the last moment, Blackburn had to cry off, and McEaehran took the place. mcNair kicked off in ideal weather for a game. Falkirk caught the eye at once. Getting into their stride, and swinging the ball from wing to wing, they kept Aberdeen's defence busy. The outfield play of the visitors' vanguard was very fine, but they displayed a great lack of concentration when near goal. When Aberdeen did get a turn, there was some sting in their attack, Henry being unnecessarily severe in dealing with Lennie. A word of warning from the referee did not stop the back from having his elbow in occasionally. It fell to McEachran to open out the play, and eventually to the opening goal. So far, the right wing had been doing nothing, and were neglected, so that the 'Varsity player gathered up the ball from his own penalty line, and set off, eluding first the half, and then back. Drawing the right back on to him, he passed finely to Lennie, who had a clear run in, and scored with a fast oblique shot. Aberdeen held their own till the whistle sounded.

On restarting, the visitors gave Mutch several hot shots to hold, and it was a simple case of miskick which let Davidson score. The goal was a good one, and deserved on the run of play. Aberdeen looked like a beaten team after this, but they came away strong after this, and when O'Hagan snapped up an opening he put new life into the play, which was brilliant after this. McNair was getting through on his own, when one of the backs brought him down inside the line, and R. Simpson scored his fourth penalty goal for the season. Aberdeen may be said to have romped home easy winners after this. Lennie ought to have scored another goal, but he drove wildly over, and Simpson almost did the trick with a trimmer, which hit the bar. The whistle sounded in semi-darkness, with Aberdeen winning by 3-1.

Play and Players.

Had Falkirk scored in the first twenty minutes it would only have been commensurate with their play. Simpson and Davidson on the extreme wings put in some fine work, but the inside men were too slow in finishing, and their own shooting was from long range, which gave Mutch a clear vision. Collins was the best of the halves, and put in some fine feeding work to his wing men. Gibson was the best back, Henry resorting to shady work in his dealing with the left wing. McKenna is a clever goalkeeper, saving some fast shots. There was a tendency on the part, of the Aberdeen defenders to place tne ball too frequently to the left, a move which the visitors clearly saw and checkmated. O'Hagan was the first to grasp this, and swung the ball on to the right, who spelt danger every time. Lennie was bright, but was closely watched, and Charlie found the big back a troublesome customer to get round. McNair vas judicious in his passes, the fault I have to him being his desire to beat a man when he could part with the ball, but this is a fault which most players have. It was the second half before Simpson and McEachran were seen at their best; and they were clever in outfield work and dangerous at goal. Macintosh was the best half from start to finish. Low had a stiff job to hold Simpson, which he did most effectively in the second half. Halkett seemed to tire, and had a strong wing against him. There was nothing between the backs, and Mutch was only once in real danger of doing anything wrong, but he recovered beautifully. Aberdeen should give several teams a pretty rough journey for points if they can keep the present team immune from accidents.

Chatty Bits,

Falkirk did not belie their reputation on Saturday, and furnished as fine a game as has been seen at Pittodrie this season.
They were seen at their best in the first half, when they put in some clever work.
No better wing men than Simpson and Davidson have been seen on Pittodrie this season. Their inside men seem to be the weak spots.
There was too much wing play on the part of the Aberdeen forwards, and we should like to see them swing the ball over when a man is unmarked.
McNair got in some useful work, but Anderson kept in close touch with him all through.
Wilson did not wish to act as reserve for the first team on Saturday, but preferred to play for the Reserves.
There are some good players to be picked up just now out Buchan way, and we should not be surprised were one or two of the ElIon players to get a trial.
They seem to be built on sturdy lines, and are just the sort to he encouraged.
Rowdyism was prevalent on Saturday at football matches at Falkirk and Dumbarton.
The referee seems to have been the victim in both cases. The pity is that so many spectators can only see through one pair of spectacles.
We shall hear more of these cases shortly. as they will have to be reported on, anti then the Powers will step in and make the clubs suffer.

Source: Bon-Accord, 12th November 1908

Falkirk Teamsheet
McKenna; Hendry, Gibson; MacMillan, Anderson, Collins; J. Simpson, Reid, Skene, Mitchell, Davidson
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh