Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Third Lanark 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Third Lanark 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Third Lanark scorers: Hosie, McPhee

20/03/1909 | KO:

Enter the Dons?

At Cathkin Park. Although Aberdeen had a capable substitute for Lennie, who was unable to appear in his usual position on the left, they were unfortunate in having Niblo, who took the ex Queen's Park man's place, incapacitated just prior to the interval. He had considerably the worst of a collision with Brownlie, and did not resume in the second half. The only goal of the opening period fell to Third Lanark, through Hosie, and the same player failed to convert a penalty kick, Mutch turning aside the shot. Though handicapped in the second stage the "Dons" kept the game open, and except for the loss of a second goal, taken by McPhee seven minutes after the restart, had an equal say in the argument till the finish. Result :- Third Lanark, two goals; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd March 1909

Aberdeen met Third Lanark at Cathkin Park, Glasgow, on Saturday. There was an attendance of about 3000 spectators. Teams:-

Third Lanark: Brownlee; McIntosh, Hill; Fairfoull, Ferguson, Dickon; Johnstone, Hosie, Woods, McFie, Kidd.
Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Blackburn, Murray, Simpson, O'Hagan, Niblo.
Referee - J. Rennie, Falkirk.

Third kicked off, but Aberdeen was not long in getting down on Brownlie, when Niblo shot past. Once more the ball found its way over Third's lines. Hosie got off on the right, and then Woods passed out to Kidd, who had a tussle with Halkett, the visitor having the best of it. All the play was on Third's left, and a smart cross from Kidd was completely missed by Johnstone, but Hosie, lying behind, just got in, and with a great shot put on the first goal. Following this, Niblo had a couple of nice runs on the left, but his shots went sailing into Brownlie, who caught and cleared in the coolest manner possible. Another grand drive by Simpson was dealt with in similar fashion. Aberdeen were doing most of the shooting, and one from Simpson went flying over the bar. With an open goal in front of him, O'Hagan made a bad mess of it, with Brownlie looking on. A couple of corners came the way of Aberdeen, but they were not improved upon. As usual, Ferguson was in the thick of the fight, and was not slow in having a shot at Mutch when an opportunity came his way. All the same, the visitors were having the pool, but when they came to goal, Brownlie, single-handed, beat them back. Niblo had another grand effort, which was stopped right on the goal-line by the Third's keeper. After playing so well for the equaliser, it was hard to lose the services of Niblo, who came in contact with Brownlie. For bringing down Hosie, Third were awarded a penalty, but Mutch saved. A corner followed, Woods heading past.

Aberdeen resumed with 10 players, but at the start their play did not appear to suffer by this handicap. After a time the home side had their innings, and Mutch was called on to dispose of several difficult shots from Johnstone, Hosie, and Kidd. After 7 minutes' play, as was the case in the first half, Third scored, McPhee beating much with a slanting shot. It was afterwards apparent that the visitors were feeling the absence of Niblo, as the attacks of the front line very often went awry. After playing a minor note for a long time, the visitors were seen taking a bigger share in the game, and only great saving by Brownlie and a hesitancy at times of the northern forwards prevented the visitors from getting the reward of their aggressive play. Had they shot like their opponents, Brownlie would have had some difficulty in saving his charge. Ferguson was off the field for several minutes as the result of a blow from the ball. If continuous pressure meant goals, and Aberdeen should have gotten in the last 15 minutes. Indifferent shooting, however, and great saving by Brownlie left them pointless. Just on time the custodian saved a great effort by Simpson with consummate ease.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd March 1909

Down on their Luck.

It becomes a little wearisome to chronicle week after week of the non-success of a team that once held the top position on the table. With the exception of the two games at Greenock, Aberdeen have done nothing of great account since the New Year came in. Injured players, and bad luck combined make up a sorry picture to look at. We are inclined to the opinion that the players are not putting the same energy into their play as they did earlier in the season - more especially the forwards. This was brought forcibly to our notice on Saturday, when their outfield work was all that could be desired, but their finishing was poor.
We are safe in saying that the bulk of the play was forced by the Aberdeen, but score they couldn't; while the Third snapped up two lucky chances and carried off the points. Niblo was off all the second half, and Bert Murray got a kick on the leg which bothered him a bit during most of the closing stages. Simpson distributed the play well enough, but had a bad habit of shooting too far out, the result being that Brownlie had a clear view of all that came to him. Mutch could not be blamed for the two goals against him, which were of the unsaveable order from close range. All over the play was only fair; now and again glimpses were given of good football. We think it about time the forwards were doing something more tangible than they have during the past few weeks.

Chatty Bits

Rangers have qualified for the final of the Scottish, and the question now being asked is, who will be their opponents - Clyde or Celtic?
The Celts stand the better chance of pulling through this week, as they will have most of their cripples sound by that time.
On Saturday the Dewar Shield competition was set a-going, and office-bearers appointed for the season.
Mr T. Duncan, the respected chairman of the A.F.C., is vice-president of the Dewar Shield competition this year.
The first round will be a tussle, for Aberdeen "A" and Dundee "A" play off at Pittodrie. There should be a good gate.
The other tie is not settled yet, but both will have to be played off before April 10; as it is the intention of the committee to play the final tie on April 17.
Sir John Dewar has again decided to give badges, and this ought to make the players go all the time.
Lennie is still on the injured list, and it will entirely depend on the doctor's orders whether he will turn out this week.
Niblo, who has been performing on the wing, has been doing exceptionally well. It is expected he will be fit for this week.<.br> Jimmy Muir is now walking about without the aid of a stick, and feels stronger than ever, but he is not yet fit for training.
We congratulate C. V. A. McEchern on the high position he has taken in his classes, and on his graduation in Divinity next month.
The players, who are all fond of the outside right, were delighted to hear of his success.
Jim Dalgarno will also be missed both at Pittodrie and out Stoneywood way. His promotion has come quick, and we wish him good luck with it.
It is unfortunate for Aberdeen that these two players should be going away at the same time, for the club could be doing with them for some seasons yet.
Middlesbrough have abandoned their tour in the north for this season.
The English team for the Crystal Palace game is to be selected on Friday. It is said that the defence and middle line are already fixed, and the forward line causes the trouble.
The Home and Anglo-Scots match at Cathkin provided, a great feast of football, which was served up piping hot.
In the first period the Anglos were most prominent, and Cameron, of Chelsea, early caught the eye, and led at half time by one goal.
The second period saw a complete change, the Home players going great guns, and won a splendid game by 3 goals to 1.

Source: Bon-Accord, 25th March 1909

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownlee; McIntosh, Hill; Fairfoull, Ferguson, Dickon; Johnstone, Hosie, Woods, McFie, Kidd
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mister J. Rennie, Falkirk
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen