Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queens Park 2 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: Maclean, Dixon
Aberdeen scorers: Lennie, Lennie.

26/12/1908 | KO: 14:40

Aberdeen visited Hampden Park, Glasgow, and met the Queen's Park Club. The ground was hard and slippery, and the weather was foggy. There were about 7000 spectators present when Dickson started for Queen's Park. Aberdeen for some time had the best of the game, but Queen's broke away and McLean scored a fine goal. Afterwards there was little to choose between the teams, both being handicapped by the state of the ground. Dickson added a second goal, and then Lennie scored twice in quick succession for Aberdeen. Queen's Park pressed and forced a corner, but nothing came of it, the score at half-time being :- Queen's Park, two goals; Aberdeen, two goals. In the second half Aberdeen forced the pace, but although they bombarded the home goal, they were unable to score. A corner against Queen's Park was cleared, and the home team transferred play to Mutch's end, but they too were unsteady in front of goal. A fine shot by Anderson grazed the bar. Play fell away somewhat towards the finish and there was no further scoring, the final result being a draw - Two goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 28th December 1908

The return league match between Aberdeen and Queen's Park was played at Hampden Park, Glasgow, on Saturday. A keen frost prevailed throughout the day, and at the hour of starting the ground was so hard that it was only after consultation between the referee and the officials of the two clubs that it was decided to go on with the game. The Aberdeen team rearranged, Halkett, McNair, and O'Hagan being a prominent absentees. At 2:20 the teams lined up as follows, before fully 10,000 spectators:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Wilson, McIntosh, Low; McEchern, Simpson, Niblo, Murray, Lennie.
Queens Park: Adams; Thompson, Richmond; McAndrew, Murray, Henderson; McLean, Bowie, Dixon, McColl, Paul.
Referee - Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir.

Play opened quietly, the hard nature of the ground and the uncertain foothold troubling the players. For fully a quarter of an hour the game was practically devoid of incident. It was quite evident that the players did not intend to run any risks, with the result that play failed to create the slightest enthusiasm among the spectators. Aberdeen had the best of matters at the start, the Queen's Park forwards being seldom across midfield. First McIntosh and then Hume dropped the ball in front of Adams, but the Queen's Park backs had plenty of time to clear. A clever pass by Murray, Aberdeen, said Lennie agoing, the left winger being blocked near the goal line and a corner resulting. Lennie placed the ball beautifully, and it was with difficulty that the Hampden team ultimately managed to clear their lines. Aberdeen again attacked, when a misunderstanding between Niblo and Simpson allowed Richmond to clear. The Queen's were rarely dangerous, any attempt at breaking through being checked by Hume and Colman. A surprise shot by McEchern, who sent the ball across from near the touch line, was easily cleared by Adams. Play on the whole was lacking in interest, although Aberdeen were undoubtedly the better side, played clever football, but rarely attempting to force matters near goal. The players could scarcely be blamed for refusing to take risks on the hard ground, although the Queen's Park gradually forced Aberdeen to act on the defensive, mainly as the result of the ring play on the part of Paul and Anderson. McColl came very near scoring with a fast shot on the run, the ball passing close to the upright. This attempt by the famous inside left helped to enliven matters. Niblo raced away in the centre, and finally passed out to Lenny on the wing. The last named was presented with a fine opening, but slipped near the goal line, his shot going harmlessly past the outside of goal post.


Fully 20 minutes of the game had gone when the Queen's Park opened the scoring. Up to this point Aberdeen had had by far the best of the game, and that therefore came as a surprise when the amateurs took the lead. The ball came across from Paul, on the left, and Hume, in attempting to clear, completely missed his kick. Maclean was left with a clear opening, and he had no difficulty in beating Mutch. A minute later the Queen's were two up. McColl and began the movement that led up to the goal. From near midfield, the inside left sent out a capital pass to Paul, who beat Colman at close quarters, and finished with a terrific drive. Mutch saved, but the ball was returned, and during a fierce scrimmage in the goalmouth, Dixon got the ball and drove it into the net. This in rapid scoring had a marked effect on the Aberdeen men. The Queen's Park, however, redoubled their efforts, Dixon and Maclean being prominent with good shots. A dash to the other end of the field by the Aberdeen forwards was capped by a clever goal, scored by Lennie. Murray, the Queen's centre half, failed to get the ball away when pressed, and was beaten by Simpson in a tussle for possession. The inside right crossed to the left, and before the Queen's backs could recover on the slipper a ground, Lennie burst through and beat Adams with a fast drive. With only a goal of difference between the teams, played brightened up considerably. Aberdeen improved all along the line, their half-backs - McIntosh in particular - being specially good in their tackling. Aberdeen equalized as the result of smart work by the right wing. Simpson passed out to McEchern, who dashed along the touch line, beat the left half, but subsequently crossed to Niblo. The laughter in turn gave the ball to Lenny, who, with a clear course towards goal, made no mistake with a terrific drive along the ground. Thus the teams were on a level footing, although the visitors had enjoyed the bulk of the play. Close on half-time Niblo lost a capital chance near goal. Three of the Aberdeen forwards got right through the Queen's defence. Niblo had the ball at his feet, and was within a yard of goal. For some reason or other, he lifted the ball right into the goalkeepers hands instead of turning it to one side of the net. Aberdeen continued to have the best of the game up till half-time.

Some capitol play was witnessed during the second half, play all over being remarkably good considering the dangerous nature of the ground. The Queens Park players threw off all restraint, and forced matters as soon as the game was resumed. A promising run by the three inside forwards almost brought a goal, Bowie being stopped by Hume within a few yards of Mutch. Colman also checked a dangerous movement by the Queen's left wing. Paul lead the way, and was just stopped in time by the Aberdeen right back. The Hamden men were working with great determination for the leading goal, but were met by a resolute defence, in which the Aberdeen half-backs took a prominent part. The game was fast, and always interesting to watch. Indeed, the display given by both teams was wonderfully good considering the slipper a nature of the pitch. The Queen's forwards took a lot of stopping, McColl and Paul being specially prominent.
A clever run - half the length of the field - by Simpson and McEchern transfer to play to the other end, but the Queen's goal was seldom in danger. Murray, Aberdeen, after a smart run, back-heeled the ball to Lenny, who shot went skimming over the bar. A fast drive by Murray just missed the net, while a corner to Queen's Park a few minutes later was splendidly cleared by Wilson. A clever overhead kick by Dixon was cleared almost under the bar by Mutch, while McIntosh got rid of a dangerous cross from poll just as Dixon was rushing in to shoot. Occasional bursts along the left wing by Lennie and Murray improved Aberdeen's prospects, but Niblo was somewhat slow in the centre, and failed to take advantage of any crosses that came his way. Still, he exhibited many clever touches in passing out to the other forwards. Queen's Park were undoubtedly the more dangerous side, and on several occasions the Aberdeen goal narrowly escape downfall. Colman and Hume were continually on the move, while Wilson, McIntosh, and Low rendered great assistance in keeping out the strong-going Queen's Park forwards. The visiting front rank were held in check by the opposing half-backs, with the result that an additional strain was put upon the Aberdeen defence. Time was wearing on, with the home team pressing Aberdeen on all sides. A sudden break-a way by McEchern, followed by a neat cross to the left, almost brought a goal to Aberdeen. Lennie dashed ahead, finishing with a rare drive, which was accidentally stopped by Richmond, the ball rebounding off the left back within a few yards of goal. A free kick to Aberdeen close to the penalty line was successfully cleared by Thompson, all of free kick at the other end of Colman, almost on the penalty line, was blocked by McIntosh. End-to-end play rolled for a time, but towards the finish the Queen's came away in irresistible fashion. Anderson, left half, sent in a great shot - the best of the match - the ball just grazing the bar at the far corner. Keeping up the pressure, Queen's Park appeared likely to score at any moment. Nine minutes from time poll lost a comparatively easy chance of scoring. The left winger, in company with Dixon, run right through between the Aberdeen backs. While at full speed, Paul sent in a stinging shot, which just missed the net. It was, indeed, a close thing, and would probably have settled the game for his side had the left winger's shot been straight. Both teams made praiseworthy efforts to get on the lead near the close, but the end came with the scores - Aberdeen, 2 goals; Queen's Park, - goals.

The result is a fair indication of the game. The ground was all against good football, but the play was wonderfully good, especially in the second half.

Up the gate amounted to £207 18s 2d.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 28th December 1908

Frost-bound Hampden.

The pitch at Hampden, though not actually unplayable, was decidedly on the hard side, and needed little more to make it dangerous. As it was, the players found it difficult to keep their feet, and many awkward slips were made throughout the game, which might have cost the side points. Aberdeen left for Glasgow at Friday afternoon, and were consequently refreshed for such a stiff tussle as they had to engage in. Two changes were made on the side, Halkett and McNair were left out, Wilson taking the former's place, and Bert Murray partnering Lennie, with Niblo in as centre. The Queen's were at full strength.

The opening movements of Aberdeen promised well, and but for the treacherous ground they could have opened the scoring - at least there was more than a passing chance of their doing so from a fine cross by the right wing. Play became very fast, the defence at both ends having to clear good work by the forwards. After having the greater share of the play, Aberdeen were doomed to see their citadel fall first, a faulty clearance by Hume letting McLean pounce on the ball and net it, with Mutch left powerless. This did not end the tale of disasters, for the Queen's put in some good forward work, which ended in another splendid goal. With two goals to the bad, it looked as if Aberdeen were to be sent home pointless, but they also buckled to, and some of their runs were thrillinog, while their shooting was straight. It was no surprise when Lennie put on first goal, which came from the right wing, who had worked the ball up the field. MacEchern crossed and Lennie gave Adams no possible chance. Simpson was almost through shortly after, Richmond pulling him up in the nick of time, while Niblo had a shot which lacked sting. Aberdeen were taking a firm grip of the game, and pressing home their attacks for all they were worth. It was left to Lennie to put on the second goal, which was the best effort of the afternoon. On the run of play Aberdeen ought to have led at half-time, instead of which they had to stand equal, with two goals. It was evident that both teams were impatient to get on the lead in the second half, for the Queen's forwards were really reckless in their shooting, and the visitors were just a trifle ever-eager in their efforts. It would be difficult to chronicle the number of chances both sides missed, but on the run of play Queen's Park were more aggressive, but found the defence in better mood than at the opening stages. On the other hand, several of the Aberdeen forwards seemed to tire perceptibly, and did not work for the ball in the same determined manner as they had previously done. There was no further scoring, and the game ended two all.

Chatty Bits.

The compliments of the season to our readers.
Aberdeen have come out well in their Christmas games.
The total drawings in the Falkirk game was £55 all in. Not bad for a new venture. Aberdeen's victory over the "Bairns" puts them into the final for the North-Eastern Cup. When will the tie be played?
The general opinion in the city was that Aberdeen had done well in dividing the points at Hampden.
There was a reshuffling of the forward line on Saturday, which for a time did not work well, but on the Queen's scoring, a very marked improvement set in.
Herbert Murray is the best catch of the new players on trial. As yet, Niblo has not set the heather on fire.
Everyone admits that there is splendid football in the internationalist, but as yet, he has not tumbled to the methods and tricks of his partners.
O'Hagan was missed on Saturday, and in our opinion, the left wing will be the poorer till his return.
The local press and the general opinion we have heard is that O'Hagan has been harshly treated for his share in the Dundee episode.
The problem is, will he be allowed to play in the cup-ties - the first round of which is due on January 23.
J. W. Baker, who was to have played a trial at Pittodrie on Saturday, found himself unable to strip on account of sickness caused by the long journey north.
This player expects to be able to come north nest Monday, and will play against Maryhill.
The "A" Team have only one fixture during the holidays, when they play Maryhill (Glasgow) on the Monday.
Don't forget the Inverness City Boys v. Aberdeen City Boys' game at Pittodrie on Saturday forenoon.
The Second Division Scottish League clubs have been refused permission to take part in the Consolation Cup competition.
It is quite on the cards that more League games will be arranged in Scotland in the future than has been in the past.
Dundee's tour in the west last week turned out financially on the right side, but the results were disappointing.
Every precaution is being taken to have Ibrox in proper condition for the game with Celtic tomorrow.
The pitch was covered with straw last Satururday,and as a consequence of this, the Partick Thisle and Hibs could not play their League game.
Greenoch Morton are making a diligent search for talent to assist them in their cup ties.
How long will the present storm last? is the problem down Pittodrie way.
It will cost a few pounds to get the present depth of "beautiful" snow removed from the enclosure.

Source: Bon-Accord, 31st December 1908

Queens Park Teamsheet
Thompson, Richmond; McAndrew, Murray, Henderson; Maclean, Bowie, Dixon, McColl, Paul
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen