Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Pauli 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Pauli 0 - 0 Aberdeen

St. Pauli scorers: Ebbers 62.
Aberdeen scorers: McGinn 70.

28/07/2012 | KO: 15:30

Dons earn 1-1 draw in Hamburg

The Dons wrapped up their German tour with a 1-1 draw against St. Pauli. All the outfield players were given a run and now they look forward to the big kick off at Celtic Park next week. Aberdeen lined up with Jack at right back, Shaughnessy and Considine in central defence with Naysmith at left back. Clark, Hughes, Milsom and Low formed the midfield with Paton and Fallon up front. Aberdeen carved out the first chance after only 30 seconds when the ball was worked down the left. Fallon knocked it down to Hughes who played a neat pass into Paton and his curling shot from the edge of the area went inches wide. Four minutes later a slip by Milsom allowed Bartels the chance to gallop forward from the half way line, but Considine did well to just marshal his man to safety.

Fallon had a sight of goal in the 5th minute when he was given some time inside the box before his shot was blocked as he tried to net from a tight angle. On the break Considine did very well to block Thorandt as he broke into the box. From the resulting corner Bartels had a chance when Aberdeen were slow to pick him up on the edge of the box. Thankfully he pulled his shot wide before another corner caused problems when the Dons failed to deal with the aerial challenges and could not clear properly. The ball eventually broke to Lennart Thy and his shot through a ruck of players hit the post.

St Pauli were enjoying a good spell and a free kick was played in from the right back spot. It went through everyone and Langfield made a fine save despite being unable to react till late. This match was being played at a much faster pace than the other pre-season games. As St Pauli also prepare to start their season next weekend. The Dons won their first corner in the 16th minute, but it failed to threaten. At least the visitors had weathered the early storm and had quietened a very vocal home support.

In the 19th minute Jack went on a run down the right and played a neat one-two with Paton. He then beat another defender before his shot was deflected off the bar. This was the closest the Dons had come so far and he was very unlucky not to score. A t the other end Shaughnessy did well to block a shot from Boll and then two minutes later his central partner Considine did really well to snuff out Thy when he was left one-on-one. The home side created another opening in the 24th minute. Following good play down the right, the ball was laid back to Boll and his shot was deflected just over.

Three minutes later a Hughes shot from the edge of the area was deflected inches wide. From the resultant corner Milsom almost broke the deadlock when keeper Tschauner was almost caught out at his near post and just did enough to tip the ball over. Aberdeen then started to take control of the game. Low picked the ball up 25 yards out and drilled a low shot towards goal and the keeper did well diving to his left to get a good hand on it. A series of corners quickly followed then Hughes fired in a shot from 30 yards, but the Keeper got a good view of it.

In the 39th minute Milsom and Hughes worked the ball to Low who hit a fine effort. Hughes then found Jack who picked out Paton. His powerful header forced a brilliant save from Tschauner who tipped it round the post. From another Dons corner Considine won his header but the ball was straight at Tschauner. At the other end a Thy header forced an excellent saves from Langfield and Naysmith was then forced into a goal line clearance as this entertaining half finished in dramatic style.

Craig Brown introduced seven substitutes at the interval with Anderson, Osbourne, Fraser, Rae, McGinn, Hayes and Vernon entering the fray. Langfield, Jack Considine and Naysmith were the four players who stayed on. Jack moved to right back, Anderson, and Considine in the centre and Naysmith remaining at left back. We had a midfield of Fraser, Osbourne, Rae and Hayes with McGinn and Vernon leading the line. There was an incredible noise inside the stadium for a pre-season friendly and that with only two and a bit stands in operation.

The opening ten minutes were quiet then in the 55th minute Hayes released Vernon and the striker took it down well but was just flagged offside. On the hour mark Fraser cut inside but his shot ballooned over. Young Ryan has had a very good tour and now does not look out of place in the first team. Two minutes later the Dons fell behind when the ball was worked out to the left catching the Dons defence out of position. Anderson raced across to cover allowing Bruns an opening on the left side of the box. He calmly cut the ball inside to Marius Ebbers who side footed it past Langfield. It was a cool finish and gave the keeper no chance.

Aberdeen reacted positively to the setback and five minutes later Hayes played a great ball in behind the defence for McGinn to chase. He won the race and crossed for Vernon but once again he was adjudged to be offside. The Dons couldn't be denied however and they levelled in the 70th minute when the home defence got in a mess and Boll was short with a back pass. McGinn reacted quickly using his pace to round the substitute keeper to score. Naysmith was claiming an assist afterwards as he was the last Aberdeen player to touch it before McGinn picked it up! We are happy to give it to you Gary! The experienced left back had another fineĀ game this afternoon.

A minute later Magennis replaced Naysmith then Brown came on for Jack.

Aberdeen were now in complete control with Rae controlling the game from the middle of the park. A lapse in concentration then saw him give the ball away and after it was worked to Ebbers the German hit a curling effort that flew wide. Langfield had it covered though and had dealt well with everything that was thrown his way despite all the changes in front of him. On 81 minutes Pawlett replaced Fraser and a minute later Megginson was on for Considine. Mitch played wide left as Osbourne moved to centre half as every Dons outfield player was given a run in the game.

Magennis did well in the 84th minute when he headed behind from a dangerous free kick having shown good positioning. Three minutes later Jordon Brown played in a superb cross that found Vernon, who had stolen a yard on his marker at the front post. Unfortunately the striker put his effort over. A corner quickly followed and although Magennis found some space, he couldn't convert. A minute from time Pawlett was booked for a foul as St Pauli raced forward. From the resultant free kick the wall did its job and then in the closing seconds there was time for one last corner but once again the Dons defence stood firm. At full time the Aberdeen players were given a very supporting standing ovation from the home support before leaving the leaving the field.

A big thanks to all the Aberdeen fans who made the trip to Germany.

St. Pauli Teamsheet
Tschauner, Kringe, Zambrano, Thorandt, Kalla (Schindler 81), Funk (Daube 68), Boll, Bartels (Schachten 68 [Ginczek 78]), Bruns (Gogia 81), Ebbers (Saglik 81), Thy.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Jack (Brown 75), Shaughnessy (Anderson 46), Considine (Megginson 83), Naysmith (Magennis 72), Clark (Rae 46), Hughes (Fraser 46), Milsom (Hayes 46), Low (Osbourne 46), Paton (McGinn 46), Fallon (Vernon 46).

Unused Subs: Brown.
Attendance: 8,402
Venue: Millerntor Stadion, Hamburg
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries